Beginners and Beyond

May Goals (Read 58 times)

LRB

Good stuff so far!

I have a 10k and a mile race this month.

For the 10k I would just like to put a solid race together for once as my last two (August '13, March '14) were complete stink bombs.  A pace of 6:20 to 6:26 is my goal provided it is not a million degrees outside.

The mile race I am treating as a goal event so that I am at my best.  I have an idea of what I want to run versus what I should run and they are not that far apart.  I will be swinging for the fences though for sure...

I missed that stupid turn just before mile 4 during the 10k and ended up with an overall pace of 6:31 for 6.3 miles.

I actually tapered for the mile race but did not do as well as I hoped, 5:29 (officially 5:39 on a course that measured long).

I added a 5k as well and although my time was not what I would have liked I did place well. 19:33 on a course that measured 3.17 miles.

There is a theme there somewhere. 

Anyway, I don't want to judge too harshly but would grade the month a solid C+.  In each event I could have done better but I have been running and training really well so there is that.

obiebyke

Success! I've moved on to One Hour Runner and my half training is going great.

Finish C25K.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

catwhoorg

Labrat

Get my first 100+ mile month of the year, and start back with speedwork.

155.5 miles highest since Jul 2012. I'd say thats met

3 tempo paced runs, tick that box.

Bonus 343 miles on the bike (plus maybe a few more today), highest ever biking total.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

A 3:45 on May 10th.

3:44:17 Wink

- Andrew

Mmmmm...beer

I have two main goals for May (and the rest of the summer, base building until I start marathon training in July):

- 55-60mpw

- Drop weight

Lesser goals:

- Sub-19 5k (again)

- Sub-40 10k

I'm not going to list staying healthy as a goal anymore, we'll just take that as a given. Smile

I had one week that was under 55, but overall a really great month mileage wise.  250.4 miles for the month, only took two days off, and I feel great!

I'm back in the 180s, 188 at the moment.  I've gotten back on track with tracking my calories again, so I can make sure to keep knocking weight off before Richmond.

Didn't back up my sub-19, but did get an AG win.

Also didn't get my sub-40, but it was close, I think I have the fitness, just need to push harder.  Next 10k will be in October, between the weight loss and continued training, should be a pretty solid sub-40.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

delicate flower

Run my May 25 marathon without disappointing myself too badly.

Good not great, but I'll take it.

<3

delicate flower

Success! I've moved on to One Hour Runner and my half training is going great.

Most excellent,  Smile

<3

onemile

LRB

3:44:17 Wink

Off the scoreboard, in between the bleachers, around the cheerleaders, nothing but net!

meaghansketch

Nice job obiebyke, catwhoorg, Brr, Dave, Phil!

Sorry about not meeting your goals LRB-- You weren't far off from any of them, but I understand the C+.  Hope June is better for you.

LRB

You weren't far off from any of them, but I understand the C+.  Hope June is better for you.

You know what gets lost sometimes is that race day is just as unpredictable for professionals as it is for us hobby joggers, and they have five times the resources and ten times the pressure!

So we have to walk the line between not being too hard on ourselves, while not giving ourselves a pass either.  If that even makes sense...I don't know, but it sounded good. 

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

50 miles.

Complete the Chattanooga chase without walking! (big hill)

Remain relatively injury-free

Get a good diagnosis and plan for that pesky right knee that still isn't quite 100%.

54 miles done

Completed the Chase, no walking

No new injuries

Got the results of the MRI - torn meniscus. Fortunately, it's not completely debilitating, but it is definitely holding me back. Not only in running but in other activities that I perform.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

1) Still after that <1:19 HM.

Done

2) Start my next marathon training cycle on 5/26.

Done

happylily

No real goals. I had a race planned, with a goal finish time, but I've decided to go back to the drawing board. I did something wrong somewhere and I'm not satisfied with my progress at this point. I seem to have regressed when I compare my present speed to what it was 10-12 weeks ago.  I think I know what happened, but it's too late to correct it at this point. I'll need more weeks of training to get back on track. I was bummed about it last week, but now it doesn't matter much to me. It's a choice that's mine to make. So goal for May is trying to choose a training strategy that will be more efficient for me to help me achieve my finish time goal.

Results: without the two potty breaks, I would have finished in 3:37, which is a big 12 minutes removed from what was initially my goal finish time when I started training for my spring marathon. Everything was going great up until the 12th week... And then the change happened so visibly, I would have been a fool to continue to believe that I could still run a 3:25 that day. The heat played a role in my poor performance, yes. But not one big enough to justify a loss of 12 minutes. I'd be lying to myself and to you if I claimed that. I don't want to use excuses. I think I lost 5-7 minutes at most due to the heat. The rest was pure inability to maintain goal pace, simply because I was de-conditioned from the last bad training weeks I went through. I'll do better in the fall.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010