Beginners and Beyond

What is your toughest workout? (Read 103 times)

RSX

My toughest workouts are long runs over 75 degrees.

MothAudio

•  12 miles w/3x 5k @ half marathon race pace [7:21-7:31] w/1000m recovery
      •  12 miles w/8x1000m @ 10 sec./mile faster than HM pace w/600m float recovery @ 10 sec./mile slower than HM race pace - continuous
      •  12 miles w/2x5 miles @ half marathon race pace w/2:00 recovery jog
      •  11 miles w/3x20:00 @ tempo pace w/2:00 recovery + 4xaccelerations @ max effort at end of last rep.
      •  8 miles w/5x3:30 @ 5k race effort on 7% grade w/jog down recovery
      •  7 miles w/8x90 sec. hill repeats @ 9.3 mph / 6% grade / full recovery
      •  6 mile time trial [43:57] over hilly trail - working the hills [this maybe the hardest of them all]

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

This.  Still amazed how much faster I can go pretty comfortably when it's 65-70 instead of 85.

Love the Half

I'm not so sure these are the toughest physically but psychologically they are a bitch to get started and a bitch to finish.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I wish I could run in 75F. Joking

Damaris

LRB

I wish I could run in 75F. 

You can have that crap.

If I were wishing it would be 37 to 42 degrees, with a clear sunny sky and a light wind (3-5 MPH).  As the temps climb past 42, I will take a grey cloudy sky for runs of an hour or more.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I meant, as compared to the temps I'm running for 9-10 months.  I would love to have an average of 50-60 for running, 40-50 for marathons.

You can have that crap.

If I were wishing it would be 37 to 42 degrees, with a clear sunny sky and a light wind (3-5 MPH).  As the temps climb past 42, I will take a grey cloudy sky for runs of an hour or more.

Damaris

RSX

I wish I could run in 75F. Joking

16 miles today and most was 75+. I found every bit of shade along the way.

LRB

I would love to have an average of 50-60 for running, 40-50 for marathons.

You in 40 degrees?  Wearing what, a snow suit lol

What' is the coolest/coldest temp you have run in by the way?

happylily

I ran a half in just below freezing point, with ice on the ground and strong winds. It was NOT pleasant and my muscles stayed tense the whole time. I finished with sore shoulders, a sore back and a runny nose. And I was appropriately dressed.

I also ran a marathon below freezing point, but in the fall, with almost no wind. With long pants, gloves and two shirts on, I was okay, but not really in my element. I like 10-15C (35-55F?). I also didn't mind running in 80*F in the Bahamas and in Niagara. I like the feel of warmth on my skin, even if it slows me down some.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I ran a half in just below freezing point, with ice on the ground and strong winds.

Yeah, that is not a good combination at all, not to mention an icy path.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

35F...in Miami.

While I was running, the people walking their dogs were wearing parkas, hoods, gloves, and ski pants.

You in 40 degrees?  Wearing what, a snow suit lol

What' is the coolest/coldest temp you have run in by the way?

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

At this point, 80F would feel cold.  I remember when October arrives and I start running in 80-85F that I start feeling chilly.

I ran a half in just below freezing point, with ice on the ground and strong winds. It was NOT pleasant and my muscles stayed tense the whole time. I finished with sore shoulders, a sore back and a runny nose. And I was appropriately dressed.

I also ran a marathon below freezing point, but in the fall, with almost no wind. With long pants, gloves and two shirts on, I was okay, but not really in my element. I like 10-15C (35-55F?). I also didn't mind running in 80*F in the Bahamas and in Niagara. I like the feel of warmth on my skin, even if it slows me down some.

Damaris

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I am doing this on Saturday.  How did it go LRB?  I'm not too crazy about doing it in South Dakota on vacation.

I actually have done a couple in the past, but looking at Daniels Marathon Training Plan A, I have one looming that is looking awfully unfriendly:

2 miles easy

2 X 12 minutes @ tempo pace

8 to 10 miles easy

20 minutes @ tempo pace (basically a 5k)

2 miles easy, OOF!

And trip this; that's not even the hardest one, those are to follow!  It just goes to show that sometimes are toughest workout, is our next workout!

Do you have one on the horizon or one that you have done in the past for any distance?  If the former, are you scared?  If latter, were there any tangible results?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I can't decide both come up in the next 2 weeks:

4 x (1 mile) w 3-5 min rest between @ 5:47  + warm-up and Cool down. (6+ total miles)

or

5 x (1200 meters) w 3-5 rest between @ 4:21 + warm-up and Cool down. (7+ total miles)