Beginners and Beyond

Question on Quality while working on Quantity (Read 84 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Add a 5th day of running and do the speed work on that day.  You will really, really thank yourself for adding that 5th day somewhere after Mile 20.

Recipe for disaster adding both quantity and quality at the same time for the newb.

You people have issues 

Yeah, that's why i'm looking to simply get the most mileage (yep, there's a pun for you) out of my scheduled mileage. Looks like I should stick with the scheduled 4 days a week and roll in unstructured speed work from time to time.

Recipe for disaster adding both quantity and quality at the same time for the newb.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Well you should only be taking advice from people more experienced than me, but just a comment from one n00b to another, based on one of the things I have picked up from these forums.

Like you I had always isolated my LR - day off before & after. When I increased from 4 days to 5 during my last cycle, one of the things I changed was to run the day before my LR. This makes you a bit more fatigued when you start your LR, which provides the benefit of:

1. Giving you practice running long on tired legs

2. Slowing down the pace of your LR to help you get in the miles & time on your feet.

And there was a bit of confidence building on ability to do marathon distance - if I run 8 then 18 the next day, that's 26, even though split up.

+1

I also like B2B long runs, and it helps give me confidence as well.

But I think it is something I probably didn't start til after my first couple marathons.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.