Beginners and Beyond

Half marathon before marathon, on Hansons (Read 54 times)

Zelanie

Well I raced my HM super early in the program, but I kept my Tuesday speed session the same, dropped the Thursday tempo, and moved some easy miles to earlier in the week.

Then afterwards I took two days off, then jumped back into normal mileage but all at easy pace for the next week.  I did do a ton of hiking on the extra days off, so that might actually have been a wash.

MothAudio

Thurs - Tempo: 9 miles at MP (+wu/cd)

This workout alone would tell me if I'm kidding myself or not. YMMV. But I would not expect to race a half three days later. Here's what my half marathon race week looks like... as you can see I increase the frequency of faster than race pace but keep the volume very low.

Week 42: 42 miles - Taper
      Monday: SRD - legs feel like pistons - wanna run!!!
      Tuesday: 6 miles 52:30 - 8:45 avg. pace - recovery + strides. Felt kinda sluggish but everytime I looked at my pace it was faster than expected - encouraging. The more I tried to slow down the quicker the pace. Figured out I'm in A corral.
      Wednesday: 5 miles 43:01 - 8:36 avg. pace - 2x1000m @ 6:57 pace w/90 sec. recovery + strides. Feelin' good.
      Thursday: 4 miles 34:44 - 8:41 avg. pace - recovery / easy + 2xstrides. Started blah, finished strong.
      Friday: 4 miles 33:59 - 8:30 avg. pace - 2x2:00 @ 10k pace [6:55 pace] + stride. Best I've felt overall this week ~ legs were jumpin'!
      Saturday: 6 miles 52:24 - 8:44 avg. pace - 6x400m @ 1:40-1:50 w/400m jog. Speed taper done.
      Sunday: 17 miles Columbus Half Marathon
      1:36:33 [New Master PB]

And what my normal week could look like to compare how much I cut back...

Week 37: 84 miles
      Monday
      : SRD
      Tuesday15 miles 1:56:38 - 7:46 avg. pace - 3x3000m @ 7:17 avg. pace w/600m recovery @ 7:51 avg. pace. I'm happy :> A.M. / I'm happy with this - 7:16 pace the 2nd 3000m repeat A.M. / 3 miles @ 4.4 mph / XT reverse leg press / P.M.
      Wednesday: 8 miles 1:09:12 - 8:39 avg. pace - easy A.M. / 7 miles 1:06:09 - 9:27 avg. pace - easy hilly trail P.M.
      Thursday: 10 miles 1:29:20 - 8:56 avg. pace - easy A.M. / 6 miiles 55:06 - 9:11 avg. pace - easy + 4x200m hill sprints @ 5:36 pace P.M.
      Friday: 8 miles 1:10:08 - 8:46 avg. pace - easy.
      Saturday: 11 miles 1:28:18 - 8:01 avg. pace - 5 mile tempo @ 7:15 pace + 2x400m @ 6:14 pace w/400m jog. Pleased the pace felt comfortable for the tempo, the only time my breathing became labored was on the 200m hill but quickly recovered even while pushing the pace. Last two miles were at 7:06 pace and could have held this pace further.
      Sunday: 8 miles 1:05:57 - 8:11 avg. pace - easy progression [9:18-7:25] A.M. This was a fun workout, unexpected progression as I managed to work my way through all of my easy paces. / 8 miles 1:04:19 - 8:02 avg. pace - moderate run P.M. Miles 5-7 @ sub 7:30 pace. Highly enjoyable run! Cruise baby!

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

onemile

Yes I actually read the book. Mostly.  But the example they show is during a week when Tuesday is speed rather than strength, and the race is a 5k or 10k rather than HM. So didn't know if either of those factors would make a difference.

