Beginners and Beyond

It's Tuesday, Penguins (Read 30 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks!

Mornin, amigos.  Debating whether to go out and do 3 today, take a RD, or maybe (gasp!) strength train a little.  Hoping I can join a running group for my next half....they're currently training for the Eugene Marathon on Sunday....so tired of running alone. Seem to have recovered fine from doing 9+ on Sunday.

Hope's Mom: No crash and burn = win!

Damaris: Read that in your RR.  Sunburns will pass, of course. Grats on finishing that race.

Zel: Sorry to hear about your knee....keep babying it.

Mitch: NOBO?

Jerry: SRD sounds good.

Kristi: Grats on the HM time!  Lots of us doing our firsts the last couple weeks!  And 2:09 is an awesome time.

Awood: Shower replacement?  Ick.  Don't like playing with plumbing.

Bin: It goes in cycles, I guess.  The speed will return.

Margo: Have fun with DD! Where's she going to school?

Vance: Have fun at track meet!  Have one of those to be in charge of on Thursday.

Hope today finds everyone healthy and in good spirits.  Off to edumacate the youth of the Willamette Valley for another day.

~Jeff~

Damaris

Bin Running

Jack, praying weather god for an overcast and we need photo proof! Haa. You are going to do good even w/o head band.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Went to Fort Sam Houston this morning and did 3.3 miles.  Sweet weather, 68 degrees, low humidity/dewpoint.  Supposed to get some thunderstorms after work, which is why I did a morning run today.   Plenty of company on my run, lots of military folks out there doing their morning running too.  First run in my new Asics Nimbus 14s, the pair my wife calls my "clown shoes",   because they have so many colors on them, as you can see.....

They felt great!  The run/walk was great too - well, except for bumping into the tank - ran strong during my running segments and averaged about 10:50 per mile for my 3.3 miles.

Personals

Thanks for starting us off, Vance!  You are becoming quite the regular for starting the thread. I WISH I could quit taking mine, but will probably be on my celebrex for life because of me severe arthritis. However, I am at the lowest possible dose, which is something anyway.  I always have to remember, cannot take ANY other NSAID (aleve, ibuprofen, etc) with the celebrex or may do serious damage to my G.I. system.    If I do have a bad arthritis day, instead of increasing the celebrex dosage, per my doc, I can take some tylenol with the celebrex, as tylenol works differently than an NSAID does. Luckily, my celebrex seems to work pretty well.  Anyway, as you said, folks should work closely with their docs, and also read all the studies on anything they are taking;  Be knowledgeable;  know and evaluate both the benefits AND the risks to you.   Good luck to your DS at the track meet!

Good luck with the 6 miles tonite, Ultra Woman!

Happy reunion with your daughter, Margo!  Wow...you don't look old enough to me to have a daughter in college.  Joking

8:15 is losing speed, Bin?  I'm in big trouble then.... Wink  Congrats on  your miles!

Good luck with the house project, Awood?  And you are doing all this because....?  And can you come over and build me a new deck?  Joking

Dang, Kristi, you walk 6 miles at work?  What the heck do you do?  Treadmill tester?  Wink

Enjoy the reunion with your daughter too, Jerry, in a couple of weeks.  And if she shows up with a "souvenir" European fiancee on her return.... Wink

Good luck with your miles, Mitch!  What are the hours of  '2nd shift'?  Can you tell I'm not a shift worker?

Hope your bilingual trips are working out for you, Zelanie.  Oh wait....since this is a bilingual day for you..... Feliz viaje bilingüe!  Big grin  And hope the knee feels better!  Wait, I mean... Espero que la rodilla se siente mejor! Joking

Congrats on getting out there HsM!  Funny about you being the morning motivator, made me laugh because I am SO not a morning person but when Gail and I do stuff in the morning, I'm usually the one that has to get her up and going, lol.   Happy quartet tonite!

Hope you find a running group you enjoy, Jeff, good luck with that!  KarenM from the RW forums is on Oregon.  I think she lives near Portland.  She is really 'good people'...and has completed now (I think) around 30 marathons!  You should send her a message sometime, maybe you can meet her at a future run.  Tell her the ole Scottydog sent ya!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Scotty, you ran into a tank??

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Scotty damarized me twice! (here and in the dailies).  Sniff!

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

No he didn't!  He just changed your name to Ultra Woman!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

Scotty, 2nd shift is 2:00pm-10:00pm.

Jeff, NOBO is short for No Boundaries, it's very similar to the C25K program. My neighbors are the lead coaches and I am one of the mentors. I basically just run along with the beginners and offer encouragement and provide advice or answer questions.

I just finished 7.6 miles. Now I need to get ready for work. I put a couple pics in the race photos thread if you want to take a peak.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

No he didn't!  He just changed your name to Ultra Woman!!

Yeah, Damaris, what she said, lol.  You are now Ultra Woman!  You've been promoted from Wonder Woman.  Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Morning Penguins!

Margo, enjoy your time with your daughter!  Mine is 19, and she'll always be my baby girl also. ;-)

kristiRTT-- Walking is excellent for recovery.  Hope you're not too sore at work today!

