Beginners and Beyond

Racing In Distress: My first attempt at a sub-19:00 5k (Read 130 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This is something a lot of people don't understand.  Running at 9mm in 90F is not the same as running 9mm in 60F.  Attempting 9mm in 90F is actually attempting to run faster than 9mm in normal weather.  YMMV.

You don't think heat can have a drastic effect on racing? Look at what happened to the favorite, Bridget Franek, over the last couple laps in the women's 3000m SC today at Nationals. Given the heat and the wind that time should be quite acceptable.

Damaris

LRB

This is something a lot of people don't understand. 

I get it, I'm just bull headed as my mother used to say.  ; )

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thank you!  I know I scored really well on reading comprehension..lol  I think people get tired of me quoting ONLY Jack Daniels, but until I have mastered that one book I don't see the need to move on to another.

Don't feel bad.  I had to read it twice to fully understand all of the concepts there.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Don't I know it....

I get it, I'm just bull headed as my mother used to say.  ; )

Damaris

hog4life

Nice! You still da man.

happylily

I'm only in awe of your speed, LRB. That's all I can offer you. No advice, just total respect and awe.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I'm only in awe of your speed, LRB. That's all I can offer you. No advice, just total respect and awe.

There is no telling what you would run if you gave the 5k an honest chance!

Awood I hear you on quoting Daniels.  I tried to leave his name out once in a thread but was eventually asked to name him.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

50 seconds is a crapton of time at this point.  Ain't happening.  Welcome to incremental improvement my friend.  It comes as a shock to us all when it inevitably happens.  From your splits alone, I would venture to say that the heat impacted you.  I don't see enough of a slow down that I think your endurance was a weakness although that may have played a minor role.  Beyond that, some days it all clicks and some days it doesn't.  And you will never drop 50 seconds again unless you wait a long, long time to race again.

Yeah, it sounds like the race went really well with excellent pacing, all things considered--really, pretty even splits and a great overall time.  I totally understand that hunger for huge time drops.  For me it took MONTHS to work down from 19:58 to... 19:47... to 19:45 (argh--hilly course, though) to 19:25.

That aid-station story is very funny.

I definitely wouldn't call it a miserable failure, anyhow.  Seriously, you've improved a lot very quickly.  Think of this race as another step in the right direction and an excellent workout, to boot.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

LRB, don't be down on yourself. For me, it's all part of the learning process. Man, you are damn fast, and the aid station!! If anything, you can use it as a motivator for next time. I hope to get your times, someday.

Hip Redux

I don't have any real advice to add, except to say that you are one speedy dude!

TakeAHike

That is a nice race LRB.  You have gotten very fast at this distance.  Once upon a time I could hang with you in a 5K.  Not so much anymore.  I'll be interested to see if you can run sub-19 this year.  I bet you can if you get the right conditions.  Keep working at it.  I look forward to reading about your next race.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20