Beginners and Beyond

In a situation of war, should normal rules and ethics apply? (Read 109 times)

Birdwell

You can put them in the washing machine and let them air dry.  I've never had more than one pair in with towels and sheets;  a whole load of shoes might be a bad idea Big grin.

The place around here that takes donated shoes will wash them before distributing them. Your place won't wash them?

Maybe just rinse them off with a hose briefly If anything.

happylily

Thanks Jay! I'll try that today. I hope I don't break the washing machine. Big grin

Oski, lovely pictures! I could never cut a tree down (unless it was diseased), I love them too much. We sold a house which had an old miniature Scots pine in front. It was really really old, and kind of scragly (scragly is not a real word? didn't know that...). I loved that tree and thought it gave our old tudor style house an air of mystery. But the new owners cut it down and they didn't even bother to plant something else in its place. I cried when I saw that. Idiots.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

The place around here that takes donated shoes will wash them before distributing them. Your place won't wash them?

Maybe just rinse them off with a hose briefly If anything.

It's in Jamaica. What if they don't bother washing them before handing them out? I doubt the kids needing them have washing machines at home...

Hip Redux

Your back yard appears to be considerably colder than the front, Oski!

That's New England for you.  Weather is always changing!  Tongue

BTW - war to donating shoes and Christmas trees might be the most random hijack of a thread.

LRS

Chasing Muses

Did you know the original title of War and Peace was War, What Is It Good For?

I'm a little ashamed that I had to Google to remember what that line was from. Smile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

... and kind of scragly (scragly is not a real word? didn't know that...)....

scraggly, not scragly.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Back to the original topic, how ethical are your ethics if you can pick and choose when to apply them or use a different set to justify your behavior?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

scraggly, not scragly.

You are right! Thank you, George! Finally someone who takes the time to correct me, I appreciate. Smile Stupid Urban Dictionary had scragly in. I guess I should use a different online dictionary. Big grin.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Having seen a video of "the enemy" beheading a captive, my thoughts are that war should not be "played" by any rules.  It should be fought to complete and utter victory or unconditional surrender, and waged only in the most dire of situations.  Wasting human life on political posturing is what's truly criminal.

"You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us."

That's kind of my thoughts.  We should avoid war as much as possible, but when we're left with no choice I don't think there should be any cameras.  War by definition is ugly, nasty and I don't think it's something you want to scrapbook about, unless its to be a warning to future generations.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

happylily

My father-in-law was a prisoner of war during the second war and so was my American uncle (on SO's side), in Korea. I know next to nothing about the reality of wars, but I'm glad that some soldiers somewhere once decided to follow the established rules of the time.

kittenkat

The c word is repulsive

Ok, take this one step further theoretically... If someone killed your child/mother/father would you kill them given the chance? That is a closed situation because your family did nothing wrong, but think of your emotional response. Then put those emotions into a battlefield, and the other side are feeling exactly the same about their friends and family. War is horrific, and yet so many of us are so sheltered from it. We know it's happening but it's happening to someone else.

happylily

Ok, take this one step further theoretically... If someone killed your child/mother/father would you kill them given the chance? That is a closed situation because your family did nothing wrong, but think of your emotional response. Then put those emotions into a battlefield, and the other side are feeling exactly the same about their friends and family. War is horrific, and yet so many of us are so sheltered from it. We know it's happening but it's happening to someone else.

I've asked myself this question often. The answer has always been no, but I can't say for certain, of course. I've always been opposed to death penalty. I agree with self-defence and I agree with protecting society, but I believe in rules when it comes to life and death.

No more marathons

I wonder - if we had no rules to make war "nicer", would we have fewer wars, and would they be of shorter duration?

During WW2 there were an estimated 305,000 civilians killed in Germany from Allied bombing, and about 110,000 in Japan from the two atomic bombs.  In today's "rules" neither of these are allowed - but did both result in an earlier end to hostilities and the resulting saving of military lives?

Is someone who dies of shrapnel any less dead than someone who dies from poison gas?  Why is one "good" and the other "bad"?

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Love the Half

That's not an appropriate analogy.  War is the deliberate application of violence to achieve a political objective.  What you have described is criminal activity.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

I find it interesting that the professional soldiers on this forum think that the soldier was held appropriately accountable for failing conduct himself as he had been trained and instructed to do.  If you are a soldier, you don't get to make the rules; you get to abide by them.  Period.  That's part of what it means to be a professional soldier rather than an armed thug.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).