Beginners and Beyond

Wake up Penguins, it's Saturday! (Read 26 times)

Sloooow.

Morning all!

Dave- What a wonderful thing for people to do, enjoy your run today. I always feel out of place here as I usually start my day at 11am, lol. I'm trying to get better about it, today I got up at 9:30am Smile

Tori- Snow in April?! It's in the 80's here Wink How exciting about your new job, I bet you can't wait!

Jerry- I'm pretty sure I've read about people going through a short mileage slump shortly after a race they have been working towards. You will get back into the rhythm of things in no time. Enjoy the rest Smile

Bin- Nice run, really sorry to hear about the car accident though! Hope the car damage is minimal, glad you are safe.

Zelanie- Hope your run goes well!

Ginny- I wouldn't  be happy about a 1pm start, only because it gets so hot here. I bet it's nice when it's cooler though! Best of luck for tomorrow Smile

Hog4Life- Congrats on the AG win!!

I actually got up at a reasonable time today, 3.2 miles done. I did the last 0.2 at 8:24 pace (!). How people can hold that pace for any amount of time is beyond me, lol.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Tori: sorry, but it's 90 here.

D2: have fun at the race. Can you send the 18/55?

jerry: sleeping beauty would be you?

Bin: sorry about the car but at least you are fine.

Zel: you'll be fine... It's called recovery!

Ginny: enjoy the rest

T-rod: 19?!  Great work!

its a rest day for me. I had a rubbish run yesterday that I jus want to forget. Tomorrow is my last long run before the HM next week. I hope I can get it together. Bad runs get me down.

hog4life

Mitch - You're a steel guy.  Serious work is in your blood.  I don't remember what your PR is, but 24:07 and 1st in your AG is pretty darn awesome.  Congratulations!

23:36 is my current PR. Funny thing is, the work needed is for the short distance, but I'm liking the longer stuff better. I need to do lots and lots of 400, 800, 1200, 1600 repeats, but I seem to enjoy 4-6 mile tempo runs better. Can you say "finding the happy median"?

tracilynn

Congrats Mitch on a super time. You are so fast. Perfect race day here in AL. Could not be more beautiful today.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Jack, you got the obligatory bad run out of your system so only good runs to follow now'

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

Mitch - wow, you are fast!  Congratulations on today's effort, even though it wasn't a PR.

Dave - our LRS is doing the Monday evening run as well.  If my legs aren't too trashed, I'd like to participate.

Coralie - nice run.

Jack - bad runs are upsetting, but can be good teachers too if you can figure out what went wrong.  Too little sleep, too little water, wrong food choices, overtraining, starting out too fast, heat, etc.  A lot of things to think about.  I'm sure you'll do great next week, despite the hill from hell.

SheCan

Morning friends!

Tori- Yuck snow!  Sorry!

Ginny- enjoy your rest day and try not to worry.  Look forward to hearing about your race.

Mitch- excellent time!  Congrats on the FIRST place AG!  Yay!

T-rod-  dang...great job on all those miles!

Coralie- if you can find out how they hold that fast pace for lots of miles you'll have to share it with me, cause I sure can't.  Though I rather suspect good health and lots of hard work go into it.  Oh well, my slow pace is hard enough for me.

Jack- I think bad runs are common before a race because your body gets so worn down while training.  The taper/rest before the race tends to fix that.   Plus what Traci says:  LOL I love it!

Jack, you got the obligatory bad run out of your system so only good runs to follow now'

I did 3-1/2 today after taking yesterday off, and was still sore.  It's quite unusual for me to still be achy 2 days after a hard run.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Dad on the run.

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday. I'm heading to the park to watch my nephew play t-ball and then running Week 6 Day 3 with my friends. I'm probably going to grab some more miles afterwards. Talk to you all later.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

This morning I did my first 10K distance in about 6 months.   The San Antonio Road Runners Fiesta Mission 10K was quite a long haul for me, but lots of fun.  Report and photos at:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/389c9790482c41fbaf0914d250fdd66b/resume#focus

Good luck with your miles today, Dave!  By 9 a.m. I was still on my 10K course, lol.

Snowing?  Dang, Tori and Awood, tell Mother Nature to give you a break!

Jerry, you are normal.  I was the same way for a while after my one and only marathon...went into 'lazy mode" for a bit, with an attitude of 'ain't training for nuthin'!"  Your mojo will return, you'll see.

Speedy Mitch!  Congrats for your 1st place AG!  I was the opposite, lol..I finished dead last in my age group for my 10K.

19 miles!  Way to go, Tomas! At least we had some nice weather this morning.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Remember when I said I had "nothing" to do this weekend? A bass player friend of mine called me and asked if I could play drums on a few songs he was recording. I sat in a studio the better part of the day while he and the producer nit picked and argued. It was boring and fun at the same time and he even paid me with a $50 gift voucher to Outback.

Mmmmm...beer

Just got back from the memorial run (and then ice cream afterwards), ran the route twice, and much faster than I had planned.  Told myself I was just going to make it a nice easy run, but the energy of the crowd and the emotions just kept me going.  8.4 miles @ 7:04/mile.  It was great to see so many people out there supporting Boston.  We had guys from VBFD walking in their gear, teams carrying American and Boston flags, all kinds of people carrying signs and wearing the Boston bibs.  They even had a crowd at the turnaround point setup like an aid station with water and gatorade.  For a quick unofficial event, it was really great.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

OK, so I ran 4 today and then ended up walking 2 back home.  I got greedy with my miles and couldn't make myself turn around a 2 or 2.5, then the knee really started bothering me at 3.5.  But damn all this sitting around.

I think long term, getting into a routine with foam rolling and myrtls is what will help.  So I will schedule that in, the same way I schedule my runs, so that I will hopefully be less flaky with it.  And I think I'm going to keep going on short, easy runs as long as it's not getting worse.

Mmmmm...beer

Jack, thanks for reminding me, I'll get it to you tonight.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dad on the run.

Just got back from the park! So my buddy did a mile run before I got there. Then we did Week 6 Day 3 and it was suppose to be a 5min warm up, 15 min run, 3 min walk, 5min run, then a 5min cooldown. He did 5 warm, 15run, 3walk, 12run for a total of 3.1 miles. After we cooled off I wanted to just run another mile at my own pace and he took off as well and did another mile!!! He ran 5 miles total today. I think he has an infection, lol.

Now they are coming over to grill some burgers and bake a cake... I know I know....  Will be fun though, plus we have 4 movies to watch that we haven't seen. Cloud Atlas, Jack Reacher, Django Unchained and Sliver Linings Playbook. Should be a fun night!

Also I'm going to put a shameless plug in here and say that I love love love my New Balance Minimus VT10. I ran 1 mile today at a pretty speedy pace for me and I just love the way I can feel the road under my feet. I tried to go back and wear a thicker shoe last night just to do go grab some food and take my daughter to Books-a-Million and I didn't make it out of the door before I put my Minimus back on. I really don't know if I will ever go back to a traditional style shoe again.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.