Beginners and Beyond

Legs feel Beat up in Certain spots (Read 349 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, I will take ya'lls word for it.  But I will do the squats and bridge thingy every now and then just because I enjoy it. I don't know if I could get used to feeling beat up, it is just awful when you have a baby lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Love the Half

I'm all for modesty, when used sparingly lol.  As for the hill, It just needs to be taller than you are Smile  Seriously though, a moderate hill is good...doesn't need to be a mountain, just something that you encounter on your regular runs and say, "hey, this is a hill."  I don't know if hills are better than stairs, but since we're runners and not stair racers, I feel like it's better to do something that's more like running.

There are three types of basic hill workouts.

1.  Hill sprints.  Find a steep hill.  Like 10% steep if you can find it.  A bridge will do.  Sprint up hard for 6-8 seconds.  As in all out hard.  Walk back down.  Do it again.  Start small with 2-3 reps.  I started big two years ago, hurt my left hamstring, and it has never healed.  Work your way up to 10 reps.

2.  Hill repeats.  Find a hill with a moderate slope of 3-5%.  Mark out something like 300-400 yards.  Run up at 5K effort, not pace, and then jog back down for recovery.  However, there is as much downhill racing as uphill racing so train on the downhills as well.  If you are doing a total of 10 hard efforts, do 7 hard uphill and 3 hard downhill or 6 and 4.

3.  Long hills.  These are just runs on long hills.  Good stuff.  A variation of this is to find a route with rolling terrain and do a fartlek workout where you run uphill moderately hard (not 5K effort hard, more like HM effort hard) and recovery on the downhills for a while and then run some downhills hard while recovering on the uphill.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MrNamtor

There are three types of basic hill workouts.

Do those hill workout include crushing tortoises you bastard?

www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/2b885da15ef748b2adff34e446faf5ea/

happylily

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Good news is my legs aren't really feeling sore anymore and I am going to run my tempo 6 tonight. I am trying not to worry about making 25 miles this week, the only way I can is to run my easy 5 tomorrow and then my 9 mile long run Saturday which I don't think is a good idea. I am not sure if I should just say screw it on the 5 miles tomorrow, run my 9 miles Saturday and MAYBE 3 mile easy run Sunday.................. oh the decisions

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

RSX

Lol, I will take ya'lls word for it.  But I will do the squats and bridge thingy every now and then just because I enjoy it. I don't know if I could get used to feeling beat up, it is just awful when you have a baby lol.

I felt more beat up during runs when I did squats, but I didn't try them for more than a few months, and hated them in high school. Glad your running is getting better.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I felt more beat up during runs when I did squats, but I didn't try them for more than a few months, and hated them in high school. Glad your running is getting better.

Tonight's run wasn't bad, I misjudged the temperature and was freezing most of the time but I managed to knock off 16 seconds from last week's run. Tonight I ran 6 miles in 59:04, it's kind of frustrating knowing that I was 4 or 5 seconds away from breaking 59 minutes but I am just glad I wasn't slower than last week's tempo. Squats aren't so bad for me, it is the lunges for some reason.

PRs