Beginners and Beyond

McMillan calculator (Read 118 times)

Nevrgivup

Has anyone used this lately? I use it for my training paces and have them from my last 5K, but when I punched in some numbers the training paces were way off. It gave me paces that were faster than my 5K pace. Do you think there is a glitch or something?

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Several months ago McMillan updated the numbers and most, if not all the paces were set faster. Ignore them and run by perceived effort. General guidelines that many use are a pace you can hold for 12-15 minutes (some might go as slow as a 20 minutes) for your intervals and a pace you could hold for about an hour for your tempo runs. Easy runs are still that, easy.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Nevrgivup

Thanks. It was spitting out paces that were faster than my 5k for my recovery runs. Just didn't seem right.

Several months ago McMillan updated the numbers and most, if not all the paces were set faster. Ignore them and run by perceived effort. General guidelines that many use are a pace you can hold for 12-15 minutes (some might go as slow as a 20 minutes) for your intervals and a pace you could hold for about an hour for your tempo runs. Easy runs are still that, easy.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Weird...I last used it a few weeks ago when I set a new 5K PR and it was fine. Before that PR it was giving me paces for training that were slower than what I usually was hitting, but with the new PR they are pretty accurate, though I am now generally at the slower end of my suggested training paces based on that new PR when I run based on effort and check the paces after. But no crazy discrepencies.....

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Nevrgivup

Maybe I'm punching in numbers wrong.

Weird...I last used it a few weeks ago when I set a new 5K PR and it was fine. Before that PR it was giving me paces for training that were slower than what I usually was hitting, but with the new PR they are pretty accurate, though I am now generally at the slower end of my suggested training paces based on that new PR when I run based on effort and check the paces after. But no crazy discrepencies.....

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I just plugged in my 5K time again and got what I'm pretty sure it gave me last time.  Which is that the fastest pace of the range is really not "easy", "recovery" ect for me, but the slowest number is pretty on point with where I'm at.

Since we're talking about it.... has anyone had McMillan successfully predict a race time based on a different race distance? I know it assumes similar course conditions and training.... just wondering because based on my 5K time it has me meeting my 10K goal with over 30 seconds to spare.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

Since we're talking about it.... has anyone had McMillan successfully predict a race time based on a different race distance? I know it assumes similar course conditions and training.... just wondering because based on my 5K time it has me meeting my 10K goal with over 30 seconds to spare.

My 5K pace is off from the rest of the distances per the calculator - so if I use that, the rest of my other races should have been faster.  But my 10K time predicted my half time almost exactly.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I just plugged in my 5K time again and got what I'm pretty sure it gave me last time.  Which is that the fastest pace of the range is really not "easy", "recovery" ect for me, but the slowest number is pretty on point with where I'm at.

Yes. Last year my 7:57 mile time predicted a 27:36 5K and I ran 27:35. Several years prior to that my 10K time of 49:08 predicted a 1:22:04 for 10M. My 1:23:07 was pretty close considering the 10M was in a lot colder weather and had some long hills in it. Going back through the years, given different courses and conditions, McMillan has been fairly close from 5K through the HM. Deviations are easily accounted for by that or by how hard I raced. With the marathon only once did I really test McMillan on that as I've found the marathon a lot harder to run well and to my level of fitness than I have shorter races - and my best marathons have come in adverse conditions so the time didn't reflect what I was capable of under more ideal conditions.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

At the moment, my 10k, 15k, 10 miles and HM are all aligned according to McMillan. My marathon finish time is off by 5 minutes, but I think that on a flatter course, it'd be off by only a minute or two. My 5k time should be in the 20:00 something range, but I haven't raced one recently (or ever, actually) and I think I'm tired at the moment, from all the marathon training I've done this year, to even attempt racing a good one.

McMillan is like the bible to me. I constantly refer to his pace ranges after each race or time trial I do and I adjust accordingly if needed. On days I feel tired I stay in the slower range and on very good days, I use the faster paces. Also, I find that over the course of 18 weeks, my interval pace will move from the slower to the faster range as race day approaches.

Never had any problem with McMillan...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

My paces all seem to be pretty good when I punch in my last race time.  I'm not sure why OP is getting such whacky numbers.

As for using different distance to predict pace, I've had pretty good luck.  Both times that I've used a 5K to predict a HM, I've actually finished slightly ahead of the predicted pace.  I figure that since I'm still in my first year of running, my fitness actually improved between the 5K and the HM.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Nevrgivup

LOL.LOL.LOL. Soooo I figured out what I did. I was putting my time in hours and not minutes. I knew it was something finicky that I did with the numbers. Got what I was looking for. I like to use the training paces for my recovery, tempo, and easy paced runs. I knew there was something that wasn't right. Thanks for the replies. Big grin

Luke79

LOL.LOL.LOL. Soooo I figured out what I did. I was putting my time in hours and not minutes. I knew it was something finicky that I did with the numbers. Got what I was looking for. I like to use the training paces for my recovery, tempo, and easy paced runs. I knew there was something that wasn't right. Thanks for the replies. Big grin

I was going to ask if you were doing that lol.  I need to quit being so lazy about posting.