Beginners and Beyond

Mother Nature Hates Me - and I feel the Same! (A Rant) (Read 66 times)

happylily

I ran an extremely hot 5 mile race in July. I was bummed that my time from last year's race was faster until I realized that I beat a higher % of runners this time out. Sometimes you need to look at the crowd you beat for progress Instead of time.

Exactly.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I really want to beat myself though, or my last HM time.

I agree with LRB, if the temp is under 60 I will kick ass no matter what humidity or DP is. Now it is up to 70 degrees by 7 a.m Saturday with 67 dew point and 90% humidity, wind speed 6 mph. I'd be great if the temp would drop below 65.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I really want to beat myself though, or my last HM time.

I agree with LRB, if the temp is under 60 I will kick ass no matter what humidity or DP is. Now it is up to 70 degrees by 7 a.m Saturday with 67 dew point and 90% humidity, wind speed 6 mph. I'd be great if the temp would drop below 65.

You cannot expect to beat anything if the weather is bad.  So, stop freaking out.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

But I want to freak out damn it! Heck I can't remember what DP and humidity was at St. Louis but I know the temp was about 10 degrees cooler starting out than it is now. Except more hills, so I am hoping that since this race doesn't have the same amount of hills it shouldn't suck too much. But it just pisses me off damn it.

You cannot expect to beat anything if the weather is bad.  So, stop freaking out.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

happylily

But I want to freak out damn it! Heck I can't remember what DP and humidity was at St. Louis but I know the temp was about 10 degrees cooler starting out than it is now. Except more hills, so I am hoping that since this race doesn't have the same amount of hills it shouldn't suck too much. But it just pisses me off damn it.

But if we allow you to freak out, then someone else will start a thread because he's freaking out that his shoes have not arrived on time for his up-coming race. Then, someone else will freak out that it's her wedding day this weekend and she cannot get her long run in. A third person will freak out about not having found the exact brand of gel they need for their race. It will be complete and utter chaos and despair in here and we just cannot allow it. So get a grip, woman. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

But what fun would it be without a little bit of chaos? Big grin

Eh, I'm done freaking out I guess... sunny and warm (or cloudy and warm) is better than raining cats and dogs, I begged mother nature no rain and the running gods smiled down on me about that part...... so I should at least be happy with that much. I've been running in this weather all summer, if not worse so I'll survive - I won't be happy about it, but I'll deal with it and do my best come race day.

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

66 dewpoint is not too bad, FreeSoul.  Not great, but when it gets over 70, that's when it really starts getting sticky sticky feeling!  I bet you will be just fine out there.  And who knows, Mother Nature might just jerk it all around again.  She sure can be odd at times!

Whatever the weather turns out to be, no doubt in my military mind that you will adjust to anything thrown at you and do just fine.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

shhh I am still praying that mother nature changes course and a little cold front comes in early....

Isn't there some sort of tropical storm going on along a coast around the US?

66 dewpoint is not too bad, FreeSoul.  Not great, but when it gets over 70, that's when it really starts getting sticky sticky feeling!  I bet you will be just fine out there.  And who knows, Mother Nature might just jerk it all around again.  She sure can be odd at times!

Whatever the weather turns out to be, no doubt in my military mind that you will adjust to anything thrown at you and do just fine.

PRs