I used Hansons Advanced twice and both times I did a tune up half. In both cases, I scrapped the Thursday tempo and cut the miles back the few days before the race.  The first time, my half was 4 weeks out from my marathon. I ran a crappy half and a great marathon.  The second time was 6 weeks out. I ran a great half and a crappy marathon.  In both cases I jumped right back into training afterwards and did not miss any of the scheduled workouts.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Count me in on B-Plus' comments.

I have a HM 5 weeks prior to my goal Marathon and I intend to train through, the HM is mostly race practice and final gear decisions. Treated as a hard workout.

I will use it as an overall dress rehearsal and in no way a predictor of my marathon time. (I do however have the benefit of a V-Dot test designed plan. )

As far as LRB' comments regarding Tempo timing, the HM falls on easy miles and I have a Tempo 2 days before that I will do and a Tempo the day after. Depending on how everything feels the Tempo after may become an easy run. (at 5 weeks out from Goal my mileage and intensities are starting to ease.)

Though I'm not following Hansons.

(10k last week-end was also 2 days after a Tempo and had an 18 miler shortly after)

DavePNW

I used Hansons Advanced twice and both times I did a tune up half. In both cases, I scrapped the Thursday tempo and cut the miles back the few days before the race.  The first time, my half was 4 weeks out from my marathon. I ran a crappy half and a great marathon.  The second time was 6 weeks out. I ran a great half and a crappy marathon.  In both cases I jumped right back into training afterwards and did not miss any of the scheduled workouts.

Did you ever figure out what caused the difference between the two situations? I can make some guesses, but I assume you spent some time thinking about it.

Dave

LRB

Did you ever figure out what caused the difference between the two situations? I can make some guesses, but I assume you spent some time thinking about it.

She thought her GMP may have been too aggressive the second time.  Do you pay attention to what people post in the group.  

onemile

I was running higher mileage the second time. I added 2 miles to every easy run the second time I did the plan. I was pretty run down by the end and I think the 10 day taper wasn't enough to recover in time.  The first time I pretty much followed the plan.

Actually, LRB, my GMP wasn't too aggressive by the time I got to the race.  (It was actually fairly conservative). I had trained with the 3:30 paces the whole time though, while my best race up to my tune up half only predicted a 3:37.  So it made the first half of the plan pretty hard.  But my tune up half ended up predicting a 3:25 or something (I ran a 1:37:06). I ended up running a 3:33 marathon but was on 3:30 pace the first 16 miles, which should have been a perfectly reasonable pace, if not conservative. I just felt off from the start and it felt too hard early on.

onemile

PS If I used Hansons again (doubtful that I ever will), I would do the half six weeks out and make the taper a little longer. And maybe not try to run 70 miles the week after my tune up half, maybe take it slightly easier that week.

LRB

Actually, LRB, my GMP wasn't too aggressive by the time I got to the race.

Hi, my name is stupid. 

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Hi, my name is stupid. 

Open mouth, insert foot.

Wink

LRB

Open mouth, insert foot.

One of my favorite cross-training regiments.

DavePNW

Hi, my name is stupid. 

At least I don't feel so bad now for not remembering the details.

Dave

LRB

At least I don't feel so bad now for not remembering the details.

Everyone has a role, mine is dunce.  lol

onemile

Hi, my name is stupid. 

DavePNW

PS If I used Hansons again (doubtful that I ever will), I would do the half six weeks out and make the taper a little longer. And maybe not try to run 70 miles the week after my tune up half, maybe take it slightly easier that week.

Thanks onemile, this is all good stuff & very helpful.

My GMP is pretty aggressive based on existing race times, but I have been able to hit all the workouts so far. Like your 2nd time, I have also added a lot of miles on top of the plan; in fact the whole thing is pretty unrecognizable other than Tues-Thurs, which I have been following closely. So I may be at risk of overtraining, will have to try to be careful with how I handle this half, and the taper. I was already worried about the taper being too short, so I may have more questions for you then.

As it is, some of the comments here are giving me second thoughts about running this half. But I did pay the money already.

Dave