Beginners and Beyond

How would you stay involved in running if you couldn't run? (Read 90 times)

LRB

I have spent a total of 18 weeks on the bench since January 2012, and in that time have never missed a day of posting on the forums. 

The forums give me everything I need when I cannot run, but not everyone is an internet hobo bum squatter 'ho like I am.  Some people actually get out and do stuff.  Why?  I have no freakin' idea. 

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I have spent a total of 18 weeks on the bench since January 2012, and in that time have never missed a day of posting on the forums. 

The forums give me everything I need when I cannot run, but not everyone is an internet hobo bum squatter 'ho like I am.  Some people actually get out and do stuff.  Why?  I have no freakin' idea. 

LOL!

Randy

Nevrgivup

Maybe its because of easy access to the computer?? I'm on the computer for several hours a day due to school. It is so easy to delve into the forums, fb, or anything else on the webs to distract me. It doesn't mean you have no life.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

LRB

It doesn't mean you have no life.

Of course not.  It means you make the time for things that interest you, whatever/wherever that may be.  Why in the days before the internet, I used to talk to myself.  Now I talk to myself while on the internet, proving I am the same bum I always was. 

Village people

+1 to this and what HL said, you are still a runner.

I mostly want to say that I am sorry and I hope you have a quick recovery. I am kind of on the bench and I spend at least an hour a day riding in my trainer. The activity keeps me sane and gives me my adrenaline fix. I still wear my running shirts, so I am not completely assimilated. Cycling is fun but running is the best.

good luck!

HobbitLegs

elevenses

I wish you all the best as you heal. You've got some great advice. If I were in your position, I'd check in with the local track club about volunteering. There are a few after school centers in my city that sponsor youth running programs. That might be something to look into in your area. I know the schools in my area have also had to make a lot of non-essential budget cuts, so the track and field programs don't have much $$$. I've helped out my nephew's middle school cross country team at meets and practices a few times when my schedule has allowed, and I loved every minute of it.

I would volunteer more frequently for the local running club events.  Encourage others at work to start walking/running.  And support others through online forums.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

onemile

Personally, I don't think I would because I'd find it difficult to be around people who were able to do what I wanted to do but couldn't.  But it sounds like you have a better attitude than I do.

I think the suggestion to give triathlons a try is a good one. That way you can limit the running but still challenge yourself to a longer event.  Even our own Ms. Mandy caved and gave duathlons a try this summer (and admittedly I did one too and it was actually kind of fun minus the miserable weather).

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Move to SA and volunteer at all of Scotty's races.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I think the suggestion to give triathlons a try is a good one. That way you can limit the running but still challenge yourself to a longer event.  Even our own Ms. Mandy caved and gave duathlons a try this summer (and admittedly I did one too and it was actually kind of fun minus the miserable weather).

Haha!  I wouldn't have done it without you!   I have no interest in swimming, but I do admit the duathlon was kind of fun.  I would do it again.

Running is dumb.

onemile

Haha!  I wouldn't have done it without you!   I have no interest in swimming, but I do admit the duathlon was kind of fun.  I would do it again.

I will hold you to that.  

Antipodean

Coach kids! Girls on the run sounds cool as well.

Good luck. 

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

How's the back with biking?  A lot of our local races will have on course marshals that ride around the course to help where needed.  Seen mobile medics as well.

Nevrgivup

How's the back with biking?  A lot of our local races will have on course marshals that ride around the course to help where needed.  Seen mobile medics as well.

I will be able to do short distances running. I said this the last time, but ended up getting up to the HM again. This time will be different. I'm not going through another surgery.  Swimming and biking will not be a problem. Once I'm a better swimmer, I will probably look into Sprint triathlons. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del.