Beginners and Beyond

REPORT AND PHOTOS: JON'S RUN/STROLL 5K (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO AND SHORT VERSION REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them

This was Race number 24 for me for the year 2015.   Held on May 9, 2015, this event is named for Jon Carl Stephenson who died of SIDS in 2002.  His family began this event to honor all who lost a child from any cause.  The race helps fund SIDS research and supports families struggling with the loss of a child.  The loss of any child, and especially an infant child, is a terrible thing, as I know from personal experience, so this race has special meaning for me.  And for others too, I'm sure.   Participants that do this one get very involved and there are a lot of teams out there, each team honoring its own special person.   This year was the 13th year for this event.  I don't think I've done all 13 of them, but I have done the majority of them.  213 finishers in the 5K and there was also a kids' run for the little kids and one for the bigger 'little kids" and a 2-mile "stroll."   I ended up finishing in 33:33, good enough for 3rd in my age group.   Weather was kind of cooperative.  Thunderstorms threatening and we had a couple of rumbles of thunder before we started, but no rain ever appeared.  However, it was VERY humid - 97% - and the dew-point was in the 70s and the skies remained dark...and there was a lotta sweatin' going on out there on the course.  By about the 2-mile mark, I was hoping Mother Nature would rain on us a bit, lol, just to cool us down a bit.

LONG VERSION  REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

I live fairly close to the race venue and with an 8:30 am. start, got to sleep in a bit more than I usually do for a race, so that was nice. Arrived at the race venue with about 45 minutes to start time and began doing my photo-taking ofthe venue area, and the participants, volunteers, etc.

Wheatley Heights is a very nice sports complex with stadium, football field, very nice track.  Lots of various events held here through the year.

photo 003_zpsbf7dwc6d.jpg

photo 004_zpscidqxzlw.jpg

photo 007_zpstc5v6rex.jpg

AthleteGuild did the course setup and results timing

photo 005_zpsuqczus9l.jpg

Some of the participants, volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo 002_zpsp9xwqagq.jpg

photo 006_zpskhlcwfgc.jpg

photo 008_zpsoqtc1i3u.jpg

team RWB in the house!

photo 009_zpslgktoitw.jpg

Nice to see one of my 'running crushes" and favorite people, Bernadette, at this event

photo 010_zpsewhmtv33.jpg

Another 'running crush" and favorite person of mine, Sherri...with some guy... 

photo 022_zpsfillylhh.jpg

photo 011_zpshzx4wvu6.jpg

photo 012_zpsd1xptorj.jpg

photo 013_zpsicj5ggvz.jpg

photo 014_zpsvces8hli.jpg

photo 015_zpsnszd2yul.jpg

photo 016_zpsnobcnpnh.jpg

photo 017_zpsk2zmsexu.jpg

photo 018_zpsqwu5e2sp.jpg

photo 024_zpsrrctdmiq.jpg

This is the dog version of my Siamese cat....white and blue eyes..

photo 026_zpsvdvyqlar.jpg

photo 027_zpsdecb65rn.jpg

photo 030_zpscpv2gkew.jpg

photo 032_zpsojqd2pe2.jpg

photo 033_zpsgysmf4ro.jpg

Before we started, there was a balloon release, with the balloon tails carrying messages to Heaven for those that wanted to send a message to their departed loved ones...

photo 028_zpsotttp0qs.jpg

photo 029_zpslmo0h2rj.jpg

Color Guard

photo 021_zpstg7ewk4f.jpg

photo 023_zpssaosyzkn.jpg

This choir sang for us before the start, and also did the National Anthem

photo 031_zps3crkoqlf.jpg

...with Old Glory flying strong in the breeze

photo 036_zpsaihpjj4a.jpg

Kid's Runs...

photo 019_zpsem0hvlur.jpg

photo 020_zpsvtzzvtk5.jpg

Getting ready to start...with dark skies above us...

photo 037_zpsgh9x4xkt.jpg

On the Course

Out-and-back course.  Around the track, out of the stadium and through the parking area for a bit, then onto some of the paved trails of San Antonio's 'greenway trails' system.  Very nice trails along a tree-lined route.   This course was pretty much flat, with just a couple of small inclines along the way.

