Beginners and Beyond

Are you afraid to share your race goals? (Read 106 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks for the pep talk, onemile. 

So, are you announcing your goal then?

I agree with onemile, BTW.

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

Yeah that's pretty much my thought. People respond differently to pressure though and some people may perform better if they don't feel the pressure of putting their goals out there. I kind of like it.

I've actually yelled at myself during races when I felt myself slowing down, because I knew that I'd said I was going to do XYZ, and I don't like crow.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Hip Redux

Yeah that's pretty much my thought. People respond differently to pressure though and some people may perform better if they don't feel the pressure of putting their goals out there. I kind of like it.

I do get that, but I also think that people shouldn't be so afraid of failure.    I don't really mind if people don't want to announce their goals, but call it what it is (too much pressure, etc etc) and not blame superstition or something.

And Dave - I have DNSed when I announced my goals and when I didn't, so there's your proof it's not a jinx.  Smile I also find it a little odd that people would believe that after months of training, their success is dependent on jinxes and whatnot.  Hey, at least give yourself credit that you put in the effort (or didn't).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I do get that, but I also think that people shouldn't be so afraid of failure.    I don't really mind if people don't want to announce their goals, but call it what it is (too much pressure, etc etc) and not blame superstition or something.

And Dave - I have DNSed when I announced my goals and when I didn't, so there's your proof it's not a jinx.  Smile I also find it a little odd that people would believe that after months of training, their success is dependent on jinxes and whatnot.  Hey, at least give yourself credit that you put in the effort (or didn't).

Talking about DNSs, we are in for SF next year.  Maybe you want a do over?

Damaris

catwhoorg

Labrat

I pretty much post my running goals and race goals routinely, so not in the least afraid.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

DavePNW

Good question, as a rule I generally keep all that stuff to myself but more as an don't count your chickens before they hatch type of thing than being afraid.

If asked sure I would share my goals, I just do not do it unsolicited or openly.

As for Shalane, she wears her heart and emotions on her sleeve and is not the braggadocios type so I have no problem with it.  Whereas my life experiences has taught me to keep my pie-hole closed until the deal is sealed and for the most part I follow that.  lol

Pretty much me. I have generally been pretty tight-lipped about race goals, or sometimes even the fact that I am running a race at all. I guess just superstition - running gods, chickens hatching, whatever you want to call it. But the only person I am worried about disappointing is myself - I know people here will be pretty supportive & understanding no matter what happens, and no one else I know IRL cares. I have been starting to open up a bit more though, I think due to gaining more racing experience.

Of course I always set goals for myself; interestingly I have exceeded them in every race I've done of HM or less (granted not a very big sample size), but fell short in every marathon. Hoping to get off the schneid on that one....

Dave

DavePNW

Ha! Too late.

And the running gods do not care about my training! They would allow me to get well-trained just for the added enjoyment of smiting me on race day!

Dave

onemile

I've actually yelled at myself during races when I felt myself slowing down, because I knew that I'd said I was going to do XYZ, and I don't like crow.

I don't really consider it eating crow to say this is what I want to run and then fail to do it, unless I am trash talking or bragging about it beforehand, which I don't do.

DavePNW

This is a bit OT, but I have found getting my brain involved in races is the worst thing I can do. I need to let my legs do what they've been trained, and try to keep my brain out of it. Because it will do its damndest to talk my legs out of doing what they're trying to do.

Dave

B-Plus

No, I just make excuses if I screw up.

RSX

My only goal all along was to hit 10 official marathons which I have told maybe 10 people.  I'm at 10 now but 1 shy of what I want . My only bucket list marathon is New Brunswick . Any additional ones such as Boston will be awesome

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My only goal all along was to hit 10 official marathons which I have told maybe 10 people but now 100000000 people know.  I'm at 10 now but 1 shy of what I want . My only bucket list marathon is New Brunswick . Any additional ones such as Boston will be awesome

FYP.

Damaris

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

My wife dives me crazy thinking saying this or that will "jinx" something. I just tell her it's bad luck to be superstitious.

bluerun

Super B****

I don't really consider it eating crow to say this is what I want to run and then fail to do it, unless I am trash talking or bragging about it beforehand, which I don't do.

Maybe "eating crow" is the wrong expression... it's more like I'm reminding myself that I'm not insane for thinking it's impossible for me to achieve a particular goal, since other (smarter) people besides for me think I can do it.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

RSX

FYP.

Yeah at least that many. Plus once you all tell others I'm screwed