Beginners and Beyond

Sundog Sunday Penguins (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sundog:  bright spot or halo appearing on either side of sun

Hope you are a bright spot today in your world!

I am about to drive down to the McNay Museum for my 3rd 5K of the weekend.  This one is part of the festivities celebrating the 60th anniversary of our local art museum.  BTW, it is kind of cloudy today in San Antonio but the temp right now is 62 degrees, nice.

I preceded this 5K by doing two 5Ks on Saturday morning, one at 8 a.m. and one at 9:30 a.m.  Reports and photos:

https://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/7285d19027b44df98bd36cde37616160/resume#focus

https://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/8d6d8fa3e3d84d519e4d048e84d15b39/resume#focus

Hope everyone has a Sundog Sunday - BRIGHT!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

Scotty, good luck at the 5k. Sounds like good weather for ya. .

We are finally getting some great weather too. All 60s for the next week And even some 70s 

AFM, haven't been around much. Remember when I had a sinus Infection and daily nosebleeds?  Well turns out I had a strep Infection in my sinuses!  I also had strep throat (thanks kids) and bronchitis. 2 doses antibiotics. Took about 10 days off running and just now getting back. 30 miles behind pace bunny now and some hard runs Lately. It's good to be running again though.

have a great day pengs

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Scott and Traci.  Good luck on the 3rd 5k Scott.  Hope you had a nice anniversary.  Glad you are back Traci.

DW and I are headed to the track for a short run.  Looks like we are going to get more snow tomorrow    Hope DD1 and DSIL can get back from their California workation tomorrow.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

From the Internet.

G'morning pens! Week from hell - DH was away for work last week and his flight home on Sunday got screwed up, so he didn't get home until Monday night. In the meantime, I woke up at 12:30 AM Monday with the worst stomach plague I've ever had, spent all day throwing up and in pain. It took me until Thursday to start feeling normal again. On the bright side, I was so dehydrated that I had visible abs on Tuesday and Wednesday! :P

I did manage a 6.25 mile long run with the club yesterday, was worried that I'd still feel like crap but it was fine. Hung out at a cafe with a few of the club members for a little while afterward. They have homemade ice cream, and I cranked out my last mile in 9:43 while thinking about the ice cream waiting at the end (I had the coffee oreo and it was delicious). I was thinking about going to the gym later but I'm still really sore from lifting on Friday, probably better off just relaxing. Hoping next week is better!

hog4life

Hey everyone!

Traci, glad you are feeling better.

Lauren, a rest day sounds in order.

Scotty, good luck on the 5k.

Jerry, have a nice run later.

I did a 12.38 mile LR yesterday followed by a 3.5 mile bike ride. I need to wash my truck today and maybe a short recovery ruin later.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Scotty: You are a machine. That's all I can say.

Traci: Good to see you again. You have had a run of bad luck lately so I hope it is all behind you. Stay healthy! Smile

Jerry: Where in CA are they? Last night DW and I had an Asahi with our sushi. Good, good stuff.

Lauren: Nice run. Treats always taste better after a long run. Smile

Hog: Nice run yesterday! When is your net HM?

Four recovery miles for me. Nice and easy, 9:00 pace. Sweet... Laundry day, Costco trip, visit the parents, a few cold ones... three day weekends are nice.

Have a good day.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - I hope your morning race went as well as yesterday's races.  Have a restful afternoon!

Tracilynn - sorry you've been so sick.  I hope the antibiotics killed all the bad stuff and that you're rebuilding the good bacteria again.  Those first runs back after not running for a while are hard, but it doesn't take long to get back in the groove.

Jerry - hope your short run went well and that your daughter's family gets home safely.  A lot of travel has been disrupted this winter.

Lauren - sounds awful. Flu or food poisoning?  I'm glad you're feeling better.  Oreo coffee sounds like a good ice cream.  We have a similar one put out by Turkey Hill called Double Dunker.  I get that when I can find it at our local ice cream place.

Mitch - you know if you wash your truck it's going to rain/snow again.  Enjoy your recovery run later.

AFM:  I ended up doing six on the TM yesterday.  My hamstrings are way too tight, so I may do some yoga later.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

5 on the TM. Finally feeling like myself running again. Limited the walk breaks to one minute for every time 10 running and was maintaining running paces more like I'm used to (started at 12:30 but I felt so good I ended up at 11:08 by the end).

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jack, they were in Carmel yesterday.  Don't know about today, but they are probably heading back to LAX.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Oooooh... Carmel is nice!

PADRunner

An hour on the elliptical and an hour out on the bike. Hopefully that will help offset missing a 10 mi long run.

hog4life

Jack, the next one is supposed to be on April 5th with Awood. A bunch of my running friends are wanting to do a road trip to Tuscaloosa on March 8 for the Tuscaloosa Half. Probably will do that one and treat it as a long run or tempo type workout.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Pretty good day with lots of walking around the house and two trips to have breakfast and lunch (not driving).  Very good progress so far.

Damaris

Zelanie

Afternoon!  10 mile MLR done.  It was pretty windy out and the rivers are high.  I had to take a 2-mile detour because the route that I thought would be OK was flooded out.  Then later on I had to duck behind some news cameras that were interviewing people about the flooding.

I think Cheri's marathon was today.  I hope she had an awesome run and that it didn't get too hot!

Scotty- You are the Sundog of the forum every day of the week!

Traci- You have had such a rough winter.  I'm glad you got the sinus infection under control.

Jerry- Time to taper now? Smile

Lauren- Glad you got over your illness pretty quickly.  Having that ice cream waiting after a run sounds like a real treat!

Mitch- Hope it's not a real "recovery ruin" later! 

Jack- Hope you and DW enjoy your 3 day weekend!  We lost ours due to snow.  They're talking about adding minutes to the rest of the school days so that we don't have to go too late into June.

Ginny- Nice TM run!

kristin- Sounds like you are coming back nicely!

PAD- Good cardio workout!

D- I think this is where having good fitness really pays off.  Your body knows how to recover from stress.