Beginners and Beyond

Grete's Great Gallop HM RR (Read 84 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job on the race!  Congrats on the new PR!

Damaris

Great job on the new PR, Meaghan!

It seems like you had the whole race well under control, knowing exactly what goal to shoot for and staying right on pace to achieve it.

Good luck with the sub 4, if you can attack that race in the same businesslike manner, it should be yours.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice race for you, congratulations!  And very nice of you to go run your friend in!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Mmmmm...beer

Great job, congrats!! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

Sounds like you ran a solid race.  That's a great mark of progress that not even the elites could lap you on this one. Smile  Congrats and good luck on your marathon debut!

Love the Half

I wonder if this race has the longest name.

Meaghan, the one thing that struck me was how you knew 1:49 was out the window even two miles out.  That shows serious, serious focus on the business at hand.  It also shows better math skills than I have.  Wink  I'm not certain that those hills in the latter part of the race point to any training weakness.  I think they just point to you running damned hard.  At the Charleston Distance Run (15 miler) you go through an underpass at Mile 14.  The climb out is only about 20 feet but I just crawl up that incline every time.  Looks to me like you ran a really good race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Congrats on the PR!  I remember that race!  SO PAINFUL yet a lot of people seem to PR on it, perhaps due to the familiarity of the course.  In terms of hills, I've always believed they can be an advantage in a longer race like the half.  The surge can help clear lactic acid.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

tracilynn

Great job. I look forward to reading your sub 4 marathon RR. Cool

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

Congrats on the PR!

meaghansketch

Thank you so much everyone, again!

I decided to buy one of my race pictures... Not from when I was running the race (those all look terrible) but from when I went back to pace my friend. Here we are somewhere between mile 11 and the end.

Ric-G: Thanks, yes, I think the mileage is making a difference... Kind of a pain, I'd like to be running a bit less but whenever I run more my times improve Tongue

Rick- I know!  They always have to finish uphill for no reason whatsoever!

Damaris- Thank you!

Jay- Thank you!  I sure hope so!  The plan is relaxed and in control the whole way through.  We'll see if it happens!

Scott- Thanks!

Dave- Thanks!

Zelanie-- Ha ha, all it means is I am not running at double their pace...  it's sad how many years it's taken me to be able to say that!  Thank you!

Brad- Thank you!  I just knew I had been hitting right around 8:20 the whole race and I would have had to keep that up through the last hills.  The 8:39 was the nail in the coffin of any chance I had at 1:49.  Thanks for your insight on the hills-- I thought I had run enough, but you never know.

Scap- Good to see you around!  My PR was from the same course (Manhattan half in January) so it didn't surprise me that I would set a PR despite the hills, but it does make me wonder what I could do on a flat course with a little less humidity.  I wouldn't be surprised if I lost maybe 30 seconds from the hills and a minute from the weather.

tracilynn- Thank you!  I hope I am writing one three weeks from now!

Mitch- Thank you!

happylily

It's a great picture, Meaghan. You look strong, happy and beautiful. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010