Beginners and Beyond

Thursday's Planking Penguins (Read 26 times)

Bin Running

You are much closer to the equator right?  PR has similar weather (albeit less hideous than yours) because it's smack North of it.  Your weather sucks and that comes from one who lives where weather sucks too.

Hi 5~..  Big grin Maybe I am used to it already.. Would certainly hope to be able to race at somewhere cooler and see the diff...

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

You are gonna smoke that FM too.. Very excited to see how you do come Nov..

I do think I am being a bit conservative at this point, but 8:30 is still faster than my HM pr.  I'll assess it again after my run, but as my first MP long run I'd rather make sure that I get the miles in.  Time will tell.  If I feel too good, I'll add on a mile or two and adjust my future MP runs.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

SheCan

Morning friendly penguins!

Docket, great job!  When's your next marathon?

Zelanie-- that may be a shortened version, but it still looks challenging.  I haven't ran with anyone for a while, that sounded nice.

Margo-- hey you.  I also missed one of the plank days.  Remembered while I was in bed, and just did not think it was worth getting up for.  Plus DH would have teased me unmercifully for being obsessed.  Good job getting those recovery miles in.  Sometimes when your tired they're not always that easy to get in.

Awood-- your workouts are always good.  I've been trying to do a few more twice a day runs occasionally. Do you do them on a day you've done a hard workout or an easy one, such as a recovery day run?

Scotty-- when will it ever start cooling off there?   It amazes me that there are so many summer races in San Antonio with as hot as it is there.  Also, yesterday you asked me about our winters.  Yes, they're probably cooler then yours also.  It snows and accumulates here several times over the winter-- but it never really lasts longer then a day.   For the most part, we have super mild winters, usually 50-60* highs with a rare super cold day thrown in.  Though it does get cold at night.   Runners around this area are always bragging about how lucky we are to live in such a good running climate.

Jack-- woooohoooo@ committing to the Tucson Marathon.  That must mean your foot is doing well.  You're such a powerhouse of a runner and trainer, you're gonna have a spectacular marathon premiere.  BTW, did you actually do the whole Plank video?  If you did, you are my hero!  I like to try out some of the other positions sometimes, but sure haven't ever done them all at once.  Oh, and btw, the 2 times I did the Tucson 1/2, it was cold for the race.  At least o me it was--- 40*ish.

Bin-- Great miles this month.  Why won't Sunday be the HM?  I've missed reading a few days, and didn't see why.

Yesterday, I did a 2nd run for 2 1/2 miles, and ended up feeling fine.  Today I did 10 today with hills.  My route went up a big hill for like 2-1/2 miles and then when I came to the top, I turned around and did some downhill work with a dab of speed coming back-- not like y'all, but a little bit.  I did two 90 second planks.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

4.5 miles last night and then a 1:00 minute plank. Tonight is the NOBO class, say maybe 3-4. I just got back from my GI doc appt to talk about last weeks colonoscopy. There is some info that I will share, but need to digest it a little first.

Awood and Jack, you guys are going to do great on the marathons. Me? Not so much.

Philliefan33

Blush  One day last week, I didn't remember my plank challenge until I was almost in bed.  I was already in my jammies, so of course wasn't wearing any shoes.  Since I've found that planks are easier while wearing shoes, I remedied the situation by slipping my feet into my loafers and starting planking away.  DH walked into the bedroom and  just started laughing.  I guess pj's and loafers is sort of ridiculous.

Margo-- hey you.  I also missed one of the plank days.  Remembered while I was in bed, and just did not think it was worth getting up for.  Plus DH would have teased me unmercifully for being obsessed.  Good job getting those recovery miles in.  Sometimes when your tired they're not always that easy to get in.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Cherie, it's Chicago.  In October.

Damaris

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

She Can- I started doing doubles because Daniels recommended it for easy runs if you're over 50 miles per week.  I've found that if I'm coming off of a really hard workout and my morning run the next day is a little tough, I'll run it short and easy.  By the evening, I'm right back at my normal pace.  If I need 8 miles on a Monday, and Tuesday is an 11-12 mile tempo I might run two 4 mile runs that Monday.  My quality workouts give me enough endurance and stamina work that I don't mind splitting easy runs.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Mitch- I hope you're right about my marathon, but I won't be surprised if you have a great marathon as well. You amaze me frequently.  I hope the news you got isn't too hard to digest.  You're due for a stretch of good luck in my opinion.

4.5 miles last night and then a 1:00 minute plank. Tonight is the NOBO class, say maybe 3-4. I just got back from my GI doc appt to talk about last weeks colonoscopy. There is some info that I will share, but need to digest it a little first.

Awood and Jack, you guys are going to do great on the marathons. Me? Not so much.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Cherie, nursing a cough for 2 weeks.. Getting a little better but doubt I can actually race it.. Most likely doing it as LR as I wanted the finisher tee.. Tongue

Mitch, keep the faith...You will have a great one when you are ready..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

tracilynn

Mitch, hope everything is okay.  Hugs.

I have gotten out of bed to do planks too. Ha.

Plank streak/challenge ends sept 12!! Less than 2 weeks.

I think side planks are tough and then side planks where they lift the top leg. Holy cow. Impossible. Ha.  Maybe one day.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

She Can: Thanks for the vote of confidence!   My foot is "ok," something is still in there, a knot or whatever, but I can run with it.  As for the plank video, I can hold each pose for about 10 seconds or so, but I have problems with the opposite arm and leg. I don't know if I will ever be able to manage those two. Let's hope for a great day in December!

Hog: Hugs to you.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Temps are awful now, Awood; but, unlike where Damaris lives, San Antonio will be cooling in the coming months. Our two coldest months of the year here are January and February, we do actually get down to freezing temp on occasion, but it does not last very long.  For the most part our winter days are lows in the 40s, highs in the 60s.   And it does not snow here at all, thank goodness.

Jack, happy training for the Tucson Marathon!  Maybe you can FE with Cherie.  Is she near Tucson?

Ahh, that makes sense, Damaris, long runs on days you work from home, so you don't have to rush into the shower, rush to get ready, etc.  Smart.

No big deal on the firetruck, Bin, lol.  I was coming off of one of the park trails this morning, where the trail meets one of the local roads, rounded the corner of a store that is right there at the intersection, and the truck just happened to be parked RIGHT around the corner that I turned, darn the luck.  SMACK!  Luckily, I don't run at LRB or Dave pace or I might have really hurt myself.  As it is, I just kinda knocked myself back a few feet and landed on my rump - also lucky, as I got lots of 'cushioning' there. Joking  Two firefighters were coming out of the store with some coffee - Dead - and saw what happened and came over to make sure I was okay.  I actually knew one of them, had run with him fir a bit of the course in a 5K a few months ago that was supporting a firefighter charity.  He helped me up but couldn't help laughing, and I had to laugh too.  He knows about some of my other 'adventures' in my past and jokingly told me "Scotty, there has got to be a way NASA can make your eye bionic or something so you can video this stuff as it happens."  lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hi 5~..  Big grin Maybe I am used to it already.. Would certainly hope to be able to race at somewhere cooler and see the diff...

Well, Bin, you can always come to Texas...  Joking ...in our cool months, of course.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am sincerely hoping and wishing you do not have a recurrence, Mitch!  You have been doing so great so far!  I wish you all the luck, buddy!

SheCan

Hahaha@ Phillie, whew, I'm glad it wasn't just me.  As I do them several times during the day, I've also been caught in my jammies doing them.  Danged that Traci making us so hard cored and obsessed!  (((((((( Traci )))))))))))

Bin--- ahhh, okay, I don't blame you for not wanting to push it Sunday after this cough has plagued you so much. Your long term health is number one.

Awood, thank you for clearning that up.  I wasn't sure how to go about it.

Scotty, I'm also signed up for the Tucson Marathon in December with Jack.  We'll probably meet up if my shy side doesn't whimp out.  Joking

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson