Beginners and Beyond

National Devil's Food Cake Day Monday Penguins (Read 24 times)

Dad on the run.

Mitch - were not going to be able to make it out for the Cotton Row. I haven't really felt like I'm ready for a 10k race and I don't feel like its worth driving that far just to "run"  it. Sorry were not going to make it. Hopefully we can meet up again soon, we do have that half coming up in October.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

obiebyke - That's super exciting.  I'll actually have to pop in on a weekend, just to see how it went!

Stonefence - If you push the mower fast, I think you can track the miles and call it part of your workout.  I've never done it, but I've considered it.

Scotty - It sounds like you've earned a rest day.  I'm pretty sure you're kicking arthritis' butt.  I'm sure a lot of people would have resorted to the rocking chair already, but you're out there having fun and staying active.

Jerry - Enjoy the miles.  It's good to see that you're coming back to the healthy side of things.

N-Bug - Hey.  You got it done.  Keep it up man!

Zel - Back to the dentist?  Make sure you tell him that he's never getting my wisdom teeth.  Over two decades those guys have been after my wisdom teeth.  That's why I don't let them sedate me.  You're not getting my wisdom!!!

obiebyke (again) - Sounds like you've got a plan!  I like plans.  Although, I've struggled lately with temptation to deviate, but I've been pretty good.  Okay, now I'm just thinking out loud.

HsM - I still haven't gotten around to trying yoga, but I'm glad it's helping.  Keep at it if it's helping.  It's good to see healthy penguins in the igloo, and on the roads and tracks.

Jack - I'm with you.  Right now, I'm really looking forward to marathon training again next year, but I'm so glad that I decided to race shorter this year.  Last year was many weeks of exciting marathon training followed by a month of dreaded training followed by a week of nerves, and finally an amazing marathon.  My wife was the one that first suggested I put some distance between races, but she didn't have to twist my arm.  It's rewarding.  I absolutely loved it.  It takes a toll though.  I just really hope I can make my 5k goals this year before I return to marathon training next year.

AFM - A major conference and some hectic work weeks have sabotaged my weight goals for this month.  I'm just going to do the best I can on that.  I wanted to be down to 220 before my next race.  That's highly unlikely now.  There is a race this weekend that goes right through my neighborhood.  I'd love to run the 15K or 10K, but my biggest goal race of the year is a 5k.  So, I'm going to run the 5K.  I want to play with some different pacing strategies, and now's the time to experiment.  Last week, I put up a pretty solid 42 mile week with some great quality workouts.  I also caught my pace bunny after missing a couple of runs while at the conference.  A couple of times I had to dial it back during a speed workout, because I was going too fast.  I actually saw a 6:45 pace late in an interval workout, and about lost my darn mind.  Getting my weight down will help, but my fitness level is increasing and I'm hoping to get back in the 23's this week.  I have another 5K lined up in June.  That's when I want to drop into the 22's.  Shedding a few pounds will definitely help.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Obie - congrats on finishing c25k :-)

SF - good luck with the yardwork.  I'm sort of jealous and can't wait to have a yard.

scotty - nice job on the long run

Jerry - good luck with the miles

N-bug - thanks :-)

Zel - on rare occasions I take good photos, the rest of the time I look like a goofball since it is hard to catch me being serious :-)

HsM - good luck with day 1!

sapf: Are you old enough to be married? You and your husband look like you are sophomores in high school. I'm feeling old...

Haha Jack - I'm 28 - turning 29 soon.  My husband and I just both look very young :-)  He had to buy a tux for work a year or two ago and the sales man asked if we were shopping for prom...

Anyway, another rest day for me today.  Will start building up mileage tomorrow.  I'm thinking about signing up for a HM in Maine in early July and going for time then (since there will be no wedding the next day to sabotage my efforts - maybe I can even drag my husband into running it with me)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Robert31320

Team TJ

Rest day for me.

Running for TJ because he can't.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Haha Jack - I'm 28 - turning 29 soon.  Well, darn, sapf,  you're still too young...see, if you were 30 then you would be the perfect age for me to be your Sugar Daddy, since I'm 60 and would be exactly 30 years older than you.      Reminds me of this married couple joke...they were both 65 years old and had been married for 40 years.  The Good Fairy came along and told them they each could have a wish since they had been such a loving couple for so many years.  The wife wished for a romantic cruise with her husband to celebrate all their years and POOF, she soon had the all-expenses paid tickets in her hand.  The husband said "Well, I wouldn't mind if my wife was 30 years younger than me."  And POOF - the fairy turned him into a 95-year old....

Awood, good luck with your weight loss goals and your racing plans.  Weight loss ups-and-downs, I know how that goes.  I do really well for a while and then massacre my plans because I just like fast-food too much, which is not a good thing.  I really have to get more disciplined and eat healthier.  Especially at my age, lol, I can't burn the ole calories up as fast as I used to be able to.

Enjoy your rest day, Robert.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ruined a perfect  67F, 40DP day with a very sluggish run.  At least it was under 11:00 but felt crappy from start to finish.  Maybe I'll hit the gym tomorrow.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Have fun with your 3 or 4 today, Jerry!

Vance, I understand convenience for the treadmill...but self-consciousness?  Forget that, buddy!  Who cares what people think?  If I can be out there looking like a really low-floating goodyear blimp  when I'm running then you can certainly be out there too! 

Zelanie, hope your dentist appointment went well and your miles went well too!   I got my latest MRI and body-scan results of my spine, hips, etc (arthritis and degenerative disc disease at 5 levels and about a 5% increase in that since my MRI last year, 2% increase in hip degeneration) and my doc told me she was surprised I could even walk, let alone run at all, lol.  So I guess I'm doing okay, all things considered.

HsM, I admire you and folks who can do that minimal shoe and barefoot running thing. I just cannot do it, I just feel more comfortable and do better in a more supportive shoe.  Of course, that may have something to do with my body 'degenerating' little by little, lol, I need all the impact padding I can get!   Good luck with the program, hope it goes well for you!

Yay for cooler temps for you, Jack!  Hope all those fires all over your state are getting controlled too...that has got to be tough for everyone - especially the victims, of course, who lose so much - and all that smoke blowing all over your state.

lol, obie, your finish goal sounds like mine.   My running friends think it's funny when they ask me what my goal is and I say "Long as I finish by sunset I will be happy."

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Ruined a perfect  67F, 40DP day with a very sluggish run.  At least it was under 11:00 but felt crappy from start to finish.  Maybe I'll hit the gym tomorrow.

Oh, sorry about your sluggish run, Jerry.   Some days are like that.  Shake it off, it will get better.

Well, I THOUGHT today was a rest day but Gail called and wants to go do our weigh training circuit after work.  So I guess that is what I will be doing cuz gotta keep mama happy.     I got her into the weight training a couple of weeks ago...and now I've created a monster!     Glad she is getting into it, though.  Between this and her yoga, which she really loves - she is really toning up!  And I get to reap the benefits of course, right? 

on my way to badass

Mowing=riding around for 1.5-2 hours on a garden tractor. We have a huge yard. I am no good influence on anyone. My house is a bombing site. I managed to get the sheets washed, dried and the beds made back up. I'm still avoiding serious cleaning.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Philliefan33

I don't know if anyone will come back this late, but hello anyway.

I didn't feel like running today, so I took a bike ride and did yoga.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I don't know if anyone will come back this late, but hello anyway.

I didn't feel like running today, so I took a bike ride and did yoga.

Hi Margo !!!