Beginners and Beyond

Break Out Your Tartans Monday, Penguins, And Have A Twinkie! (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  RD.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

April 6th is Tartan Day and Hostess Twinkie Day!  Twinkie production ended in 2012 when the Hostess company went bankrupt, but came back into production in 2013, after the firm was bought by a private equity firm.  Personally, I don't think the new firm's 'twinkies' taste like the original company's twinkies.  Tartan Day is a celebration of Scottish heritage on April 6, the date on which the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish independence) was signed in 1320.

April 6 is also:

New Beer's Eve - Celebrating the end of Prohibition.  Alcohol sales became legal again on April 7, 1933.

Image result for penguin beer    Image result for penguin beer

National Student Athlete Day

Image result for penguin high school mascot

Charlie Tuna Day - Charlie is not around anymore....he got canned.... 

Army Day - Army Day was established as a nationwide observance to draw public attention to national defense and to acquaint the public with Army activities. On April 4, 1936, President Roosevelt issued a proclamation that Army Day be recognized by Congress as April 6 and observed nationwide. On March 1, 1937, Congress passed Resolution 5-75 which officially recognized Army Day, celebrated on April 6th.  Army Day was last observed nationally on April 6, 1949.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is a rest day for me from running; may do a weight training circuit after work.

Saturday, April 4th, I did the Diploma Dash 5K at the university where I work:   http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/57fec8682b504cf0891b8ae95e6d166d/resume#focus

Followed that up by attending on Sunday a Runners With Dogs event, which was very fun:   http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/e704114ef89345508b2be4d52d59cc9a/resume#focus

PADRunner

Morning RD2 for me and my calendar is blank. I do have my group training and I'm going to imitate scotty, I've got 5Ks for the next 3 Saturdays.

tracilynn

Morning scotty and PAD

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do today(or tomorrow) I need to come up with a plan of attack on my rt shin. Rest? No rest? Run/ walk? My PT wants me to stop running for 2 months and "blast my core with exercises". I can't do that(quit totally) I think I will run walk 30sec/30sec (suggested by Docket) and do lots of core work and also cross train at the gym (Pilates and PIYO type stuff)  BLAH why can't my body work right? 

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  My massage on Saturday was WONDERFUL!!  I'd only had one previously with this woman, and I asked her to use a bit more pressure this time.  MAN, she took me at my word!!  Let's just say that there were lots of knots, and she used her elbows a bunch!!  So I took a nap Saturday afternoon, and a bubble bath Saturday evening, and I'm moving around a bit better.  Might even go for a walk today!  I have a dentist appointment tomorrow at 2:00, so I'm bagging the day.  I don't see much use in driving 2.5 hours to work 3 hours.

Docket -- have a good RD!!

Scotty -- I love guys in kilts, woo-hoo!!  Can't convince DH to wear one, though.  I like Twinkies too, but haven't had one in years.

PAD -- nice for your RD and blank calendar, woo-hoo on your marathon!!

traci -- woo-hoo for your race too!!  Name one runner who doesn't have a problem running.  Seriously, something like 80% of us will have a major injury during our running career.  This stuff is hard on your body.  But hey, try the walk/run and core stuff, what do you have to lose?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Oops, didn't see this one.  Hi, everybody!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning scotty and PAD

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do today(or tomorrow) I need to come up with a plan of attack on my rt shin. Rest? No rest? Run/ walk? My PT wants me to stop running for 2 months and "blast my core with exercises". I can't do that(quit totally) I think I will run walk 30sec/30sec (suggested by Docket) and do lots of core work and also cross train at the gym (Pilates and PIYO type stuff)  BLAH why can't my body work right? 

Hubby ran through the shin splints with the 30/30.  Maybe cut back the days of running and run every other day to start and see how you feel?  Galloway said the 30 seconds allows the area not to get too inflamed or something during the running.  It keeps it below the threshold.

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning!!!

Never much of a Twinkie fan, but I sure did like Hostess cupcakes when I was a kid.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!  After 23 miles over the course of 3 days, today is a much needed rest day.  I'll do a yoga class with my friend and grab some lunch with her though.  Spring break = no students = complete freedom for a week =D

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Sapf and Jack - enjoy your spring breaks.

D - enjoy your rest day. I suppose since it's taper time, you really are planning to rest.  Are you excited about your trip to Paris?

PAD - aren't you going to take a break at all?  You must really have finished strong.

Scotty - I used to like Twinkies, though we ate snowballs more often for some reason. The cupcakes were better.  I haven't eaten any of them for years now.  I have three Scottish lines - Graham, Anderson and Baird, so I have a choice of tartans. Who knew there were that many beers with penguins on them?!  Enjoy your rest day.

Traci - I definitely understand not wanting to stop running for two months.  Do you have access to a bike?  That would at least get you outside.  How about an elliptical - does that stress your leg?

HopesMom - good luck at the dentist tomorrow.  I'm glad you enjoyed your massage.  I need one, but am too cheap to pay for a good one.

Jerry and Zelanie - Hi.  Are you running today?

AFM:  Beautiful sunny day, so I'm hoping to get Jim and Ben out in the woods for a few miles this afternoon.  I'm still coughing from yesterday, and wondering if I have Exercise Induced Asthma.  It has happened before after a hard effort - long run or race - where I couldn't breathe and ended up coughing for a day or two.

PADRunner

PAD - aren't you going to take a break at all?  You must really have finished strong.

I probably wont be racing them, just running. The first  is with my running club, second with my sister and third one is a Nice city race.

I'm actually feeling pretty good though. I guess having a self governor has it's benefits.

Zelanie

I did run.  10 on the TM.  I have to work super late on Thurs. and Fri., and have a 5K on Sat., so I am trying to fit as many miles in to the early part of this week as I can.

Ginny- Hope the cough improves.  Maybe you just inhaled some dust or something?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sapf and Jack - enjoy your spring breaks.

D - enjoy your rest day. I suppose since it's taper time, you really are planning to rest.  Are you excited about your trip to Paris?

Scotty - I used to like Twinkies, though we ate snowballs more often for some reason. The cupcakes were better.  I haven't eaten any of them for years now.  I have three Scottish lines - Graham, Anderson and Baird, so I have a choice of tartans. Who knew there were that many beers with penguins on them?!  Enjoy your rest day.

Traci - I definitely understand not wanting to stop running for two months.  Do you have access to a bike?  That would at least get you outside.  How about an elliptical - does that stress your leg?

HopesMom - good luck at the dentist tomorrow.  I'm glad you enjoyed your massage.  I need one, but am too cheap to pay for a good one.

Jerry and Zelanie - Hi.  Are you running today?

AFM:  Beautiful sunny day, so I'm hoping to get Jim and Ben out in the woods for a few miles this afternoon.  I'm still coughing from yesterday, and wondering if I have Exercise Induced Asthma.  It has happened before after a hard effort - long run or race - where I couldn't breathe and ended up coughing for a day or two.

Not really excited yet because I AM FREAKING OUT.  But I am sure I will be by the time we land.

Damaris