Beginners and Beyond

Week 5 Penguins have their chocolate cake and eat it too! (01/26-02/01) (Read 6 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hiya, Penguins!  I got most of my crazy weekend stuff finished, although now I know there's a difference between Meyer lemons and regular lemons.  Let's just say that my lemon cheesecake (at least the batter) is ... nuanced, rather than in-your-face-lemon.  Oh well, it'll be fine.  And now that I know, I'm wondering what else I can make with those Meyer lemons, since they're sweeter and more subtle than regular lemons.  I bet they'd work great in a water infuser, but I don't infuse my water.  Well, I'm sure Google will help me out.

Weights and biking done, with a short detour to try to help catch a loose dog, but it had disappeared by the time I got myself pulled up on the sidewalk.  Hope she made it back to her owner!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh, the cake thing.  It's Chocolate Cake Day.  Actually, I'm not usually fond of chocolate cake, because it never seems to taste much like chocolate.  I am WAY into chocolate frosting, though, so there's that.  But chocolate cake seems to be "what's the point?"  And DH doesn't really love chocolate like I do, so I don't have a lot of incentive to experiment and find a chocolatey-er cake recipe.  Oh well.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! I hate Mondays, ugh. LOL. I have 6 tonight.

I don't love chocolate but I like chocolate cakes. But not dark chocolate. When I bake one, it's always with semi-sweet chocolate.

HopesMom, I am sure the cheesecake was delicious but if you want, I'll sacrifice and eat it. Send to me!

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - I love a subtle lemon or lime cheesecake. You taste the cheesecake that way, not just the topping or flavoring. I also love chocolate cake, but I rarely have it. If it's my birthday I'll do carrot cake or spice cake, if it's Jim's we have pie and ice cream.

Rest day for me. After six straight days running, I'm tired, even though they didn't add up to that much. But there were 3 workouts in there and I'm not used to that.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hiya, folks!  I'd gotten comfortable with my weights routine, and had been thinking about stepping it to the next level (currently on level 1, and there are I think 5).  So yesterday I actually did the research to find out what the moves for the next level were, and did them this morning.  Um, yeah.  They're definitely more demanding, so mission accomplished.  It'll be interesting to see what tomorrow feels like!

Lifting the trike out of the car after weights, not so easy.  But biking done also.

It's always interesting to get insight into what an overcooked noodle feels like ... 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! I didn't sleep at all the prior night but fortunately, I worked from home so I was a zombie but at home. Didn't run as I took Rubio to the vet and he has some possibly bad news; either a kidney infection or a kidney mass. We will know more in the next few days.

I have 8 with hill sprints.

HopesMom, hoping you didn't get to feel how an overcooked noodle feels like.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - good job going to the next level with your weights. I'm extremely erratic so I never get any stronger. I tend to do light hand weights if I run on the TM and am in the basement cooling down. Otherwise, they sit in the corner untouched for weeks at a time.

D - I hope you get your run done today. I know you're feeling a lot of stress ATM, and it may help.

I have a recovery run this afternoon. I need it after my hill repeats yesterday.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all!  I'm busy in the lab today, only wish stuff was actually working!  Well, I'm used to taking the foibles of instruments and samples and turning them into data, so hopefully I can wave my magic wand and get stuff to work.

Definitely some sore spots this morning, so the weights are doing something, anyway.  Not that I've got these ripped abs or smashing guns to show for it, but that's ok.  I'll settle for enough muscle to keep standing upright and doing what I want to do.

Weights and biking done.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh, and sending good vibes to Rubio!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey Penguins,

RD today -- needed a break from the weights.  And no biking due to chorus rehearsal tonight, which is exercise enough itself.  I'll be glad when my tech gets back, this running the lab by myself is a pain!  Lots to do, and I've barely gotten started.  But hey, I just billed a guy about $650, so there's that.

Off and running, or waddling, Penguin-like!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks! Got home late and between giving Rubio medication and the construction, we only had time for 6 miles. I have the famous 8 twice attempted tonight.

HopesMom, hope you've enjoyed the rest. Enjoy rehearsal.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey folks!

Just wanted to let you know that I'm taking Monday off work, totally due to getting home so late from our SB party the night before.  Our friends live at least an hour away from us, maybe more -- they live on the back side of Buck Mountain, if that helps you visualize.  Anyway, the Penguin thread won't get started by me on Monday.  If y'all want to start it, feel free, otherwise I'll catch it back up on Tuesday.

Woo-hoo!!

I'm still sleepy -- haven't gotten 7 hours of sleep yet this week, but hey, it's Friday!  RD for me -- I sleep in a little on Fridays to try to catch up, and it's supposed to be cold and rainy this evening, so I didn't want to bike.  Tomorrow I have to raise and bake the bread I'm going to put together tonight, as a test run for a new bread proofer I bought because my bread never seems to want to rise.  Then I have to clean house, and then I have an extra chorus rehearsal at a dance studio.  Then Sunday we're actually heading over to our friends' early to watch a movie, then the game, then home again to fall into bed around 1AM.  Monday I don't have much planned besides laundry and Netflix.

Woo-hoo!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have not slept much all week either! Enjoy the weekend and the SB party!

I ran 7. Vet added morphine to Rubio's treatment so hoping he can sleep tonight. He was crying a bit last night from pain. He is eating better today.

Damaris