Beginners and Beyond

There's a first time for everything THURSDAILIES (Read 43 times)

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Good morning everyone!

Will do 3.1 with the beer runners tonight. It's warming up here, so a cold one will be perfect after a run. I did 5 yesterday.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Wow, good morning everyone! Lots up people up early this Thursday.

An Easy 3 for me this morning. It was nice, what can I say? I'm volunteering at the Marathon Expo today at 5k packet pickup. It should be a good time. Smile I'm starting to think about my race on Saturday and my pacing. I just have to keep thinking about my training.

- Andrew

Zelanie

I just have to say: Go Blazers!  It's been a long time since the basketball gods have smiled on us.  We've drafted Sam Bowie and Greg Oden, yikes!

This morning I will run 2ish with the kids' track club.  Hopefully it stops raining so that we can run outside.  The kids don't bring a change of clothes, so we can't just take them out in the rain like we'd do ourselves.  Then after work, it's the social run.

LRB

I got 7 easy done, it was really a nice run.  I feel good about where I am runningwise, everything is clicking.

For now I gotta do some work, stupid job.  Be back later!

B-Plus

I was scoping on some places to run for this weekend's trip to Vegas, and I came across a 5k on the strip. Am I really ready for that level of hurt right now? Who am I kidding, am I really going to run while in Vegas?

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Good running all!

Had anxious dreams last night for some reason, slept like hell. So I called the AM run off...

Tonights Coach workout should be fun, though light.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I was scoping on some places to run for this weekend's trip to Vegas, and I came across a 5k on the strip. Am I really ready for that level of hurt right now? Who am I kidding, am I really going to run while in Vegas?

Yes and yes.  Was there even a question?

Damaris

Ric-G

i plan on 5 miles later....we will see how that plan goes....i normally wouldn't care about the nfl draft tonite, but i am curious what will happen with johnny football...then tomorrow i won't care...will have some coffee now - have a great day everyone!

marathon pr - 3:16

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Well, top of the afternoon to y'all, Dailies!

Got back from the Ortho - a very nice doctor. They took x-rays and he and I looked at them together and discussed them. He mentioned the "A" work (arthritis) and mentioned that it was very mild. Said I had pretty good knees overall, but in order to get a more definitive diagnosis, an MRI would be necessary. He thinks there's some meniscus issues, but really can't tell by the x-rays.

Long story short - I can run, but if it hurts, I can't. My judgment call. I will be getting an MRI next week after which we can determine the next course of action.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

StepbyStep-SH

12 miles for me on a crushed rock trail through a park area (3 times out and back on the 2-mile trail), with a few fun bird sightings. My left side from lower back to my calf is tight and unhappy. I will torture it again later with the foam roller.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well, top of the afternoon to y'all, Dailies!

Got back from the Ortho - a very nice doctor. They took x-rays and he and I looked at them together and discussed them. He mentioned the "A" work (arthritis) and mentioned that it was very mild. Said I had pretty good knees overall, but in order to get a more definitive diagnosis, an MRI would be necessary. He thinks there's some meniscus issues, but really can't tell by the x-rays.

Long story short - I can run, but if it hurts, I can't. My judgment call. I will be getting an MRI next week after which we can determine the next course of action.

Good luck!

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry about your wheezy weather, Damaris.   IS there ever a good time of the day for you to be out there cuz your weather pretty much sounds like it is like that most of the time 24/7.   I don't see how you do it, especially with your asthma and allergies.  Good luck!

Enjoy your team workout later Meaghan!

Beer runners, nice!  Enjoy, Hobbit.

Enjoy the packet pickup, Andrew, and good luck with your race this weekend.

The kids don't bring a change of clothes, so we can't just take them out in the rain like we'd do ourselves.   Yeah, Zelanie, but they're still little kids, right, no inhibitions yet, so you can just let them go run in their birthday suits in the rain, right?  Bet they would love that.  And then they'd have their dry clothes to get back into.   You know, it may be a very good thing I'm not a teacher, I'd probably set a record for the most parent-teacher-principal conferences......

Congrats on your run, LRB.  Yeah, stupid job, always interfering with what you really want to do.

Vegas is not so bad, B-Plus.  I have a friend who lives in that area and she does ultras!  Well, used to, for now she is on a bit of a hiatus as she is preggers. From what she tells me it can be "warm'' but you acclimatize pretty quickly. Go for it.

Sorry about the bad dreams, slymoon. Drink more beer to make those go away.

Good luck with your miles later, Ric.  Johnny Football, that guy is such an ass - quite a talented player, most certainly - but still an ass...can you tell I am not a fan?  I am hoping, hoping, HOPING my Houston Texans will pass him over.  Give him to the Damn Dallas Cowboys, they deserve him and his antics.   Personally, I hope he ends up in the Canadian Football League.  Sorry, Lily.

Welcome to the "A-world" Tom. The good news is yours is pretty mild, thankfully. Hopefully, the MRI will not show any meniscus issues.  As for the arthritis, lots of stuff you can do for that, and you can still have a good quality running life. I can't run like I did before but I still enjoy what I can do and at least I'm still able to get out there and do something, which is a blessing.  You'll get through this.  Good luck!

Three times out and back, Step, that didn't bore you out of your mind?  You have way more patience than I do.  There is a local race here, Carrabba's Half Marathon and Relay.  The relay teams consist of 4 folks and each person does his/her leg once, so a very small route for the relay folks.  The poor folks doing the Half have do to THREE consecutive loops of the same loop, which I would find annoying as hell.   Sorry about the unhappy left side, hope the foam roller helps!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

B-Plus

Yes and yes.  Was there even a question?

Let me think about it some more. Maybe I'll just pay the $35 and do it as a fun run.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Welcome to the "A-world" Tom. The good news is yours is pretty mild, thankfully. Hopefully, the MRI will not show any meniscus issues.  As for the arthritis, lots of stuff you can do for that, and you can still have a good quality running life. I can't run like I did before but I still enjoy what I can do and at least I'm still able to get out there and do something, which is a blessing.  You'll get through this.  Good luck!

Doggone "A" kind of snuck up on me, but I really think that there's more to this. I think there is some meniscus damage, as I had thought originally. My PCP thought maybe a tendon issue (MCL damage), but the Ortho doesn't see that. The MRI should be able to discern what's right and what isn't.

This doc really seems to be on top of things. I really appreciate that he took the time to go over the x-ray with me and explain some things. He also acknowledged the benefits of running (weight loss, lower cholesterol, lower BP, etc.) so I don't think he'll be telling me to stop running unless it would be absolutely necessary. And given that I'm doing 10-12 miles a week with minimal problems, I don't see that happening.

Oh well - getting old, I guess...

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

LRB

Finally heading home.  I swear this week has been a butt kicker!