Beginners and Beyond

Raced a 5k RR - been a while! (Read 97 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Awesome job.  Congrats!

Yesterday, you sounded a bit disappointed but now I realize you ran smack and almost faster than what you were expecting.  Great!

Damaris

LRB

You've had an awesome first year yourself, and it's been cool watching you improve, and shrink.

I keep forgetting he was large and in charge at one time.  Now he is just in charge, ha!

SIAR, are these races part of your marathon plan or are you ad-libing?

Rondog65

Wow!! Great job.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Now, see, if you'd done the 5K I did this morning in Texas, you'd have won...the winner of that one finished in 18:10.

You are so dang speedy, I get exhausted just reading your finish times!  Congrats on your PR!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

Dang...yer fast.  Nice job on the race, SIAR, and right were you wanted to be.  Pretty funny that you are "pleased" with a 17:33 5K.  Smile

<3

Hip Redux

Excellent job, SIAR!!

workinprogress11

Wonderful race.  You are super speedy!  Congratulations on the PR and AG award.  Good luck kicking your 10k PR's butt!

sheepla

I'm fascinated by this statement "who,looked to be in about 24:00 shape". One thing I've learned at races is that I cannot predict who is fast or slow from looking at them at the start.  Sometimes I've thought "welll, at least I can beat that person" but no, turns out I can't. But maybe that is because I'm towards the back of the pack and it is easier to tell an 18 min 5ker from a 24 min 5ker. I'm sure you're right though that it never entered his mind that you could have been talking about him.

Wow, you're fast.  Great job and thanks for sharing. I love reading race reports.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Docket...Thanks...I definitely wasn't disappointed.  I must have forgotten to hit the enthusiasm button in my post.

LRB...These races are fairly ad-libbed.  It asks me to do some racing, but I just do them where they work for me as opposed to in the schedule.  I've also decided not to race a half during marathon training as most plans ask...just takes too much out of me.  I may look for a 10 mile later in this cycle though.

Ron...Thanks.

Scotty...Yeah, never had a win here.  It seems like most of the 5ks I want to run it takes a 15-something to win, and occasionally even a 14-something.

Baboon...Ha, "pleased" sounds very British doesn't it?  I am happy with the time, but when you basically run what you're expecting, it's not really like a nice surprise, you know what I mean?

Oski...Thanks

Workinprogress...Thank you...this does leave me looking forward to racing again.

Sheepla...Sorry if what I said sounded arrogant, I really wasn't trying to be.  And you're right, you can't always tell what someone is going to run.  But this guy was about 20 years older than me and 25lbs heaver, so chances of sub-18 were pretty slim.  Thanks for reading!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Love the Half

Very nice splits.  I'm with you in that I hate the marathon training grind.  Blech.  I also find that hills are a great place to make a move.  Except in longer races, when I get around someone on a hill, I never see them again.  I think there is a big psychological component to that as someone figures if you can get around him on a hill, then you are obviously stronger.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

sheepla

Sheepla...Sorry if what I said sounded arrogant, I really wasn't trying to be.  And you're right, you can't always tell what someone is going to run.  But this guy was about 20 years older than me and 25lbs heaver, so chances of sub-18 were pretty slim.  Thanks for reading!

Gosh, no I didn't think it sounded arrogant.  I was admiring your skills to predict people's times, as I am just never able to.

happylily

I am very impressed. That is a fabulous time, you are so talented! Congratutalions!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

Excellent pacing SIAR. I was also deathly afraid of 5ks until I finally raced one again earlier this year. They're not so bad, huh?

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Nice runnin'! I was looking forward to seeing what you could do with a 5k. All that training is paying off!