Beginners and Beyond

Bullying (Read 129 times)

bullying is bad. yes

what I dont understand is how are you 6'5 312 lbs and afraid of anyone.

I will get bashed for this, but I would rather have some jerk A-hole that is mean as hell blocking for me than someone afraid to stand up for themselves.

I could see two careers being finished over this nonsense.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Hip Redux

Even if that jerk a-hole was spending his time regrading and bashing your teammates?  Could you trust him to do the right thing for the team?

Team dynamics is more important than being a brute, IMO.   Yes, even in football.

I don't know if Martin was afraid, or if he didn't want to retaliate.   There's a difference.    And on a team of football players, not one stood up to Incognito it appears - so Martin possibly didn't want to be a target anymore than he already was in the locker room.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Soooo.....you're a Raider fan?  I don't hear about too many psycho jerks in successful organizations.

bullying is bad. yes

I will get bashed for this, but I would rather have some jerk A-hole that is mean as hell blocking for me than someone afraid to stand up for themselves.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

bullying is bad. yes

Sorry. In my opinion you're a bit off base here.

Incognito called him a "n******".

Incognito threatened to kill him.

Incognito said he wanted to shit in his mouth.

Incognito threatened to slap his mom.

There is a HUGE difference in being a jerk a-hole that is a mean as hell blocker and a psychopath. There is no way in hell this should be accepted or tolerated as part of the game.

Martin did stand up for himself. He took the high road and walked away because he wouldn't tolerate the behavior. He has shone a bright light on the punk ass Incognito once and for all. Thinking he is less of a man because he didn't physically confront him (as I've seen many claim he should have done) is silly.

Just B.S.

Sorry. In my opinion you're a bit off base here.

Incognito called him a "n******".

Incognito threatened to kill him.

Incognito said he wanted to shit in his mouth.

Incognito threatened to slap his mom.

There is a HUGE difference in being a jerk a-hole that is a mean as hell blocker and a psychopath. There is no way in hell this should be accepted or tolerated as part of the game.

Martin did stand up for himself. He took the high road and walked away because he wouldn't tolerate the behavior. He has shone a bright light on the punk ass Incognito once and for all. Thinking he is less of a man because he didn't physically confront him (as I've seen many claim he should have done) is silly.

Agree with everything said here.

There is no way this should be tolerated anywhere , in any game or any workplace. And the team is a workplace. And

these people football players are being used a role models by millions not just for adults but for children.

I would much sooner have my sons look up to Martin as a role model over the ingnoramus bully that Incognito's has

shown himself to be.

I think Martin showed a tremendous amount of courage and judging from all the  reported past

transgressions it was high time someone spoke up and shone a light on it.

Just B.S.

And IMO it is not nonsense. Nonsense is letting it continue unchallenged.

GC100k

Incognito was kicked off of two college teams and three NFL teams.  He's good at football, but his a-holeness gets him run off.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I like crazies like Kyle Turley who bullied the other team, but when you were on his team he had your back.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

catwhoorg

Labrat

Racial abuse, in a work environment.

Even one time is enough for severe sanctions under discrimination legislation.

(not that in a private environment its any less nasty, but there the law does a little more leeway).

Also just how durn stupid do you have to be to leave such abuse as a voicemail ? easily saved and easily passed on.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sounds like incognito has taken way too many steroids.......... I've seen idiots on steroids who are always so angry..... almost in an psychopathic manner. They try to stare everyone down, ready for  a fight.... Idiots they are.

As for regular bullying, the kind I was used to in school - name calling, ganging up on someone, beating up on someone, etc... I believe/d in fighting back or defending the ones who can't/couldn't fight back, even if the bully was someone I knew or was sort of friends with, I didn't care.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Some people just do not want to fight, which is not necessarily an indictment on them, but may be an indictment on the person would would pursue one anyway.

Sitting here thinking about it, I guess I just never judged the guy getting picked on as to why he would not defend himself.  I did however, judge the guy doing the picking.  Go figure!  Confused

happylily

Some people just do not want to fight, which is not necessarily an indictment on them, but may be an indictment on the person would would pursue one anyway.

Sitting here thinking about it, I guess I just never judged the guy getting picked on as to why he would not defend himself.  I did however, judge the guy doing the picking.  Go figure!  Confused

Well said, LRB.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

I have a bit of a mixed take on this based on my military background.  Basic training in the military is based significantly on bullying and intimidation.  However, it is a "break them down and then build them up" process.  We are training people to do things that will put their lives at risk and they need to learn how to obey orders immediately.  The key though is that the only bullying that is tolerated is deliberately conducted by those in charge.  The soldiers being bullied are expected to pull together as a team in no small part to help them cope with the stress and intimidation being directed at them.

Unfortunately, too many organizations take the military model and use it for other purposes.  Police academies are notorious for being structured around the military model when there is no logical reason for them to be structured in that manner.  Police are expected to exercise judgement and discretion and operate independently nearly from the first day on the job and that's completely different from the military.  Various organizations are notorious for hazing rituals.  Medical interns who end up working 80-100 hour weeks just because those who went before them worked like that.  Patients die because idiots in the medical profession think, "I did it so you should have to do it as well."  Hint.  Tradition is sometimes stupid.

In the NFL, there is a culture of veterans hazing rookies.  Most of it is fairly benign stuff such as rookies carrying equipment or being stuck paying a large tab in a restaurant.  Some of it is worse and some of it is a lot worse.  The problem with hazing is that it has a tendency to get worse and worse.  People who survived the hazing think it was worse than it actually was so they try to make it as bad as they falsely recall.  Over time, good natured pranks turn into things that can put people's lives at risk.  Moreover, unlike the military in which the hazing and bullying is carefully controlled and deliberately applied, hazing in other organizations is uncontrolled and applied in a haphazard rather than in a systematic manner.  My best guess, and it's just a guess, is that Incognito thought he was merely engaging in "good natured" hazing of Martin.  I'm willing to bet he's done the same kind of stuff with other players but, before now, no one said anything.

We shall see if I'm right.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

Well said, LRB.

Even with the typo?  Joking

if someone is getting picked on it can or can not be partially their fault. depends on the situation.

Its not really my place to judge this stuff as I dont have much info. I think that in a locker room and on the field football is different than most places that we work. I am actually pretty sensitive to the bully stuff, but I think that the NFLPA will now have the guys go through the same trainings that 7th grade kids go through. They will sign a pledge and the world will be a better place.

http://www.cybraryman.com/bullying.html

here is some good info about bullying.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas