Beginners and Beyond

NC24 - 12 Hours of Running (Read 111 times)

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Great report, George!  Congratulations!

Relentless forward progress

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Wow George!  Your race report definitely conveyed the experience and the camaraderie among the runners and also the helpers.  Best wishes on whichever adventure you select next.  By the way, you have earned a well-deserved rest if you so choose.

I'm glad I was able to convey that, though I think I still fell well short of the reality. I'm still in 7th heaven and trying to figure out how I can adequately thank everyone who helped.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRS

Chasing Muses

George, you looked so strong throughout the day. We were matched lap for lap for a long time. When hour 10-11 came along, I thought about how close you were to 50 every chance I had to ask someone. You killed it in this race. It was a blast to hear you say my name in the med tent when I was getting stretched, and to see you sitting up and looking healthy. And as many times as I've gotten to see you, I'm glad to have had the chance to see you compete! Cant wait to see you again next month!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Fantastic job!! Loved this report!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

GREAT photo! Look at all those ULTRA RUNNER forumites together!

Thanks, Goo. I always appreciate your input and comments. I will try to post some photos. Jen took so many as did another photographer that I may have problems deciding which I would like to post. One I absolutely have to post is me with my two guardian angels.

My two guardian angels flanking me.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Will run for scenery.

Absolutely unbelievable. 888 races and you still eat Mexican food the day before.  Have you learned nothing ? Big grin

I know you've been focussed on this event for a long time and it's great to see all your training pay off.  And great that you have so many great folks to share it with.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

hog4life

Congratulations George! What an astounding feat you have accomplished. I don't know what to say that I haven't already said in some of the other RR's, or on FB. If, no, when I do my first ultra, I would like you and the angels to be there. These reports are just amazing!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

First of all, congratulations, Ultra George!  Smile  I loved following your journey to this perfect ending. I was texting with Bob on Saturday and I kept asking him, "How is George doing?!"  Then at home later, I sat in front of my computer screen watching the results update and counting your laps, trying to will you to get to 56 before the clock ran out.

I think part of the thrill of running ultras at first is the unknown.  "Can I run that far?  I don't know.  I don't know, but dammit I am going to find out."  And then you find out that you can, and it's an amazing feeling.  Bask in your accomplishments for as long as you want -- you've earned it!

I think a non-technical trail 50K would be an interesting next step for you.  It'll have a different vibe than NC24, but the same kind of comradery and support.  If you wait for my groin to be fixed, I would happily pace you somewhere, someday.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Also, I LOVE the picture of you and Katrina and Sara -- just perfect!

Running is dumb.

Love the Half

I'm almost hesitant to try another because this one was so great. I don't know if that makes sense and I know not every race can be great but I don't want a huge let down like I had on my second marathon. If I do try one, I'm thinking of something a little different like a 50K trail run as long as the trail is non-technical. I'm thinking Mandy or Amanda might be good references for something like that.

We have a 50K trail run here in WV in July.  The trail isn't technical but the course is a bitch with over 10,000 feet of elevation change.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

The JFK 50K is fairly flat but I think you have to have a marathon qualifying time to have a chance of getting in before it sells out.  I could be wrong about that.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

delicate flower

Sounds tiring!  Good stuff, George!  Congratulations.  I love how everyone really seems to look out for one another. 

<3

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

The JFK 50K is fairly flat but I think you have to have a marathon qualifying time to have a chance of getting in before it sells out.  I could be wrong about that.

JFK is a 50 miler with a very technical 13 mile section on the AT, then the rest is Towpath running.

George, if you want to travel to visit your family in IL, that could be an ideal place for an easier trail 50K.  I can think of a few off the top of my head, but Amanda is very involved in the Chicago ultra scene and would be a great resource as well.  Also, if you felt like popping into the Trailer Trash forum, we have a huge group of runners in the PA area.

Running is dumb.

GinnyinPA

Thank you for the RR.  I love reading about the spirit of camaraderie that is so much a part of ultra running.  If my body would only cooperate, I'd love to join the community.

If you are looking for another next spring, Chambersburg, PA has a 6, 12, 24 hour race in May.  I met some of the participants when I ran a 5k before the ultra began.  For a first annual, it had pretty good participation.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Its not a trail, but the area 51k looks cool.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013