Beginners and Beyond

Whitherward This Wednesday, Penguins? (Read 27 times)

Sloooow.

Hey all. Still alive and reading every day, just don't feel like a runner right now.  Feeling much better, over my illness, just dealing with residual fatigue. Had a 9.5 mile week last week, aiming for 11 miles this week. My schedule is so out of whack (getting up at 11am, going to bed at 3am) and my oldest starts school next week, so I'm just very discombobulated.

Happy running!

Zelanie

Got my 5 in this morning.  A bit of a slog, but I ran last night, too, and I'm not used to that really lately.

Traci- I call anything that I have to change my effort or pace on a hill.  There's one at the start and end of my runs that's only probably 30 feet long, but it's steep!  So it's a hill.

To calculate grade, I believe it's just rise/run x100, as long as you are using the same units.  So your hill would be 65 feet rise divided by 1320 feet run, or 4.92% grade.  I'd say that counts!

I am up for the plank challenge!  I just did 2 mins.  So Damaris' shoes are safe for today!

Jack- I am pretty obsessive about getting my runs in when I'm following a training plan.  Heck, even when I'm not following a training plan.  But I was just reading over at the Half Marathon Trainers group that being too anal about your plan is a newbie mistake.  So I guess we're both newbies. Wink  I can live with that!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jack, the Asics 2000 is meant for "mild to moderate over-pronators".  In my experience, they are similar to the Brooks Ravennas -- my other main "go to" shoe.

I wear ASICS too, but I'm the opposite foot type of you, Philly.  I underpronate, so I am in the Nimbus. They have worked well for me for years.  Every year I hope, wish, and pray that ASICS does not mess with the design too much when the new models come out!  So far so good, ASICS has been very nice - unlike that damn New Balance shoe company that RUINED my favorite 992 shoe model - and really does very minimal changes to the Nimbus, which I greatly appreciate.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hey all. Still alive and reading every day, just don't feel like a runner right now.  Feeling much better, over my illness, just dealing with residual fatigue. Had a 9.5 mile week last week, aiming for 11 miles this week. My schedule is so out of whack (getting up at 11am, going to bed at 3am) and my oldest starts school next week, so I'm just very discombobulated.

Happy running!

((((Coralie)))))

tracilynn

I consider stepping up a curb to be a hill Big grin

ha

jack, just google "super model planks" I should be in page 1 of the search.

zel, 2 minute plank is great. You're advanced so you need to plank on your pinky fingers and your 3rd toes.

Dave will likely need to do this variation of plank too. Joking

Margo, new shoes yayayayay

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Coralie- I still feel like that many days before I go run.  But I generally feel better once I'm out there.  Hope things improve once your fall schedule evens out!

Traci- I think what has helped is that I do my PT exercises without holding on to a wall (unless I'm about to fall over, hehe).  I figure it has to be better for the core that way, even though most people seem to hold on to something when they do them!  So even though they're designed to work mostly hip muscles, maybe I'm also doing some good for my balance and core.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice to see you Coralie!

Done with my expensive foam rolling session/paid torture aka massage. He got the bothersome knot in my quad out mostly, but said there's still a lump of scar tissue in there from when I tore that quad tendon 5 years ago that will take more work. He also worked the knots and tightness in my calves and hips.....I feel like a new woman! Also got my run in.....my first Running Wizard Hill workout, which involved a lot of easy jogging, some strides, and uphill "bounding." It was fun Smile. Ended up with about 3 miles.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

And I think D2 probably has a planking desk so he can hold plank position all day while he works. Joking

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

PF: judging by the wear on my tread, I am like Scotty, an underpronator, especially on my right foot. I will bring this up at the LRS next time.  I like my New Balance 860 V3 but I am starting to wonder if a change is in order.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks, Scotty.

I do pushups (80+), situps (150+) and planks daily.  Pullups if I can go to the park (my max was 20 pullups last year).  If you guys want my shoes, you better start.

And I am taking an SRD.  Between the allergy shot and the asthma, it is not a good day to push it.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Glad to see you around!

Happy running!

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi Coralie.   Hope you get dis-discombobulated.

Traci, our hills are called "Bridges".

I lied.  Ran 3 miles before the dentist.  Did 1.5 miles runningvals.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hi Coralie.   Hope you get dis-discombobulated.

Traci, our hills are called "Bridges".

I lied.  Ran 3 miles before the dentist.  Did 1.5 miles runningvals.

I bet I know what time your dentist appointment was, Jerry.  Toothurty, right?  Big grin

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The less I'm around, the more chatty you guys get Big grin

P3's calf sleeves came in.  I got tired of waiting for her to order them.  So, I ordered them.  She loves them, and would probably still not have ordered them.  Oh well.  We all need a push once in a while.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

I got my shoes! Big grin Is it 5am yet???