Beginners and Beyond

Penguins SaturDAILY Take #42 (Read 23 times)

hog4life

Ginny, where you at, PA? Your question from yesterday, Liz Hurley is a local news anchor lady that survived breast cancer. She started a foundation with one if the hospitals, and she raises an amazing amount of money to buy equipment and such for the breast cancer center.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

obiebyke - Sounds like a plan.  Our rain is moving out, and I'm healthy.  So, I don't get to do that.

Jerry - No doubt.

Mitch - Great time.  I don't know where my 5K time is now, but I went under 24 for the first time in my last 5K.  I've started going to the front in smaller 5K's for the reason you mentioned.  Sometimes in the smaller 5K's there really aren't that many REALLY fast runners.  The really fast runners will get out in front of me quickly, and then I end up surrounded by people that will fall off by mile 2.  I might feel like I should line up further back, but I know I'm more likely to run people over if I do.  I've come to grips with the fact that I'm not very maneuverable, and I don't brake well.  I'm still a big dude with a high center of gravity.  I can't afford to have people pull up in front of me.  It doesn't end well.

Ginny - Nothing wrong with a dog walk day!  My dog would love that today, but he's going to have to wait until tomorrow.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Docket: OUCH!!!!! I hope that isn't as bad as it sounds!

Hog: Nice 5k! I know what you mean about training for a specific distance. I have a 10k next week and it feels like forever since I have done any speed work because of the marathon training.

Traci: Now that you are an iPhone expert will you be posting a "selfie" with you and your beer(s)? Wink

Bin: Be patient with the jaundice, it will go away.

PAD: Good luck.

Awood: Have a nice tempo run. It's getting closer!

obie: Enjoy the rain and quiet time.

As for me, I just finished 5 miles at a 9:00 pace. I have a big 20 miler tomorrow morning. Today my band has not one but TWO gigs. From 1-3 we are playing at a car show and they are expecting about 2,500 people and then from 8-11 we have our regular local thing at the bar. DW and older DD are going dress shopping for homecoming. Dang it, I have to miss out on that one! Wink

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.5 for me and DW.  Last mile was 9:40.  Cold sure speeds us up.  Very few bikers today, but they all shout out when passing.  Not so on summer days when the fair weather bikers are out.

PADRunner

Well it didn't get warmer it got colder! 43 with a 15m wind. We stood at the starting lone for 10 min due to technical problems. Needless to say things didn't go as planned. I went out way to fast, 8:24 first mile, probably because I was numb and couldn't feel my feet. Smile I think that's the fastest , I've I've ever run. Almost gave up and DNF'd but made it through . Unofficial 33:25 or so. Might have placed but they went with 10yr age groupings. My BIL took first in 50-59 with 25:50 something.

Live & learn...

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh no Damaris.....how are you feeling?!?!

So I kept my doctor's appointment this morning even though it was kind of unnecessary since my doctor called in my omeprezol prescription on Thursday. He has no reason to think this is anything but another recurrence of gastritis (my 4th or 5th in about 5 years), and considering I took lots of cold medication when I had a cold 2 weeks ago, and then antibiotics, and my stomach lining has a history of being very sensitive to medications, he felt no need to have any further tests done. I decided not to make it a total waste of an appointment and got my first flu shot ever though. So that's good....I guess?? The most interesting thing, however, is that I went to douchebag doctor that hates runners and was SUPER rude to me when I went to him with ITBS in January and basically told me it was my fault, to never run again, and slammed the door in my face. I had meant to find a new Primary Care Physician, but hadn't yet and since this was not running related and this doctor knows my history of gastritis and that the omeprezol has had success it just seemed easier to go to him. Well.....I went in my running attire, partially because the doctor's office is literally right next to one of my favorite parks to run in and I wanted to go for a run after since I was already there, and partially because I wanted him to know I was still running. I wore my Baltimore Half race shirt, Garmin, Road ID, and he couldn't miss the shirt because it is NEON GREEN. Guess what?? HE WAS SUPER NICE TO ME TODAY!!! Like oddly nice. So weird right....maybe he realized it was me who gave him a terrible review online??

Anyhoo.....went for a lovely lovely 4 mile run in the park after my appointment. It felt GREAT! Managed a 11:30 average (decently fast for an easy run for me) and my legs felt so good! Nice to run again (haven't run since my recovery jog Monday due to the stomach issues). Fall foliage was starting, it was a lovely mid 50s temperature, just an overall enjoyable run!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Oh...Oh. !!!!  I forgot Sweetest Day.   Did You ????  Black eye

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I'm getting ready to play at the car show and I saw a great car for Jerry and Awood.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Awww, thanks, guys.  Knowing that made me feel better since I felt like a puss for DNFing a race I've been training for months!

It is my second burst, so the pain goes away.  Last one was a few years ago so I really didn't remember how it felt and concentrated on the psoas and ITB which were probably results of that.  Nothing to do but bear it.

I decided not to run today.  I feel fine but it's still mid 90s and mid 70s dewpoint out there and I seriously do not want to deal with it now. Plus one more day will not hurt.  I ran a lot during the beginning of the week so I am still making my weekly goal.  Tomorrow, the LR will show whether I'm ready or not.

Thanks for the support.

PADRunner, congrats on the race!  Hope you reported it on the race thread. Joking

Damaris

Bin Running

Damaris, get well soon. You are one tough coOkie.

4am where I am. Getting for my race at 5:30. Wanted to arrive early to get a good parking slot. Can't sleep anyway.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good luck, Bin!

Damaris

Sloooow.

Sorry about the cyst Docket. My partners step-daughter used to get those, sound so painful Sad

Good luck with your race, Bin!

Quick check in, 2.1 miles done and didn't feel too bad. Aim is for 3 outdoors tomorrow morning.

GinnyinPA

Enjoy your race Bin.

PADRunner - I did that at a 5 mile race last spring. It was cold and the course started out downhill so I pushed way too fast the first mile.  By the time we started the big hills, I was done.  As you say, lesson learned.

Mitch - I'm in Chambersburg, PA - about 20 miles from Gettysburg.

Jack - enjoy your gigs.  It sounds like fun.  I hope your 20 tomorrow isn't affected by too much activity today.

Jerry - we've learned to avoid bike paths on the weekend, especially if the weather is fair.  We usually avoid the AT as well.  Since our dog gets really excited when he meets people moving fast, we try to avoid any place we'll run into many bikes or runners.  Too many people don't know enough to slow down or stop when there's an unknown dog on the trail.

Awood - you're fast enough that lining up in front is reasonable, except at really big races where you're likely to run into a lot of other fast runners.  My first 5k I was on both sides of the issue.  I was ignorant, so I didn't know about lining up in the back because I was slow. I was near the front but off to the side.  A lot of runners passed me that first 1/4 mile.  OTOH, there were other people who were as ignorant as I, and I almost ran over someone who was on a 2 minute walk run schedule when she stopped suddenly only 2 minutes into the race.

Kristin - I'm glad the medicine is doing its job, and that your MD has decided to be nicer.  Maybe he was having a really bad day?

Damaris - it's hard for me to even imagine 90 today.  I'm wearing fleece, inside the house.  Outdoors it's cold and drizzling.  I hope your pain is gone soon.  How are the other problems doing?  The psoas and ITB?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Psoas is still tight for obvious reasons.  ITB is almost gone and it's also related to how swollen is the other stuff.  They will both go away when the pain goes away.  The pain is gone but the whole right side (hip, psoas, etc.) is still a bit sore.

Damaris