Beginners and Beyond

I get so excited just registering for a race (noob alert) (Read 114 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Right now I'm only signed up for one race, and it's in November.  Of course that's exciting because it's my first full marathon, but I've got my eye on a couple of races along the way, and the Brewers Mini is pretty exciting.  It's 6 weeks before my marathon, and it will be my 3rd half and my wife's first half.  How could you not be excited about that.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

RSX

Somewhat lower on the excitement scale : booking a motel room.

I'm a CSOB and hate the idea of paying money just to sleep somewhere, when all that $$$ could go towards something worthwhile like food & booze.  Last year before the Leadville HM I camped in a gorgeous secluded spot up on the slopes of Mt. Massive.  Slept like a rock.  I was planning to do the same this year, but the forecast for Friday night is 20% chance of thunderstorms.  That could really make for a sucky race day.  So instead of a lush bed of kinnikinnick beside a rushing stream, I decided to stay at a Super-8 beside the Interstate.

I met a woman at a New Brunswick race who slept in her car in the parking lot where the 10k started. She didn't want to do the hour drive the next morning.

kettledrum

I Just signed up a few minutes ago for a 5k that is this Saturday.  It's the only race I'm registered for, and it will be my first 5k race in 9 months.  I am definitely excited.

runwell3

I'm registered for 3, and contemplating a couple of others but struggling to regain heart, focus, and dedication since Boston.  Just don't seem to want to go to that hurting place that serious training calls for lately.  Lots of un-timed running/jogging these days.  Still plugging along tho, and looking ahead to these:

6/30:        Legends 4mi.

8/4:          Niantic Bay Triathlon

10/12:     Hartford Marathon  (one last try for a quality BQ for 2015)

B-Plus

Sept - 10k

Oct - marathon

I'm also planning to race a 10k in July, but I'll sign up closer to the event.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I registered for my October HM in December....who does that?! lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Little Blue

Yesterday I signed up for a November HM.  The price goes up 7/2.  I haven't been running much at all, some weird thing is going on with my insides that makes running a little uncomfortable.  I finally decided nuts to it, do it anyway and let the docs figure out the rest.  Uncomfortable won't kill me, and I haven't run a race since Oct '12 (well except one 5K).

Having that registration paid for, along with my training schedule in print, will hopefully keep me motivated through medical stuff and heat/humidity.  If money won't do it, nothing will. Roll eyes

cmb4314

Nothing right now.

I'm going to sign up for a September sprint tri as soon as the online registration opens, which should be soon.

I don't generally have more than one race on my plate, though.  Sometimes I will sign up on short notice for a tune up race when I'm in a long plan for a half or full marathon, but normally there is only one goal.  Once I finish one goal, I decide what I want to do next.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Birdwell

I'm signed up for one race (it's this weekend).

I'm not nearly as excited today as I was when I signed up.

I bet a lot of people feel that though, the nervousness as "The Race" approaches.

RabbitChaser

Surprisingly, I am not currently registered for any races. I plan on registering for a 50K in October and will run some other trail races between now and then, but I haven't registered for them yet. I need to look at my calendar and pick events that will fit in with my training for the 50K.

As far as the excitement, If it's a goal race or a new race, I get excited about registering. I don't get excited about registering for races that I do every year, but I still get excited to run them. Running races is mostly a social outing to me, but if it is a goal race, I wait until I finished the race to start the socializing.

Eric

Hip Redux

I'm signed up for one race (it's this weekend).

I'm not nearly as excited today as I was when I signed up.

I bet a lot of people feel that though, the nervousness as "The Race" approaches.

MBC and I call that the "It sounded good at the time" syndrome.

Dr. Cornsitter

My sister usually signs me up for the races we discuss and I just get told/emailed when she does. I don't get to savor the moment of actually registering, but when I know I am registered, I am nervous/excited from that moment on.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Gator eye

I love signing up for races months ahead of time, give me something to focus on while training instead of just pounding out miles.  I still do unscheduled races if they fit into my training but most times I stick to the plan.

Up for me this year

Aug 10th  Tahqua 25k trail run - this just fell in perfect for my training schedule

Sept 28th  Hungersford Games 50M trail run -  first go at this distance