Beginners and Beyond

Pike's Peak Marathon : RR w/ a few pics (Read 106 times)

Great pics..congrats.

LRB

Damn man, you basically spent a work shift running, they should consider that an ultra!

Nice finish!  I am interested to know what you think you could run it in next year having run the ascent twice, and how are them toes feeling a week removed lol

Will run for scenery.

Damn man, you basically spent a work shift running, they should consider that an ultra!

Nice finish!  I am interested to know what you think you could run it in next year having run the ascent twice, and how are them toes feeling a week removed lol

In terms of improvement, I think the biggest factor is strategy.  If I lined up in the middle of the pack (instead of the back) and went out a little harder I could easily have been about 100 spots ahead by the start of the trail.  So if I were able to just "ride the train" with those folks I'd make the summit half an hour sooner.  I definitely felt I was traffic-limited on the top half of the climb, wishing I could get around people.

On the downhill I won't count on too much improvement.  A few minutes lost to falls/recovery and a little ass-dragging in the early second half.  But the terrain is pretty tough and when I was moving, I was moving pretty fast.

So short answer : B goal is 30 minutes faster, A goal is 45. But with another year of training, who knows ?

Oh and the toes are starting to feel/look normal.  Still feel kind of bruisey and I can't wear my minimalist shoes yet, but I've quit worrying about gangrene and amputations.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Motormouse

Proud Aussie

Nice Job! I love watching the cars race to the top of Pike's Peak, so I 'get' how much elevation is involved. That's a great effort!!

Goal: BQ or Bust.  (Done: BQ -5mins July 2014)

Selecting new goal.........

hog4life

Thanks for sharing, and congrats! Now I want to do this.

Zelanie

Congratulations to you!  Sounds like a fantastic race, and your training and preparation really paid off!

Snowdenrun

Awesome! You killed it on the mountain!

Trail Monster

Congrats! That is one tough marathon!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop