Beginners and Beyond

Tremallose Thursday Penguins (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Pilates tonight.  RR posted.

Scotty, hiya!  Love your new avatar!

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Tremallose: gelatinous

Which is a bit what my legs felt like after my 3rd consecutive day of running, which is unusual for me, but this is my second week doing it, as I am experimenting with upping my running days for the week to 5 instead of 4.  By the end of my miles today my legs were shaking a bit like gelatin in a bowl.    After work yesterday I went and did 3 miles at Fort Sam Houston.   Temperature was 89 degrees with a 'feels like' temp of 92, but the humidity was pretty low - 42% - and there was a really nice wind blowing too that felt really good. I actually felt pretty good the whole way.   This morning Gail had to be at work very early so she got up at 4:45.   Since she woke me up I figured I might as well get my run/walk in.  So got some water in me, drove to the nearby YMCA and was out for my run/walk by 5:45.  Morning running here is quite different than PM running.  While the temp was lower - 73 degrees at 6 a.m. - the humidity and dew-point was MUCH higher than for PM running here:  80 percent humidity, dew-point of 68, gaaack!  Lots of moisture in the air, felt at times like I was running through a steam room.  Ended up with another 3 miles done and for my last 1/2 mile my back was telling me in no uncertain times that it did not like 3 days in a row running.   Well, I certainly don't want to push the 5 days if it's bothering me and stupidly injure something, so I may just go back to my usual 4-days a week running schedule, and just be happy for what I can do.  I don't get a whole lot of weekly mileage built up with 4-days a week running, but at least the 4-day schedule does not bother my back.  So be it.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning!  Pilates tonight.  RR posted.

Scotty, hiya!  Love your new avatar!

Yours is pretty nice too! Nice Great Legs shot!    Good luck with the pilates.  I probably should do that myself, one of my PTs told me I might find pilates very helpful for my arthritis.  I think Gail has a pilates DVD lying around somewhere.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yours is pretty nice too! Nice Great Legs shot!    Good luck with the pilates.  I probably should do that myself, one of my PTs told me I might find pilates very helpful for my arthritis.  I think Gail has a pilates DVD lying around somewhere.

Pilates DVDs are OK since it's floor pilates.  But the one I do is on a reformer, aka, a torture device.  I assume the doctor believes the reformer might be good for you as it lengthens and stretches the back.

Damaris

obiebyke

Morning, Scotty and Damaris! I have the day-after-the-day-after soreness from Bodypump. RD for me.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Zelanie

Good morning, pens!  I want trail mix.

Yesterday at the track went pretty well.  Today I have the AM kids' tack club, then the PM social run.  Got my cushy shoes on!

obie- Congrats on getting to 1,000 miles here!

Scotty- Are you still working on that lifetime mileage goal?

D- Hope the lungs are enjoying the rest.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!! My knee did NOT like quartet practice last night, it was much fussier than after either of my run days this week. Quartet rehearsal (and chorus also) involves two hours of standing mostly in one place, and although my knees are always loose, there's a fair bit of shifting your weight around, but not necessarily moving your feet. So I guess my knees do more stabilizing than normally, maybe that's why they're fussy. Anyway, yoga today and chorus rehearsal tonight, so I'll probably screw myself up even further! I'm pondering taking the day off tomorrow, so as to get a 4-day weekend.

Docket -- enjoy your pilates!!

scotty -- good job listening to what will work for your body!!

obie -- have a good RD!! I've been putting arnica on my sore calves, really helps a lot!!

Zelanie -- enjoy the runs in the cushy shoes!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good morning, pens!  I want trail mix.

Yesterday at the track went pretty well.  Today I have the AM kids' tack club, then the PM social run.  Got my cushy shoes on!

obie- Congrats on getting to 1,000 miles here!

Scotty- Are you still working on that lifetime mileage goal?

D- Hope the lungs are enjoying the rest.

I hit it near the end of February...went over 45,000 lifetime miles.  And on April 15 of this year I celebrated 31 years of running.  Having started my running life on Tax Day in 1983, it's an easy day to remember.

Zelanie

Nice!  On to 50,000!

PADRunner

After a hard gym workout yesterday. I opted to chase the bunny today with 4.5 easy rather than intervals, giving me 300.1 for the year and 599.9 to go.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

SRD for me after a six mile run and DD track banquet last night. Today I am carb load shopping for DW and me, going to get DD from swim practice, and tonight I plan on giving my DVR a workout. DW has her parent volunteer dinner that she does every year so I am going to catch up on the few shows that I watch. The kids can fend for themselves. Wink

Have a good day. It's almost Friday...

GinnyinPA

Scotty - if you want to do 5 days, you might try doing two days run, one day off, two days run, one day off, etc. It would mean a rotating schedule, with each week different.  Two weeks out of three would be 5 days, and one would be four.  Only problem is with your races, which may not fit into the two days on part.

Damaris - enjoy your torture tonight.

Z - have fun with the social run.  How are the kids doing with their runs?

Obie - enjoy your rest.  Maybe do a walk to loosen up the muscles?

HM - sorry about the sore knees.  My dad had to give up singing with his group because it was too hard to stand for so long (he has a back injury dating back to WWII).  I hope chorus goes better for you.

Jack - enjoy the rest.  Is your wife feeling nervous about her first marathon?  Have fun with your movies and carb loading.

PAD - good job on the 4.5.  That bunny is fast, hard to catch sometimes.

AFM - I intend to do a few miles later, but no idea when or where.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: Yes, she is getting a bit nervous. Today she actually got up extra early to run four miles. She NEVER does that on a work day. Smile I like any shopping, really, if I can go at my pace, but carb load shopping is extra fun.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice!  On to 50,000!

Yeah, with my mileage the way it is now, that would take quite a while, lol!  I average about 60 miles a month these days....so it would take me a little over 6 years to get another 5,000 miles done!  Which might not be a bad goal...get 50,000 when I turn 66 years old.