Beginners and Beyond

BAA 10K RR - What knee surgery? (Read 120 times)

Kittyface

Tragic hip

Congrats babs!

Hip Redux

I am really glad I dragged you all to this.  Big grin   You done good, sir!!

Dr. Cornsitter

Wow. WOW! Great job! And what a beautiful weekend to be in Boston! Congratulations on your PR, especially so soon after surgery.

Looking good in your bracelet, btw!

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Resident Historian

Nice running!

No problem with the knee is even better than a PR. 

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Knit1Run2

Master of Chaos

I'm five months post-ACL/meniscus surgery.  I ran the BAA 10K today with MtnBikerChk (wife), Oski, Mr Oski, and my friend Mike (not MothAudio).  This was the first race in Boston since the marathon, so it had a real great vibe to it today.  I've been back running for two months now, and about five weeks into getting some mileage back.  I have not done much of any speedwork.  My focus has been on getting my endurance back up, as prescribed by my doc.  My PR was 47:48 and was very soft, having been set back in Nov 2011 which was my first year of running.  I had only run one 10K since and that was on tired legs.  10K's seem to be a rare beast around here.

I didn't really have a goal for this other than running strong and pain free.  I ran a 5K a couple of weeks ago in 23:39, so I had a pretty good idea of what I could do today if I didn't fall apart.  Sub-50 seemed realistic.  We got to Boston, got parked, used the portapotties, and got to the starting line with 10 minutes to spare.  Not enough time for a warmup with the swarms of people.  Bummer.

The temp was 73 and humid at the start and warmed up a bit during the race.  It got real warm in the sun.

The race went off in four waves based on your estimated finish time.  I got into the back of wave one (7:59 pace).  The horn sounded right at 8:00.  I really just had to go out and see what my legs and knee gave me.  I felt good running at 7:30 pace so I stuck to that.  I was passing a whole lot of people and did a fair bit of weaving that first 1K.

Mile 1:  7:29.  No time for a warm-up meant the first mile sucked.  My legs felt good enough but I was sucking wind.

Mile 2:  7:26  Feeling good now.  No knee pain.  Happy legs.  It realized PR pace was 7:42 and decided to see how far I could last at this pace since I was feeling good.  If I blow up, so what.  It was getting hot and didn't know how much that would affect me later in the race.  If I had to slow it down a bunch, I was ready to do that.  I was just happy to be here.  

Mile 3:  7:46.  Not a lot of uphill on this flat course, but it all came in this mile and I felt it.  The leaders went flying by on the other side.  It was really cool seeing them, as this was my first race with such an elite field.  My 5K split was 23:42, three second off my 5K from two weeks ago.  I was starting to hurt (the legs, not the knee).  I was getting hot and my legs were getting tired.

Mile 4:  7:34.  At exactly mile 4.55, I was ready for this to end.  "Crap, ~two more miles!"  My pace wasn't dropping but I was really starting to tire.  My knee didn't hurt one bit though, so I held my pace as best I could.  I realized I had built up a little cushion on my PR and wasn't ready to give it back yet.

Mile 5:  7:41.  Getting even hotter and more tired here.  Passing a whole lot of people, too.  I was starting to think mile 6 was going to be a slow one.  I spotted my friend John watching on the side of the road as I came under the bridge and up the incline.  I called his name and he snapped some pics.  Sweet!

Mile 6:  7:42.  Holding my pace, holding my pace, holding my pace.  How am I doing this!?  I expected to fade this last mile because of how much my legs hurt, but I was managing to hang on here.

Mile 6.2:  7:42 pace.  Finally seeing the finish line, that last .2 miles seemed a lot further away.  No final kick here...I was spent.  I crossed in an official 47:36 (7:37 pace) for a new PR by 12 seconds!  I was a happy Baboon!!

Overall:  756 / 5436

AG:  90/330

I couldn't be much happier about this.  Three months ago I would have been happy to know I could cover the distance at this point.  Doing so and setting a PR is more than I could have reasonably hoped for or expected.  Doing so on a warm and humid day is just a bonus.  Top 15% overall?  You kidding me?  I am thrilled.  I can't wait to see what a summer of more miles and speedwork will do for my fall races.  I see my doc one last time (I hope!) on Tuesday.  Hopefully he'll clear me to start hammering.

Now all that said, seeing the wife run her first 10K was even better.  Smile   She's come a long way and I am very proud of her.  <3

All in all, this was a great day with some good friends.  

You finished right behind my husband-he ran 47:27.  I managed to run my slowest 10K in a long time and chaff in places I never had before.  I could feel it burning on the run.  Congratulations on the PR!  I changed into my Boston stands as one shirt after the race.

Dr. Cornsitter

Oh, and I think this also means you can change your sig now. You've got nothing to explain Big grin

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

TakeAHike

Outstanding race Baboon.  I kept waiting to hear about the fade, but your hung in there.  I think you will be challenging your old HM and marathon PRs much sooner than you expected.  Well done.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

BruceD555

What a fantabulous race report and a PR to boot! I'm so happy to see you racing again after such a long dark, cold and debilitating winter. All those long hours of stretching and hitting the elliptical are paying off huge dividends now that you're back to "normal." Auhugh!!

Train smart ... race smarter.

delicate flower

You finished right behind my husband-he ran 47:27.  I managed to run my slowest 10K in a long time and chaff in places I never had before.  I could feel it burning on the run.  Congratulations on the PR!  I changed into my Boston stands as one shirt after the race.

Very cool!  Heh...I had no chance of beating your husband.  47:36 was all I had in me yesterday.

I see pics are being processed.  LOL I look like death.  This was in the final homestretch.  HOT AND TIRED.

<3

Knit1Run2

Master of Chaos

Very cool!  Heh...I had no chance of beating your husband.  47:36 was all I had in me yesterday.

I see pics are being processed.  LOL I look like death.  This was in the final homestretch.  HOT AND TIRED.

Now this is weird-you are in one of my husband's photos/or he is in yours.  http://www.marathonfoto.com/10K/B-A-A-10K-2013/offering/myMarathonfotos/RaceOID/12902013S6/Language/en

LRB

Good stuff man!  You will be setting PR's every time you race this distance for a good while.

It's weird that I thought your 10k best was a sub-46:00, must've been that other Boon.

What's next G?

workinprogress11

If I ever need a knee repaired, remind me to ask you for pointers on how to come back from it.  You must be doing everything right to be able to pull out a PR so soon after surgery.  I suspect the next 10k you run will be a PR as well.  Congratulations on a great race!

delicate flower

Knit1, that link isn't working...it just takes me to my last cookied gallery.

LRB, next up is my first duathlon on July 14.  4.5 K run, 40K bike, 10K run.  It's going to be a butt kicker, too.  I did not choose an easy course for my first duathlon.  After that, I've got a pretty full race schedule the rest of the year.  I count 11 of them.  I've got another 10K on Aug 25, though one of our favorite charity bikes rides is that day so we'll need to choose between the two.

workinprogress, I'd be happy to share my doctor's name though I hope you'll never need his services.  Wink  His aggressive approach to rehab is just my style.

<3

Knit1Run2

Master of Chaos

Oh, sorry, last name Robertson, bib 1116 if you want to see.  You are in the background checking your watch-classic runner move.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Phil that is AWESOME!!! You are making such a quick comeback from the knee surgery, it is so nice to hear that you are not only running strong, but PRing!!! Great RR!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to