Beginners and Beyond

Ozone ThursDailies (Read 19 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

So now that the wildfire smoke isn't an issue, the hot weather is generating ozone alert days where the AQI is trending to red due to the pollution from all the traffic in the greater NY metro area.  Fortunately, I like to run in the morning, when the effect is reduced.

6 miles easy for the first run of my marathon training plan.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Greta's Run 5k, 5/19; Scotch Plains 5k, 6/12

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ozone has been an issue lately, sigh.

I have 6 later. Maybe a Barre class.

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Ozone has been an issue lately, sigh.

I have 6 later. Maybe a Barre class.

My son was watching a video with the premise that cars are the dominant species on the planet, noting, among other things, that parking lots take up as much as 30% of the acreage in some major cities and citing trivia such as the parking lots around Dodgers stadium have a bigger footprint than the Pentagon but are empty most of the time, creating a waste of land use as well as being ecologically damaging as all that area just creates runoff instead of absorbing rain.

Training day for me…first VRE train to Union station in DC, now on Acela to Boston.. then bus to Portland where my sister aimee will pick me up for the drive north.

Fred, you made me look, but it’s a little early in the season for Ozone Watch

https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My son was watching a video with the premise that cars are the dominant species on the planet, noting, among other things, that parking lots take up as much as 30% of the acreage in some major cities and citing trivia such as the parking lots around Dodgers stadium have a bigger footprint than the Pentagon but are empty most of the time, creating a waste of land use as well as being ecologically damaging as all that area just creates runoff instead of absorbing rain.

It's sad. This is why the stupid real estate lobby wants to bring us back to downtown. Because of the wasted space. How about we make something different with them; find a better use?

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

It's sad. This is why the stupid real estate lobby wants to bring us back to downtown. Because of the wasted space. How about we make something different with them; find a better use?

Cue Joni Mitchell.

sdWhiskers

Training day for me…first VRE train to Union station in DC, now on Acela to Boston.. then bus to Portland where my sister aimee will pick me up for the drive north.

Sad that we won't make it to Maine this summer. DH's entire family is there.

sdWhiskers

4 miles. Enjoying a summer where we haven't turned on our AC yet.

sdWhiskers

6 miles easy for the first run of my marathon training plan.

Woo hoo! Except marathon training in summer is awful   I'll start my plan at the end of the month.

Half Crazy K 2.0

It feels like 99. I had to walk to our administration building.  Botswana, uphill. Probably a rest day.

DavePNW

Air’s actually not bad here! As quickly as the smoke came yesterday, it left. Thankfully. They had attributed it to some fires, but also after-effects of fireworks.  I ran 6 slow recovery miles, feeling yesterday’s workout. 

Also, finally pulled the trigger on a couple pairs of the $90 Ghost 14s. Extending the time before I have to upgrade to a new version.

I‘ll probably end up with a non-plan marathon plan. I did finally pick a race, on 9/16, which is only 10 weeks out (just realized that now ). But right now I’m thinking about a half in 3 weeks. I’ve been getting good mileage; my workouts have been VO2max focused, I‘ll switch them over to more LT after the half. I’m looking at another half 4 weeks after that, 3 weeks out from the marathon. I am not too worried about having a perfectly designed plan; as long as I can stay healthy, everything else should take care of itself.

Fred & Whiskers—what kind of plans are you doing? I assume the tried & true Hansons for Fred?

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Air’s actually not bad here! As quickly as the smoke came yesterday, it left. Thankfully. They had attributed it to some fires, but also after-effects of fireworks.  I ran 6 slow recovery miles, feeling yesterday’s workout. 

Also, finally pulled the trigger on a couple pairs of the $90 Ghost 14s. Extending the time before I have to upgrade to a new version.

I‘ll probably end up with a non-plan marathon plan. I did finally pick a race, on 9/16, which is only 10 weeks out (just realized that now ). But right now I’m thinking about a half in 3 weeks. I’ve been getting good mileage; my workouts have been VO2max focused, I‘ll switch them over to more LT after the half. I’m looking at another half 4 weeks after that, 3 weeks out from the marathon. I am not too worried about having a perfectly designed plan; as long as I can stay healthy, everything else should take care of itself.

Fred & Whiskers—what kind of plans are you doing? I assume the tried & true Hansons for Fred?

Yup - it works for me, and that's what matters (physically and mentally).

Once your races are firm, feel free to post them on the race thread and I'll get them on the main list.

sdWhiskers

I think I will follow the training I used for 2018 CIM, which is my PR and best training cycle ever (including HM PR). The plan came from my friend/coach who was writing my schedule. Mileage was on the lighter side but maybe that's why it worked! Undecided if I'll follow as is or add easy miles each week. Also, typically, when I'm about 3 weeks out from a marathon, I'm just over it so thinking a shorter buildup could be beneficial, as least mentally.

sdWhiskers

I have 4 pairs of the 14 in my closet now   But I've also never not used them.

sdWhiskers

It feels like 99. I had to walk to our administration building.  Botswana, uphill. Probably a rest day.