Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies x22 (Read 27 times)

KCRuns

Big congrats to Cy and Lauren for your awesome PRs yesterday and great comeback race Dave!

I ran 5 this morning with 3x 800/200 plus 3x 200/200. 800s paces were 9:11, 9:08, 9:01. 200s paces were 7:55, 8:32, 8:10. I had to slow down in the 2nd and 3rd 200 to navigate around angry hissing geese in the middle of the path   Overall, this was a great workout and I felt good during all the intervals.

Now I need to figure out my goals for Saturday’s 5k. Previous PR is 29:58 (9:40) 2 years ago, but I ran a 3.5 mile race in May at 9:33 pace. And I have another training cycle done since then. What to do?

DavePNW

So I'm on a shoe-buying hangover this morning. One race back, and 8 hours later I order 2 pairs of race shoes. But it was such a deal, I couldn't resist. I realize this is nothing for some of you.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

KC, I'd think sub 28 is very realistic. Do you tend to do better at shorter distances or longer?

Cyberic

Now I need to figure out my goals for Saturday’s 5k. Previous PR is 29:58 (9:40) 2 years ago, but I ran a 3.5 mile race in May at 9:33 pace. And I have another training cycle done since then. What to do?

That is hard for me. Some people are good at suggesting paces for others, but me? Not so much. The way I see it a sub 29 looks like a good objective. I'm basing my estimate more on your race times than workout paces. From your race times, I would think a 29:15 might be reasonable, but your 800s paces seem to indicate that you can go faster than that. But feel free to ignore. I'm just guessing here.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Big congrats to Cy and Lauren for your awesome PRs yesterday and great comeback race Dave!

I ran 5 this morning with 3x 800/200 plus 3x 200/200. 800s paces were 9:11, 9:08, 9:01. 200s paces were 7:55, 8:32, 8:10. I had to slow down in the 2nd and 3rd 200 to navigate around angry hissing geese in the middle of the path   Overall, this was a great workout and I felt good during all the intervals.

Faster than 9:33, for sure.  I would say 9:20mm which is close to sub-29.

Damaris

DavePNW

I would say 9:20mm which is close to sub-29.

I was just about to write this. And it's actually about what McMillan predicts based on your 2:14 HM time. I generally run shorter distances faster than McMillan predicts based on longer distance times, so you might do better, but some people go the other way.

Dave

RunningOnSand

So I'm on a shoe-buying hangover this morning. One race back, and 8 hours later I order 2 pairs of race shoes. But it was such a deal, I couldn't resist. I realize this is nothing for some of you.

Embrace it. Maybe you should buy something else, too, "just because."

RunningOnSand

Faster than 9:33, for sure.  I would say 9:20mm which is close to sub-29.

Yes, this.

Runshortii

I think 9:20 sounds about right based on your 800s. Good luck! I want to race a 5K soon-ish if my legs ever don’t feel like bricks

i ran 5.

Half Crazy K 2.0

8 on the treadmill.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It was feels like 84F and 70 dewpoint, so I thought it would feel great compared to the 90F and 73dewpoint.  Eh, no.  My chest is congested but I hope I'm not getting sick.  I just hope it was that and not that I suck.  Oh, well.  10K done.

Damaris

KCRuns

Those are great suggestions! I’ll start at 9:20 and see how it feels, hopefully I can pick it up a little in the 2nd half.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Those are great suggestions! I’ll start at 9:20 and see how it feels, hopefully I can pick it up a little in the 2nd half.

Famous last words for a 5K (picking things up a little at the end). Smile

Damaris

DavePNW

Famous last words for a 5K (picking things up a little at the end). Smile

Yeah it's usually more like not have a heart attack at the end.

Dave

From the Internet.

I agree with the masses. Sounds like a good plan!

Jogged 3 miles and my legs didn't fall off. I'll live to run another day!