Beginners and Beyond

Torturous Tuesdailies (Read 46 times)

DavePNW

I'm currently wearing Birkenstocks.   FWIW, they are silver.  But I went off the "screw fashion" deep end.

You live on the wrong end of the coast.

Dave

You live on the wrong end of the coast.

What you don't realize is I grew up in Seattle. Then went to college in northern California. I used to wear them with socks. Rag wool socks from Eddie Bauer. My mom was horrified. She refers to that as my Frog Phase. Everything was some shade of brown or green.

oldfartrunner

When: Sunday after the LR, but I've noticed it a little bit here and there, generally anything over 12 starts to niggle.  I don't notice it when I'm running, it's after.  It's both ankles, pretty even.

I think you're right, I need to throw in a different brand/model.  Nike does not fit me at all, I've tried over the years, but they don't work for me, the toe box is a no-go.  Mizuno are also really tight in the toes for me.  But, Saucony and Brooks have been good in the past.  I've tried on various Brooks models and they usually make it to the final round of 2 choices and lost by a very slim margin.

So given that background (and I agree, 10-12mm is where it's at), I'm looking at Brooks Ghost.  My 1000s are technically stability shoes, but moderately so.  I'm pretty neutral with super high arches, so I can mess around a little.

Actually going to the Ghosts with 12mm drop sounds like a good thing as you are ramping up and going longer, and they are lighter it looks like. The DS trainer maybe for your speed/tempos, but come marathon day-if the ghosts get you through MT, I'd probably  wear them for your first one. Then think on using the DS Trainer for the next marathon you race maybe. 1000s for every day recovery, or alt. with the Ghosts.

You also jumped up 10 miles and added quite a bit more LR miles from the two previous-if I'm looking at your log right?  So could be a little extra training stress catching up to you too. If you know you get niggles over 12, you might have to be slower on your LR and pace build-allowing your body to adjust. Around 50ish starts to stress you quite more so, than like going to 40 or mid 40s. But the change of shoes may help, so I wouldn't worry yet.  But that is always an option and capping the LR @ 18, instead of 20.

oldfartrunner

I ran 6 with 10x20 sec uphill sprints. That wind chill of 9 and 33 mph wind was fun. But I’m probably going to sign up for a HM in Jan so I should get used to it 

Way to hang Shortii!

Italiana626

The Latecomer

I have enough Apothic Red from people buying it for me over the years that I could open my own Rite Aid. lol But even with that, I give it away if someone comes over and wants some, so win again. 

Reading the shoe discussions with great interest, as I'm at the end of my supply of Mizuno Wave Sayonara 2's. The 3 and 4 are completely different from the 2.

And, of course, the wine discussion - that's another passion. The Apothic Red / Rite Aid correlation was the best!!

DavePNW

I'm looking at Brooks Ghost.  

Love. These. I was always under the impression I needed support shoes, and I have pretty much stuck with Brooks. I rotated Adrenalines and Ravennas for a long time. Then after one of the Ravenna model changes, the toebox got tighter & I couldn't wear them anymore. I was a little nervous about going neutral, but there's been no problem and in fact they became my A-1s. I could wear them every day, but I feel I should be rotating so still work in the Adrenalines.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

The Ghost is one of my favorite shoes ever!  I’ve been in them since the 4, and I can’t think of one I’ve truly disliked.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

What you don't realize is I grew up in Seattle. Then went to college in northern California. I used to wear them with socks. Rag wool socks from Eddie Bauer. My mom was horrified. She refers to that as my Frog Phase. Everything was some shade of brown or green.

Ha! No I did not know that. Birks & ragg wool socks make total sense then. You still have family up here?

Dave

DavePNW

The Ghost is one of my favorite shoes ever!  I’ve been in them since the 4, and I can’t think of one I’ve truly disliked.

That is saying something, because you've worn a LOT of shoes. I just started with the 9; on my 3rd pair and have 3 more pair in the box. Because they will soon be hard to find, and I freaking hate model changes.

Dave

GinnyinPA

LawyerMom - you might want to try the Glycerins as well. We recently had a Brooks rep at a group run who let us try them on a 4 mile run. I ordered a pair immediately after. They are 10 mm and felt pretty cushy with a decently wide toebox.  I liked the Asics 1000 as well, after the 2170 was dropped. The 2000's didn't work for me either. Nimbus and Cumulus used to work, until they got too narrow in the toe.

LRB - Green Superfeet are pretty rigid. I can't even wear them hiking, much less running.

4 on the TM

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

And I posted on yesterday's thread, damn it!

5 with hubby after Pilates.  Taking Hershey to the vet tomorrow as he is either sick or has jealous of the new cat syndrome.

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

That is saying something, because you've worn a LOT of shoes. I just started with the 9; on my 3rd pair and have 3 more pair in the box. Because they will soon be hard to find, and I freaking hate model changes.

Yeah... I rotate so many at a time that I still have a couple pairs the 5 active.  One of which supposedly has enough miles to retire, but it feels fine, so.  It’s hard for me to justify buying more shoes because the amount I have is ridiculous.  (Apparently I just switched to buying unnecessary dive gear instead. )

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

Yeah... I rotate so many at a time that I still have a couple pairs the 5 active.  One of which supposedly has enough miles to retire, but it feels fine, so.  It’s hard for me to justify buying more shoes because the amount I have is ridiculous.  (Apparently I just switched to buying unnecessary dive gear instead. )

Do you still even try?

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Actually going to the Ghosts with 12mm drop sounds like a good thing as you are ramping up and going longer, and they are lighter it looks like. The DS trainer maybe for your speed/tempos, but come marathon day-if the ghosts get you through MT, I'd probably  wear them for your first one. Then think on using the DS Trainer for the next marathon you race maybe. 1000s for every day recovery, or alt. with the Ghosts.

I wore the Ghost for my first marathon — got a lovely blood blister to show for it, which hadn’t happened before and hasn’t happened since.  It probably helped that I switched to the Launch for my subsequent marathons, and that shoe felt a little odd in my usual size, so I went up half a size.  Much as I love the Ghost for training, I wouldn’t wear it for a marathon again.

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

Do you still even try?

Yes, because I keep waking up to the shock of not being a billionaire!

chasing the impossible