I'm taking another day off (ugh!) and am feeling a bit frustrated, but I know it's the right thing to do.  I have a race next weekend, so I guess I should just consider it a taper.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Snickers1230

Morning!

Meeting a friend for a run tonight.  Not set plan.  It will probably end up being some sort of fartleks somewhere between 3 and 5 miles.  Lol.  Sometimes it's nice to not have a plan!

DH started couch to 5k last week so I've been doing a little running with him.  And he got his first pair of running shoes last night!  He was complaining about his knees hurting yesterday after his treadmill run on Sunday.  I told him to slow down his running portions (he is usually running them somewhere between 7-8 mph).  I told him he might be capable of running faster, but his legs and body aren't used to it so he should slow it down for a little to get his body acclimated.  We'll see if he listens to me...

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Singer who runs a smidge

Telling a man to "slow down" is usually an exercise in futility ...

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Damaris - If I did what you did this weekend, I wouldn't even be walking right now...lol

Phillie - I'm 36, and my Mom still calls me her baby.  She'll get used to it :-)

Bin - I don't think your training has slipped.  Has it?  My guess is that you're probably just a bit fatigued.  Remember that fatigue isn't just from running.  You had a big vacation.  You're probably working on getting caught up on some things.  I wouldn't worry.

Krisit - Rest is a good thing.  Good for you when it comes to listening to your body.  I struggle with that.

Jerry - A few slow miles after a long run is a good recovery run.  The hills on the other hand...okay, maybe you didn't need that.  Enjoy your rest day if that's the route you go.

Mitch - I think things will calm down after the wedding.  This bathroom project caught me a bit off guard.  The first full week of May, I have to be in Pittsburgh all week, and then go straight to Michigan that weekend.  The following weekend is the wedding.  This bathroom has been leaking into the hallway though.  Not good!

Zel - Enjoy the visits.  I'm sure that they will go well.

HsM - I'm a little disappointed that I won't be able to get my garden in when I wanted to.  It's going to have to wait until after the wedding.  I really enjoy my garden, but I'll just have to put in some more mature plants  :-)  I want the first tomatos in the neighborhood.

J. Drumm - Hopefully you can get in that running club.  I'm a bit of a loner when it comes to running, but I know that people who enjoy running with someone really seem to benefit from it.  I'm sure it's a great motivator.

Jack - That sounds like a fun workout.  I'd love to do a tempo run, but sadly I'm working on my base right now.  JD doesn't seem to like speed work during base building.  Booooo.....

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - Those shoes look awesome!

SheCan - My running took a big hit just before both of my last two races.  I can tell you that it certainly didn't hurt me.  I will say that the few miles I did get in during my week leading up to both races included some speed work.  Not sure if that helped or not, but then again...it didn't hurt.

Snickers - I agree.  Sometimes I just like to wing it.  It's refreshing.  Whatever feels right that day, I just do it.  That's not my norm, but when I get the opportunity it is great.

AFM - I ran 2.5 with P3 this morning.  I'm going to run another 5-6 this evening.  The goal is just to get another 50 in this week.  So, I just need to average a little over 7 per day.  At my current paces, it doesn't seem to bad.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Scotty, I believe it is a southern European....as in Aussie.

"Enjoy the reunion with your daughter too, Jerry, in a couple of weeks.  And if she shows up with a "souvenir" European fiancee on her return.... Wink "

GinnyinPA

Snickers - at least you've got your husband interested in running.  Hopefully he'll listen to you and take it easy until he's more conditioned.

Cherie - no run because you're hurting, or because you're busy?

HopesMom - glad you're doing okay with the walking program.  Enjoy your music tonight.

Scotty - you ran into a tank?  Was it moving?  Clown shoes is right-- they are exceedingly bright-- but at least they match all of your outfits.

Mitch - 2 to 10 is nice if you can sleep in the mornings.  How long will you be on 2nd shift?

Margo - my mother still thought of me as her baby when I was in my 40s.  My dad still does.

Awood - good luck with the plumbing.  Hope you can find the leak.  Doing 50 mile weeks, as busy as life is for you right now, is hard to fathom.

Zelanie - have fun with your field visits.  Should be interesting to see how other schools work.

Vance - has your cold gone away?  If not, rest is probably the best thing for you.

Bin - you are probably still dealing with your vacation break.  I don't think it works well to try too hard to make up for missed runs.

Kristi - that's a lot of walking at work.  Hope it helps the DOMS.

Jerry - expect your daughter to feel and act a bit different after her time in Europe.  I know when I came back from spending a year in France, I looked at everything at home with new eyes.  She should have a lot of good stories though.

Mitch and Damaris - enjoy the easy six.

Jeff - I've done all my running alone.  I think  I'd like to run with other people, but I'm so slow, I've hesitated to get involved with our local group.  And I find that even when I'm with other people (i.e. race or fun run like last night) I still end up alone.  I think if I were heading toward a marathon, though, I'd probably try to work with a group, especially on the long runs.

Jack - enjoy your tempo run.

AFM:  I'll do 4-6 later today.  It looks like rain outside, but since it's definitely going to rain tomorrow, I'll probably chance it.