Beginners and Beyond

Galloway plans (Read 86 times)

bluerun

Super B****

I actually liked the idea of the FIRST method... I was going to use it.  But then I got an AlterG instead.  So I can't really say whether the FIRST method is effective. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

slowrunningjulie

The reason that most plans don't go up to 26.2 in training is that conventional wisdom holds that for those longer distances, the risk of injury does not justify the training benefit you get. For Galloway, that logic doesn't quite apply because your risk of injury is lower due to the walk breaks. Therefore, you can go longer, even on fewer miles midweek.

For me personally, I do like to incorporate walk breaks into my long runs, but I don't do Galloway. I use a modified Higdon Novice II plan and then do 5:1 walk run intervals during my long runs. It works well for me.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Galloway designs his plans to minimize the risk of injury, hence the frequent walk breaks, and maximize the likelihood of finishing the marathon. It's this second aspect of his design focus that explains the 26 mile training runs. Consider all the questions we get here about how can one run a marathon if the farthest one has gone in training is 20 miles. By incorporating 26 mile training runs into his plans, he addresses that issue and builds confidence that finishing the marathon is not only possible, but probable. BTW he claims that his programs have the lowest injury rate and highest success rate.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mmmmm...beer

I can't comment on the run/walk method, but as far as the 26 mile training run and the mental barrier, I think that can be true for some people.  I think that for me, doing my solo marathon helped me, because I knew that no matter what, I could finish the distance (reinforcing that with the trail 50k helped too, knowing that if I could run for almost 5 hours on the trail, I could certainly run a lil harder for a couple hours less on the road).  Granted, my solo marathon wasn't during marathon training, in fact, it convinced me to wait a while before I ran my first official marathon.  The 50k was a double edged sword, I think it helped my confidence, but hurt my training.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I agree with the rest. Meaghan has it on the money as far as I know.

I regularly train and run races with tired legs as directed by my coach, the notion is that everything is done with a bit of fatigue and the full distance is never required.

Running the Galloway method, leaves your legs pretty recovered each and every run with the exception of the super long run. That is really a mental struggle of 'can I do it'.  Once you have done it, the second time is easier and so on. Until there is not a question of 'if'.

Also to note the run/ walk method will garner you some PRs provided you are running slower in the first place.  For me, I can not possibly string together 5 min miles + walk and be anywhere near a full on race pace / finish time. (first of all, I can't string together multiple 5 min miles all Marathon long that would be required to make up for my walk.)

slowrunningjulie

Also to note the run/ walk method will garner you some PRs provided you are running slower in the first place.  For me, I can not possibly string together 5 min miles + walk and be anywhere near a full on race pace / finish time. (first of all, I can't string together multiple 5 min miles all Marathon long that would be required to make up for my walk.)

For a 5 min. mile, you are probably right. But I think that even people towards the mid-to-front of the pack can benefit from it. I personally know two women in a group that I run with who BQ'ed using 4:1 intervals.

My $.02 regarding pace is that the people who can benefit most from run/walk intervals are not necessarily the slower people, but people who run positive splits. One thing that I noticed immediately when I  started doing run/walk during my long runs is that I maintained a much more consistent pace throughout the run. I fully admit to being one of those people who run out of gas in the later miles and can rack up some big positive splits. Run/walk helped with that a lot, which made my overall pace faster.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

LRB

I did not do the run/walk method but it's funny how your perspective changes as you gain experience on the things you did do.

I am a completely different runner now then I was back then but I never lose sight of where I came from running-wise, which was basically the bottom rung.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I personally know two women in a group that I run with who BQ'ed using 4:1 intervals.

Whether the time is a BQ is basically irrelevant. There's a huge difference between being an open male and needing a 3:05 to BQ and being a 50 year old female and needing a 4:00 to BQ. Galloway might work fine for that 4:00 BQ but be a tough way to get that 3:05.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Love the Half

It's popular in the same way that diet pills are popular.  They promise that you can get amazing results without actually having to do anything that might be the least bit difficult.  Plus, they sell the popular notion that moving your carcass 26.2 miles in under 7 hours is a major achievement.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

I have never, ever seen anyone moving at the paces I run doing a run/walk at any distance short of an ultra with the exception that I have seen some fast folks walk through aid stations.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I get passed all the time by people

soing run/walk during marathOns. I guess that for 10mm or slower it works.

Damaris

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

I have never, ever seen anyone moving at the paces I run doing a run/walk at any distance short of an ultra with the exception that I have seen some fast folks walk through aid stations.

Cool story. Nobody ever claimed it's the ticket to reaching your maximum speed potential. Not every program has to be geared toward running 70+ MPW and trying to win your AG.

I know the thought of running a race and not being in agonizing pain during and after makes you die a little inside, but some of us mere mortals have to balance results with training constraints and injury prevention.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Galloway designs his plans to minimize the risk of injury, hence the frequent walk breaks, and maximize the likelihood of finishing the marathon. It's this second aspect of his design focus that explains the 26 mile training runs. Consider all the questions we get here about how can one run a marathon if the farthest one has gone in training is 20 miles. By incorporating 26 mile training runs into his plans, he addresses that issue and builds confidence that finishing the marathon is not only possible, but probable. BTW he claims that his programs have the lowest injury rate and highest success rate.

I guess it depends on how one defines success.

You people have issues 

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Yup,

I've never failed at Completion...

Age has really helped in the endurance category...

Hip Redux

It really does.

Like StartingOver42 said, not everyone is after AG wins, etc.  I know that leads us to a "people aren't racing races" debate, but thankfully, there's enough room for everyone to do their thing at races and be happy.