Beginners and Beyond

Marathon Training Tips and Advice (Read 114 times)

happylily

My advice is to read as many race reports as you can and try to learn something from everyone's experience. There is good and there is bad in those reports and there is always a lesson that can be learned in them. And while you're at it, leave a comment to the person who wrote the report. Something encouraging, or a simple thank you. It promotes some unity and healthy bonding in this community.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

BTW, I agree with Jay.  The marathon is a race no different from any other race.  However, I disagree that more mileage makes it hurt less.  More mileage just means you can run it faster.  It probably hurts more.

When you put it that way, I generally agree. Maybe there is a better chance that it will suck less though.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Definitely, a thought came to my mind this morning......... I am probably going to puke the morning before the race lol.

My advice is to read as many race reports as you can and try to learn something from everyone's experience. There is good and there is bad in those reports and there is always a lesson that can be learned in them. And while you're at it, leave a comment to the person who wrote the report. Something encouraging, or a simple thank you. It promotes some unity and healthy bonding in this community.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

#artbydmcbride

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Run lots, mostly easy,....sometimes hard

Runners run

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol good advice.

Run lots, mostly easy,....sometimes hard

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

LS,

Did you have a goal time?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Whose LS?

LS,

Did you have a goal time?

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Like masochism a bit there LtH?

I have a great damned time training hard.  Yes, it hurts, it is work, but if I didn't enjoy it and "have fun with it" I would go do something else more rewarding.

Now, one of the big differences between us is where we started and have been relatively healthy my entire life.

Well, some people do marathons for fun.  Ahem....

Damaris

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Whose LS?

Um...

yeah that...

FS

call it mad typing typo. (been writing a ton this morning... gah)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, well... I do have a time that I would like to finish under but I haven't really said it out loud as I know many would tell me it isn't possible unless train real seriously and stuff - blah blah. But...... I guess I could mention it....

I'd like to finish under 4:30:00, but I would be pleased with finishing under 4:50:00.

Um...

yeah that...

FS

call it mad typing typo. (been writing a ton this morning... gah)

PRs

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Don't sell yourself short.

Provided you are near the shape you were in for your 1:56 HM, you work through your plan and don't have any major setback. (Including race day screw-ups) you should be fairly near 4 hours.

For example:

My first (and only) marathon so far, I *think* I was in 3:45 shape. But I screwed myself with breakfast (too much) and ended up walking about 10 miles of the last half. And that netted me a 5:0X.

onemile

Provided you are near the shape you were in for your 1:56 HM, you work through your plan and don't have any major setback. (Including race day screw-ups) you should be fairly near 4 hours.

+1, maybe not 4 hours but < 4:15 seems reasonable. You can reassess after getting through your training plan but you should be much closer to 4 hrs than to 5!

LRB

+2

I understand your hesitance to declare a time goal on an open forum but it is important to have one otherwise what exactly are you attempting to do, run until you cannot anymore and hope that 26.2 miles is before then.

Your training runs will give you an idea if your goal pace per mile is feasible (10:18 for a 4:30) or not, then as One says you can reassess at that time.  But absolutely train with a time goal so at least you have a clue.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Definitely, that's the reason I'm not really picking a goal yet. I figure I will think more seriously about a goal time halfway through my training and then again near the end of my training and closer to the race.

I really, really, really, really would love to finish between 4:00:00 and 4:15:00 but I will not make that a goal this early on, especially with this being my first marathon. Smile

+1, maybe not 4 hours but < 4:15 seems reasonable. You can reassess after getting through your training plan but you should be much closer to 4 hrs than to 5!

PRs

So 10:18 is GMP.  No one is laughing at you, it is entirely possible with a sub-2 HM to your credit.

Maybe try the last 5-6 miles of your LR at that pace roughly halfway through your training.  If 10:18 feels too hard to maintain then, back off.  If it feels easy and you finish the LR in good shape, shoot for a faster goal time.  If it feels a bit strenuous but like you'd be able to do more miles at that effort the next time, that's your pace.  Smile