photo 038_zpsfwgwscjx.jpg

photo 039_zpsl2v1meb0.jpg

photo 040_zpsl1pi8nls.jpg

photo 041_zpsoqqbmxxs.jpg

photo 042_zpsuj3lbngk.jpg

photo 043_zpsp8yg3bpk.jpg

photo 044_zpse1lt3uuv.jpg

This photo was intentionally blurred to protect the innocent in the stroller... ...ok, I just screwed this one up...

photo 045_zpsqstsaofh.jpg

photo 046_zps9oirbhwn.jpg

photo 047_zpsjtrywuwb.jpg

After the Finish

Got some water, did a bit of a cool-down walk, and then got some photos of folks in the finish area.

photo 048_zps2c8aqvm4.jpg

photo 049_zpsjdbpoyti.jpg

photo 050_zpsk8zb09gx.jpg

photo 051_zpsc9gkv7kh.jpg

Then it was off to get some post-race goodies....goodies were furnished by some great companies, including EZ's Brick Oven, Good Time Charlie's, and many more...

photo 053_zps7fqxywcr.jpg

photo 054_zpsxhirbtvz.jpg

photo 055_zpsbnwjhpdc.jpg

photo 057_zpsbye1jhiv.jpg

...and nice-and-cold-and-refreshing post-race beer...their was a choice of Tecate Light and Shiner Light, both good beers....today I opted for the Tecate Light...oh yeah....

photo 061_zpsd9criikd.jpg

photo 060_zpshyogumal.jpg

More "Happy Finishers" et al.....

photo 052_zpskanawxid.jpg

photo 058_zpsjxgdqg08.jpg

This lady was is with San Antonio Children's Hospital, an organization where I donate any medals I get.

photo 062_zpstv4gxonp.jpg

photo 063_zpsz90igh4i.jpg

photo 064_zpsmonnf8lk.jpg

photo 065_zpsfvgq0pic.jpg

photo 066_zpsmsppq0bb.jpg

This group, BillyRay Sheppard and The Main Event Band, played some fine entertaining music for us...they are really good!

photo 067_zps6ediexli.jpg

photo 085_zpscgnsvkq0.jpg

photo 068_zpspmezs7ip.jpg

photo 069_zpso0cp2qct.jpg

photo 070_zpsgm6yweg2.jpg

Me and my good friend-and-fellow veteran John Purnell, who also has a very good local race-and-coaching company.  John is the father of one of my running crushes, Sherri (her photo is in this report earlier)...uh huh...the beautiful Sherri...and father John...I think Sherri may be adopted... 

photo 071_zpsf84y5wor.jpg

photo 073_zpsqjy29gex.jpg

photo 074_zps8i77rx4c.jpg

photo 075_zpsgjgkajmn.jpg

photo 076_zpssljnxz57.jpg

photo 079_zpshhv4sdpd.jpg

After photo of my new pal, the 'Siamese dog" and his humans....doggie looks a bit more tired here than in the pre-start photo...

photo 081_zpsoogqzo0m.jpg

photo 082_zpsrv7wtvd3.jpg

photo 083_zpsiiixdizp.jpg

photo 084_zpsizucdapj.jpg

photo 086_zpssd4sm5y7.jpg

photo 087_zpsw3rtondr.jpg

Bernadette and I each got medals in our age group...

photo 077_zps1cehzkug.jpg

photo 078_zpse6bazbvn.jpg

I wore my medal for a bit and then took it right over to this lady to give to the cancer kids at the hospital..

photo 080_zpsg2sg6vtq.jpg

EPILOG

This continues to be on great event year after year after year.  One that touches the heart and also has a good course, lots of post-race goodies, musical entertainment, nice award medals, nice race shirts. Definitely a keeper race on the race calendar!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on the AG win, Scotty. Looks like a good race. I like the balloon release.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

24 races already?  Wow.  Breaking records as usual, Scotty.  Nice RR!

Damaris

PADRunner

Nice job & race scotty.

LRB

The balloon release idea was pretty cool.