Beginners and Beyond

I ran on pavement, and I liked it! But... (Read 140 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Are we talking about asphalt? (Good)

Or about concrete? (Bad)

I prefer asphalt over anything else until they start paving the roads near me with this rubbery stuff you find at the water parks which I would run an ultra on if they did.........

Randy

Love the Half

Wet feet suck worse than anything.  Concrete, asphalt, reinforced steel.  All are better than wet feet.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mostly harmless

I'll take wet feet over concrete any day.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

happylily

I don't get the wet feet thing... When we run in the rain, don't we always get wet feet? What's wrong with wet feet, aside from the annoying swiching sound of the shoes? That LTH is a total wuss... Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Goorun

I don't get the wet feet thing... When we run in the rain, don't we always get wet feet? What's wrong with wet feet, aside from the annoying swiching sound of the shoes? That LTH is a total wuss... Big grin

Big grin

Living on the PNW, I run in rain, my feet being not just wet but soaked, most of the fall/winter.

Only other option would be TM and that is not happening. People who run on TM most the time are  the crazy ones. Wink

I don't like concrete, but I'm ok with asphalt. Trails are fun and I love them, but not ideal for fast, precise running/training.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

GC100k

Big grin

Living on the PNW, I run in rain, my feet being not just wet but soaked, most of the fall/winter.

Only other option would be TM and that is not happening. People who run on TM most the time are  the crazy ones. Wink

I don't like concrete, but I'm ok with asphalt. Trails are fun and I love them, but not ideal for fast, precise running/training.

I run at a cross-country course a lot.  A friend said he couldn't run there because the footing is too uneven and he couldn't really train.  The fact that I see Olympians and national champions running there all the time didn't sway him.

I don't see anything wrong with wet feet either.  Morning runs on grass keep your feet soaked from dew.  Before they built the bridges at my trail, I just ran through the streams.  As long as you have socks that can handle it, it's no big deal.  All that being said, I'm pretty much a fair weather runner.  And never on a treadmill.

Goorun

I run at a cross-country course a lot.  A friend said he couldn't run there because the footing is too uneven and he couldn't really train.  The fact that I see Olympians and national champions running there all the time didn't sway him.

I don't see anything wrong with wet feet either.  Morning runs on grass keep your feet soaked from dew.  Before they built the bridges at my trail, I just ran through the streams.  As long as you have socks that can handle it, it's no big deal.  All that being said, I'm pretty much a fair weather runner.  And never on a treadmill.

Those are two different thinks for me. Unevenness (is that a word?) of trails is good for runners. It strengthens all kind of  muscles and that helps with injury prevention. I train on trails too and most fartleks are on trails, so of course you could do quality runs on trails.

Saying that, I run some intervals where I need distance to be precise and footing solid and it would not work on trails. I run those mostly on a track.

I could see myself eventually stop running intervals, running on roads and track and switch completely to trails. It's more fun that way.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Love the Half

Unless it's raining really hard, I can run for about an hour before my feet get really wet but once they do get really wet, I hate it.  That's why trail races with multiple stream crossings hold zero attraction for me.  I agree completely with Goo that trails which force you to use a lot of different smaller muscles are great for your body from any number of perspectives.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RSX

I hate trails as I would be the one tripping over every root especially during foliage when you can't see them as well. Kudos for running in the rain though. I normally only do races, and long runs in the rain.

Runner's knee probably doesn't happen on 1 run (had it in the past). You can get temporary pain by doing anything new, so maybe take some time off.

Village people

I lived in the PNW and I grew to love running in the rain.

Love the Half

I lived in the PNW and I grew to love running in the rain.

That's about like saying, "I lived in South Texas and I learned to love running in the heat."  Hell, you either learn to love it or you quit.  Smile

Village people

That's about like saying, "I lived in South Texas and I learned to love running in the heat."  Hell, you either learn to love it or you quit.  Smile

I still have my best runs in the rain. It must be psychological. Too bad the love of hills didn't take.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Wrong, I've lived in Phoenix for 35 years and I still don't love or even like running in the heat. I just have to tolerate it.

You people have issues