Beginners and Beyond

When Do you Retire your Race Shoes? (Read 78 times)

B-Plus

From the Internet.

Who's the balla in this thread?

Did we ever figure this out?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I totally forgot about this thread lol.

I am thinking about retiring my LR shoes, they've got like 400 miles on them but I am really beginning to see my socks through the top (these shoes are the ones with the very open/airy tops as you can see from the pics of them) and I can feel a HUGE difference between them and my easy run shoes and my MLR shoes which only have 238 and 279 miles. My newest shoes which are for the marathon have 23.9 miles on them from a couple test runs and the half marathon.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

I've been training in shoes that had over 500 miles in them, without realizing it. All three pairs of them. My legs were always sore these last 3-4 months and I thought it was the effect of training. Then, about 3 weeks ago, I added up the miles, went  and bought three new pairs. I tapered with two of them and ran the marathon in the third one, without even testing them before the race. After the marathon, my legs were sore for three days, but yesterday and today, nothing. I feel like I'm ready for speedwork again.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Damn Lily.

Yeah I have yet to wear a single pair of shoes for over 500 miles, hell I think my LR shoes have the most mileage I've ever put on a pair of training shoes so far.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Generally 400 to 450 miles.  I noticed recent models are lasting a bit longer, but eventually they all start feeling dead.

B-Plus

I totally forgot about this thread lol.

Good thing some tard went bump happy last night.

B-Plus

Lily, it's time to move to electronic 

happylily

Lily, it's time to move to electronic 

But look at the turntable. It's back again. I'm waiting for all this modern world to collapse and I will rule once more with my pens and paper. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Things that go bump in the night!

Good thing some tard went bump happy last night.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

You need an excuse to buy new shoes?… I never got that memo.

What bluerun said haha.

I am terrible with keeping track of the mileage on my shoes. I promised myself I'd use the handy equipment feature on RA but often I only upload my garmin data once a week or so and by then I forget which shoes I used for each run. But when the treads start to look really worn down I usually get nervous and retire them. I wish I had a more exact method than that.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

I feel most like a noob whenever shoe talk comes up. I have no idea when a shoe is "done"; they feel the same to me at mile 1 as they do at mile 500. I have used a 500 mile replacement rule of thumb for no particular reason. I only have 2 pair of active shoes at a time which I rotate. I replaced the last 2 pair at 400, mainly due to the timing of my marathon - did not want to run in 500 mile shoes, or shoes right out of the box. Also I get a lot of wear on the outside right heel, it's really scary how far down it wears, I can't believe it's a good thing to keep running on that.

I also can't tell the difference between most shoes I've tried. I've just been sticking to the same 2 for most of the time I've been running.

Dave

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

hey Dave, outside heel wear is normal.  It just means you are a heel striker like most of us.

But if you have significantly higher wear on one foot vs the other, that would indicate some biomechanical or strength imbalance, gait problem etc.  I have a bit of that too, maybe not as pronounced.  People are generally not 100% symmetric.

It's funny you say you cannot tell when the shoes are dead...  I can definitely feel odd aches and pains, mostly in the ankle and shins, when it's time to replace.  Don't think it's mental.  Some shoes last longer, e.g. my Mizuno Ascend 2 trail shoes lasted well over 500 miles.  And I could probably wear them longer if I wanted to.  They were heavier and more sturdy than my road shoes.

hey Dave, outside heel wear is normal.  It just means you are a heel striker like most of us.

But if you have significantly higher wear on one foot vs the other, that would indicate some biomechanical or strength imbalance, gait problem etc.  I have a bit of that too, maybe not as pronounced.  People are generally not 100% symmetric.

Mine is pretty pronounced. And I was told once I kind of swing my right leg around with every step, which of course I don't notice & feels totally normal to me, but I suppose that is the cause. Not sure how I'd fix it, or if I want to try. Although it may be noteworthy that most of my injuries & general aches/pains have been on the right side.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Mine is pretty pronounced. And I was told once I kind of swing my right leg around with every step, which of course I don't notice & feels totally normal to me, but I suppose that is the cause. Not sure how I'd fix it, or if I want to try. Although it may be noteworthy that most of my injuries & general aches/pains have been on the right side.

I actually see a lot of people who do that,and it is ALWAYS the right leg...

PRs