Beginners and Beyond

Race Report with Photos: Flag Day 5K and 10K (Read 56 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO: I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (Go Roadrunners!), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 33rd event of 2013.  Flag Day 5K/10K is held each year to honor all veterans everywhere, active, retired, etc, and their families that support them.  The 10K race is also part of Purnell Racing "Best of Texas Race Series" in which runners register for various races through the year and earn points used for awards and prizes after the end of the series.  About 150 or so runners, maybe a bit more, for this event, with most of the folks, including me, doing the 5K.   I ended up finishing at 32:05 per my chrono time, 32:10 per gun time, and got 2nd place in my Age Group.  Of course, there were only two IN my age group, lol.  I was also shocked...I noted my time at the 2-mile mark and then checked it when I crossed the finish line...and I did the final 1.1 mile in 9:41. Shocked  What?!! If anyone had told me I could do under a 10-minute mile - my training runs are usually done at about 10:45 - 11:15 per mile - I would have told them they were crazy, I am just a slow old fun-runner dog, no speed in me.  So go figure, don't know where that 9:41 came from.  Must be all those hills I run at least once a week.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before The Race

Event was held at Bluebonnet Palace.  Doesn't look like much on the outside, but it's a very nice entertainment venue, lots of live music, good beer, lots of Texas stuff inside, flags, photos, signed instruments from some of the entertainers who played there, etc.  Good beer and good food too.

Two Old Veterans...Air Force retired me with Marine Retired John Purnell, owner of Purnell Racing that puts on several good local races.

John and another participant

Race Day registration volunteers

Boy Scouts from Kirby who were race volunteers

A few more of the race volunteers/organizers

Various participants and supporters before the start

And the back of this lady's shirt....love it...lol

Yes, that is a LIVE dog the lady is holding...lucky dog! Joking

Right before the start, the Boy Scouts presented the colors, and then the National Anthem was sung.  Then his helicopter showed up.  I thought maybe John had arranged a fly-by from nearby Randolph Air Force Base, but this turned out to be a construction helicopter ferrying heavy girders and blocks for the building construction going on at a warehouse across the street from Bluebonnet Palace. Even so, pretty cool...although helicopter noise does give me the 'heebie-jeebies' a little bit, makes me have a bit of 'flashback", as a helicopter crash is how I ended up with a long screw in my left knee, keeping my kneecap together. That screw is still in there and will be for life.

ON THE COURSE

7:30 a.m. start, which was nice.  We also got lucky with a bit of cooler weather this weekend, only 68 degrees at the start.  The humidity was 87% but the dewpoint was only at 60 or so, so we got lucky there too, it did not feel like 87% humidity.  The course was on roads from Bluebonnet Palace that took us winding around some warehouses in the distance. Not a very scenic course, but a nice one just the same, with wide roads and lots of room for everyone to spread out.  A couple of small hills along the way  in the warehouse area, .and then coming back it was on the same road we went out on, so a nice flat finish.  The 10K folks had to do 2 loops of the course.

Got a photo of my friend, Sherry, here pushing her little one along in the stroller, and after that it was nonstop running for me all the way to the finish.

AFTER THE RACE

The chef cooking up hot dogs for post-race participants...they were pretty good, even at 8:15 a.m., with our early race start.

And the beer was good too! Big grin

"Happy Finishers" and Supporters

This guy is wearing the race shirt we all got.

Argggh!  The one photo I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens before taking.  Sorry about that!

Two Veterans - Army Retired Bill and Air Force Retired Scottydog

Closeup of the race shirt

And the Age Group medals.   Any medals I get, I usually give to the kids at the cancer ward of a local children's hospital but I think this one is a keeper.  Nice unique design.

EPILOG

Very enjoyable event.  Lots of friendly folks, good course, nicely designed shirt and award medal, and nice post-race goodies - including several door prizes, none of which I won, darn the luck.  Definitely would recommend this event to my fellow runners.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Sloooow.

Congratulations! Looks like it was a really nice event. I love the words on the race t-shirt too, definitely a medal to keep.

Very nice speedy last 1.1 too!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I have to know.  Which one of the women in those pictures were you chasing that last 1.1 mile?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Greats photos as always. At our ages I find the number of awards often exceeds the number of runners in our AGs. I'd like to see a lot more of us out there. Seems a few days early for a Flag Day event, but I guess before the date is better than after so people are reminded.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the runner up award.   I need to find smaller  races.    Love it that Texans are always smiling.  Must be the AAA rating.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great pics and RR!

Damaris

GinnyinPA

That is a nice medal.  I like the fact that the donations were going to Oklahoma tornado relief.  Good cause.  You did really well on that last mile.  The advantage of out and back races:  you don't feel as obligated to photograph the scenery, so you get a chance to just boogie.

SheCan

Congratulations on race 33 of the year and on the 2nd place AG win!  The finishing metal looks super sharp.  I'm always surprised at how many TX races are honoring vets.   Don't get me wrong though, it is nice.

Love, love love the teeshirt-- "Dear God, let there be someone behind me to read this"    I totally need one of those!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Great job, Scotty.

The pic of the couple in the flag shirts is super cool, that could be right out of a magazine.

Jess runs for bacon

Nice bling Scotty! Also, that puppy is adorable!

happylily

Lovely smiles, great  legs and an awesome photographer! Thanks, Scotty!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I look forward to the fogged photo in your reports.  It lets me know it was really you!  Ha-ha, good stuff!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome job scotty, and you always look so happy in every photo Smile. Keep the medal.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Hip Redux

I don't think if I tried I could find as many races as you do!  It must be running mecca down there!

Great job, as usual, Scotty!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Awesome job scotty, and you always look so happy in every photo Smile. Keep the medal.

Ladies coming up asking if they can have a photo with me.......heck yeah, I'm happy!  Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt