Beginners and Beyond

Floccinaucinihilipilification Friday Penguins (Read 26 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Floccinaucinihilipilification: The act of estimating something to be worthless.

Which is what I did yesterday for the 'so-called' rain storms we had. Pathetic.  We need rain really badly here in San Antonio and yesterday's forecast called for 70% rain.  It may have happened somewhere in our area but where I was, it was pathetic; came down for about 15 minutes and then just stopped.  So I estimated that rain to be totally worthless.

It also did happen right when I was about at the half-way point of my run/walk so I got a really nice soaking.  This was not a good rain either, it was quite a warm rain and after it stopped it only made things even more humid.  I was in the park on some trails and could see the 'steam' rising from the plants, etc., post-rain because of the humidity, it was like running in a hot-house.  Heck, I think even a part of my soaked running shirt was steaming a bit between me sweating like crazy and the humidity and the temp being a nice 88 degrees, with a dewpoint in the 70s, gaaack.  Never-the-less, I managed to get in 5K distance and I did feel pretty strong on for my whole run/walk, which was nice.

Funny at one point, though.  This park is quite near Fort Sam Houston.   As I was going down one trail, I heard the music from the military base playing retreat. So being 'conditioned' after 24 years of military service, I stopped, faced the music, put my hand on my heart, and waited for it to finish.  While I was standing there, a park police guy came by, saw me with my hand on my heart and asked if I was having chest pains. 

Rest day today and tomorrow I have a 5K in the morning.  My 29th race of 2014.  I am also leaving work early today for a dentist appointment.  Not looking forward to it cuz I think I may have a cavity in my back tooth.  Well, at my age, I guess I should just be happy to still have teeth. 

obiebyke

Sorry for the pathetic rain, Scotty. We got quite the storms in Minneapolis yesterday! RD for me today. Tomorrow is my long workout.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

PADRunner

We had a trace yesterday morning, then 2-4 inches in 10 minutes in the afternoon so most of it went down the drain. At lest it will help the lake levels a bit.

2 miles this morning. Yesterdays rain brought today's 96% humidity.

hog4life

The rain is here. I'm taking a rest day.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Floccing what?  I would have had to copy/paste that word from the internet to be able to spell it right!

Morning!  Working from home until I head to the Keys for a conference all day (all weekend, but I am only attending today).

5 and weights tonight.

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning!  Still pretty rainy here.  I'll run between 6-10 after work, depending upon time, the weather, and my mood.

sapf- It's just an elementary school track club, very casual.  Two days a week, a teacher is out on the track half an hour before school starts, and kids can come early and walk or run before heading to class.  We keep track of their laps and they get a prize every so often for miles completed.  Thursdays is my day.

Scotty- Good luck at the dentist!  At least getting the cavity fixed will be a positive, right?

obie- Enjoy the RD!

PAD- Yikes!  Wonder if that's the same storm that Scotty was caught in?  We got soaked at running club last night, too.  Wettest run in a while.

Mitch- Enjoy the RD.

D- Hope the conference is worthwhile!

sapf- It's just an elementary school track club, very casual.  Two days a week, a teacher is out on the track half an hour before school starts, and kids can come early and walk or run before heading to class.  We keep track of their laps and they get a prize every so often for miles completed.  Thursdays is my day.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  The dinner with chorus last night was all kinds of fun, but I didn't get my 10-year pin because the Membership Coordinator does not have her stuff together.  She basically missed my name on the list, which is annoying.  And this morning she tried to tell me that my 10-year mark is this coming November, when it was actually last November.  So we're still going round the bush on that one.  Today is a quiet day on the campus, with exams over and graduation on Sunday.  It's a pretty day, so I might bug out early, depending on how well I manage to troubleshoot one of my instruments.  

Scotty -- laughing at you scaring the park police guy!!  

obie -- have a good RD!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 2!!

hog -- have a good RD!!

Docket -- enjoy your working, conferencing, weights, 5!!

Zelanie -- enjoy your RUL (run of undetermined length)!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Scotty: Good luck at the dentist. My six month check up is coming soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Obie: Have a nice rest day and great LR tomorrow.

PAD: 96%... Terrible. I think you and Docket are the only ones who can say they live in that.  Yuck...

Hog: Good stuff on FB and enjoy the rest.

D: Going to the Keys for a conference? Must be nice.

Zel: 6-10 is a pretty big window. If it is not raining, I am guessing it will be 10.

HsM: It's Friday! You WILL bug out early!

As for me, 6 miles tonight and 12-14 in the morning. Next week is taper time; two weeks until the marathon with DW. It won't feel like much of a taper for me, as this cycle has been been pathetic because of injury. I am hoping to keep up with her during the race. More on that in the next week.  DD is running the 3200 today in league finals and the other DD woke up with a red, sore throat and a completely stuffed nose. No swimming for her today.  Tomorrow, after my early run, DW and I are driving to San Diego to see DS and give him his passport. This summer he is going deep into Mexico on his first archaeology trip for his major. It's a three week trip and he gets credit for two classes. Fun stuff.

Have a great weekend.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jeez!  This guy in the Houston area  is obviously one sh*tty person….

‘Pooping Is Not OK’: Texas Neighborhood Being Terrorized by Man

The Blaze – May 8, 2014

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05/08/pooping-is-not-ok-man-caught-on-camera-doing-dirty-business-on-sidewalk/

In the Woodland Heights area, a man is reportedly doing his business on sidewalks and in yards. He’s apparently targeted one home six times, as well as others.

One fed-up neighbor installed a surveillance camera in a tree and actually recorded images of a man appearing to defecate on a sidewalk — and leaving behind pieces of paper towel he apparently employed for wiping.

Deputies said they are looking for the suspect — who strikes at night and early in the morning — and could face an indecent exposure or criminal mischief charge.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - sorry your rain yesterday didn't amount to much.  Still, 15 minutes is better than nothing.  Good luck with your race tomorrow.

Obiebyke - enjoy your RD today and your LR tomorrow.

PAD - we got the humidity today too, though we got no rain yesterday.  Can't even see the mountains this morning.

Mitch - enjoy your RD today.

Damaris - hope your conference is interesting.

Z - I hope you get a good run in this afternoon.  I thought you were in the dry part of the state.  Is this your rainy season?

HM - how frustrating not to get recognition for your ten years.  Will there be another banquet in the fall?  Hope you get to enjoy the nice weather this afternoon.

Jack - sounds like a busy weekend.  I envy your son.  I love archaeology, though field trips deep in Mexico ought to be in winter, not summer.

AFM:  probably a rest day today.  It's hot and humid, not a great day outside.  My feet are a little sore from yesterday's hike, so I'll let them rest.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning, Scotty.

Good luck with the dentist.  Dr. Krentist?

Have a dry RD, Obie and Mitch.

Stay cool PAD.

Have fun in the Keys, Docket.

Hope you stay in a good mood, Z.

Congrats on 9 years, HsM !!!

Good luck to DD, Jack.

Ran 4 on the bike path for a post cortisone high.  Had to move a lot of branches since it had just stopped raining and the bikers sure don't move them.   DW almost fell off the path when I told her about Scotty's run.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Send that rain our way, obiebyke and Zelanie!  Good luck with your long workout tomorrow, obiebyke.

Yeah, we are getting the same kind of thing you are, PAD.  Not enough rain and too much humidity.

Enjoy that rain, Mitch, and the rest day.

So will you run in the Keys then, Damaris, after your retreat?  Nice.

Zelanie, this is just the checkup appointment and then I will probably have to go back to get the cavity fixed. Fun stuff.   Hope everything improves for you Zelanie, your weather and your mood.

So sorry about not getting the pin, HsM, that sucks. Maybe it's time for a new Director, the memory of this one seems to be going.   Enjoy your day if you get out early!  Yeah, graduation for us here too, so the campus is quiet.  My office is still busy though, our office job is all year round and the work never stops.

Well, Jack, I've been procrastinating going back to the dentist so this is my 2-year checkup, lol.   Another busy weekend for you!  Good luck with it all!

Enjoy your rest day, Ginny.  Roll those sore feet on a frozen water bottle, it will make them feel wonderful.

Glad you are able to run post-cortisone, Jerry, hope it worked for you a bit.  I may be with you soon, except I may have to get synvisc again, not cortisone.  This is THREE injections over  2 weeks right into my knee.  Ouch.   The stuff does work well for me, but those injections hurt like hell going in.  Jerry, why would DW fall off the path after being told about my run?  Just another normal run for me.  Now, you really want to make her fall-out, you should tell her about the time I ran smack-dab into a police horse butt....

Singer who runs a smidge

One of my sales reps came by and took us out to lunch, so between that and the troubleshooting, I may not get out of here early.  It's ok, though, because hey, free lunch!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Floccinaucinihilipilification: The act of estimating something to be worthless.

Which is what I did yesterday for the 'so-called' rain storms we had. Pathetic.  We need rain really badly here in San Antonio and yesterday's forecast called for 70% rain.  It may have happened somewhere in our area but where I was, it was pathetic; came down for about 15 minutes and then just stopped.  So I estimated that rain to be totally worthless.

It also did happen right when I was about at the half-way point of my run/walk so I got a really nice soaking.  This was not a good rain either, it was quite a warm rain and after it stopped it only made things even more humid.  I was in the park on some trails and could see the 'steam' rising from the plants, etc., post-rain because of the humidity, it was like running in a hot-house.  Heck, I think even a part of my soaked running shirt was steaming a bit between me sweating like crazy and the humidity and the temp being a nice 88 degrees, with a dewpoint in the 70s, gaaack.  Never-the-less, I managed to get in 5K distance and I did feel pretty strong on for my whole run/walk, which was nice.

Funny at one point, though.  This park is quite near Fort Sam Houston.   As I was going down one trail, I heard the music from the military base playing retreat. So being 'conditioned' after 24 years of military service, I stopped, faced the music, put my hand on my heart, and waited for it to finish.  While I was standing there, a park police guy came by, saw me with my hand on my heart and asked if I was having chest pains. 

Rest day today and tomorrow I have a 5K in the morning.  My 29th race of 2014.  I am also leaving work early today for a dentist appointment.  Not looking forward to it cuz I think I may have a cavity in my back tooth.  Well, at my age, I guess I should just be happy to still have teeth. 

I used to have a t-shirt with this word on it. It took 3 lines. It's the longest word in the Oxford English Dictionary.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.