Beginners and Beyond

Ryan Hall finishes 2nd at Bay to Breakers..... (Read 113 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Just cuz I've been dying to see him race again, I was glad to see him take a 2nd at this race which was a self admitted bucket list race for him.

B2B is a 12k and certainly not a marathon test for Ryan, but he will be running the Costa Rica marathon next weekend which WILL be a good test and a nice chance to see where he's at since the Olympic trials since we didn't get to see him finish the Olympic marathon, nor run Boston at all due to injuries.

Ryan finished B2B in 35:40 which is about a 4:47 pace so not too shabby.

Randy

happylily

Just cuz I've been dying to see him race again, I was glad to see him take a 2nd at this race which was a self admitted bucket list race for him.

B2B is a 12k and certainly not a marathon test for Ryan, but he will be running the Costa Rica marathon next weekend which WILL be a good test and a nice chance to see where he's at since the Olympic trials since we didn't get to see him finish the Olympic marathon, nor run Boston at all due to injuries.

Ryan finished B2B in 35:40 which is about a 4:47 pace so not too shabby.

Is 4:47 good? Isn't that like a marathon pace, or something? I know nothing about elites times... But is Ryan still as cute as he used to be? :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

NOT that I'm a cougar, or anything!!! Embarrassed

I was just asking out of curiousity.

Happylilly's motivation:  running on treadmill facing poster of Ryan Hall.  Big grin

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

happylily

Happylilly's motivation:  running on treadmill facing poster of Ryan Hall.  Big grin

LOL...

The boy is cute, but he needs to add a few pounds on him before I even think of putting his poster up on my wall. Big grin (And I'm way way past my posters days, anyway...)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I like how he posted in FB the day before, I'll be running the B2B.  I'll be the one wearing clothes, LOL.

Damaris

Love the Half

4:47 is a 2:05:24 marathon.  Given that this was a 12K, I'd bet the farm (a safe bet since I don't own one) that he was using B2B just to dial in his pace for the marathon.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

4:47 is a 2:05:24 marathon.  Given that this was a 12K, I'd bet the farm (a safe bet since I don't own one) that he was using B2B just to dial in his pace for the marathon.

Ah! Okay... that would make more sense...

Damaris... LOL...

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

He didn't quit?

LRB

He didn't quit?

He didn't quit last time, he simply...wait for it, listened to his body ha-ha!

I do not know enough about him to form an opinion either way.  I am a fan of Galen Rupp though.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

He didn't quit last time, he simply...wait for it, listened to his body ha-ha!

I do not know enough about him to form an opinion either way.  I am a fan of Galen Rupp though.

Me too. Rupp is a stud.

Hip Redux

I like how he posted in FB the day before, I'll be running the B2B.  I'll be the one wearing clothes, LOL.

I think they've asked people to stop showing up nude to the B2B. lol

Love the Half

He didn't quit?

One of the things I noted in a different thread was that elites are much more willing to drop out of a race that's going badly than are recreational runners.  I saw Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot standing at the side of the road at Mile 4 of the Boston Marathon.  I saw a leading female elite standing at the side of the road at Mile 6 of the Indianapolis Mini Marathon (a half marathon).  I have never seen a recreational runner standing at the side of the road that early in a race.  Whether or not recreational runners should adopt their "live to fight another day" strategy is debatable.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Sorry, I was out for a while.  Who would ever call you a cougar?  You are far, far too young for that kind of silly talk!!  Big grin

And, yes the 4:47 was per mile pace.

Winner of the race was at about 4:41 so probably wasn't a whole lot more speed on that course but Ryan did push a 4:46 pace back in 2011 when he ran Boston.  Plus you can watch videos of him running anything from high 4:20's to 4:40's on training runs up to 8 miles long.  But those videos are starting to age.

i think it's wise he gets back into racing.  He needs to light a fire under his butt to get that hunger going.

Randy

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

One of the things I noted in a different thread was that elites are much more willing to drop out of a race that's going badly than are recreational runners.  I saw Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot standing at the side of the road at Mile 4 of the Boston Marathon.  I saw a leading female elite standing at the side of the road at Mile 6 of the Indianapolis Mini Marathon (a half marathon).  I have never seen a recreational runner standing at the side of the road that early in a race.  Whether or not recreational runners should adopt their "live to fight another day" strategy is debatable.

I usually DNS. I figure why start something I can't finish.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!