Beginners and Beyond

Endless Summer 6-hr Race Report (Read 117 times)

Trail Monster

You learned a great lesson. If it hurts, bothers you, or otherwise interferes with your ability to complete your task then do something to fix it or ask for help. At NC24 you'll find that you'll want for nothing and everything is well organized. Volunteers were even making Starbucks runs for people. And I'm thinking about coming out to volunteer so I will hopefully be able to help everyone out, you included.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

happylily

I just checked and it's the same place. My client ran it in 2010. He finished in 3:45 and was all excited about it because his usual marathon finish times are anywhere between 4:15 and 4:45 (he's 38, or was at the time). This was a big PR for him. He even came to my house with a printout of the results to prove that he wasn't lying. haha... Hopefully, you will be as satisfied with your result as he was!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You learned a great lesson. If it hurts, bothers you, or otherwise interferes with your ability to complete your task then do something to fix it or ask for help. At NC24 you'll find that you'll want for nothing and everything is well organized. Volunteers were even making Starbucks runs for people. And I'm thinking about coming out to volunteer so I will hopefully be able to help everyone out, you included.

I hope you do come. It would be great to meet you. We have a big group already committed to run or crew and you'd be a welcome addition. The organization and support last year was phenomenal, especially considering the adverse weather conditions.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Sounds like you made the best moves even if they weren't in the plan.  Those low key starts are pretty funny...at least they had an air horn Smile.  Are you doing 12 or 24 at NC24?  Hope you had a good time even if the running part of the day didn't pan out.  Best of luck in your training!

**Ask me about streaking**

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm really sorry this race didn't go quite as planned, George, but despite some set backs and mistakes, I think you learned a lot of valuable things that will be important come your 12 hour.  So really, try to think of it as a success, plus you got a decent long run in!  I'm really enjoying reading about road to the world of ultras.

I got to meet Diana earlier this summer, and she's a sweetheart!  Happy you got to have a brief FE!  Smile

Running is dumb.

Don't call me Buttercup!

Kristin, don't feel bad - I told him I thought the park was mostly flat, too!  Maybe the put the hills in after I moved out of Annapolis.  LOL

I still think you did great, George, even though it didn't go as you wanted.  It was hot!  Blech.

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Anonymous Guest

I think I may have contributed to your impression that it was pretty flat as well over in the ultra forum - sorry about that, those two big hills took me by surprise! I remembered it as relatively flat from a 5K I did there a year or so ago, which I don't think included those hills.

It was nice meeting you, albeit briefly. I wanted to catch up with you after the race, but I finished about a mile and a half from the pavilion, and when I got back there I was feeling pretty baked. I kind of just sat there drinking Gatorade and staring into space for awhile, hoping my clothes would dry out before getting in my car to go home. I probably should have stopped when I finished my last full lap, instead of heading out for more with 25 minutes to go!

If it's any consolation, I ran the stupid hills the first two laps too, as did a lot of others, when I definitely should have been walking them. It's tempting to push a little in the morning when it's cooler. Sounds like you learned some good lessons and played it smart out there.

Oh, and if you're interested, here's my race report:

http://karenrunsfar.blogspot.com/2013/07/endless-summer-6-hour-run-annapolis-md.html

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Anonymous Guest

Oh, also, meant to add, if you haven't already, check out the Annapolis Striders facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/63768122353/. There are a bunch of pictures people posted, and some pretty good ones of you in there.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Nice RR, WC. Even though it didn't go as you would have liked, it was probably for the best that you stopped. Like you, I have a hard time with the heat. If it makes you feel any better, you are still a great inspiration and role model for me and probably many others. Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry your race did not go as planned.  Sounds like you made the best of it you could though.  I can't imagine running that long, not anymore!  Congrats to you and your perseverance!  Nice that you got to have  a mini-FE!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Karen, your RR certainly catches the flavor of the race, and thanks for alerting me to those pictures. They're some of the best race pictures I've ever seen of me running.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

First, that's a great pic of you & Di.  You both look like the picture of health in that pic for some reason.

Second, I hate heat.  Plain & simple!  I think it's still amazing you went almost 17 miles (I've never run that far in a single run) AT ALL so kudos!

Cooler weather will yield more favorable results, if you're anything like me at all for heat tolerance.

Can't wait to read your next one!  Cool

Randy

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was entertained by Karen's comment about the singer bearing the flag resemblance! (I was there, and I didn't think of that on my own.)

I enjoyed reading both of your race recaps. Congrats to both of you.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I laughed when you mentioned the low-key start to the race.  It seems like that's the order of the day at an ultra.  I'm sorry to hear the race didn't go as you would have hoped.  You had done some strong training going in, so I can see why your expectations were much higher.  At least you learned a few lessons from it, and the balance of it can probably just be explained by the weather and it not being your day.  Best of luck at the marathon in NY next month.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn