Beginners and Beyond

Wearing around your medal the day after a race (Read 118 times)

No way.  I feel foolish even letting someone put  a medal on me, unless it's that unicorn one.  But I get why people would be proud to wear it on the day of, or even the day after, especially if it's their first.

Race shirts (or jackets, or hats, or thongs).. sure, wear them whenever you want.  Just not before you've actually completed the race!  Bad juju there.

Birdwell

I take mine off before I clear the finish area.

This. (If I even let them put it around my neck)

My kids, however, get a kick out of wearing my medals all over the place. Many of them are in their dress up box.

RSX

If I'm hanging out with folks wearing them in the bar I usually do. Sometimes I wore them for the car ride home. For a half they never make the car.

I don't really care who wears them wherever. Last year when I ran a half in Beth's area, my wife and I did some sight seeing after. We ran into 2 guys wearing them and I have rarely seen anyone happier. I thought that was really cool.

Regarding the shirts I wear them wherever but have only worn my Boston 2014 once so far as it hasn't been that cool. There was a discussion in RWOL a few months ago about how long to wear a shirt with a year on it. I normally wore them 3 years tops but now I'm okay with wearing them longer.

Zelanie

When I ran the half in Costa Rica, I had to bring a ton of crap with me and ride the bus home, so my neck was the best place to keep my medal for the bus ride.  I ran to catch my first bus because I didn't feel like waiting, and with my race number and medal and limpy run I got a few "cheers". 

The only time I've ever worn them for an extended time after a race is at Boston. I've run four times there now and the evening after the race you see a lot (a LOT) of runners wearing them out to dinner, drinks, etc. But Boston I think is a little different in that it is such an event for the city and everyone gets into it.

Other than that they usually only last around my neck from the finish line to when I get to my drop bag. I've got them hanging in a room in my basement at home. Probably one day most of them will make it to medals4mettle or something similar. There are a few that mean more than the others but only to me.

Dreamn

After the Chicago Marathon two years ago, I think I was the only one not wearing the medal the day after the race.  Also, I have friends who wear their medals to work during the week after the race.  I have one friend who wore her medal for an entire week and even wore it to a concert the following weekend.

bluerun

Super B****

After the Chicago Marathon two years ago, I think I was the only one not wearing the medal the day after the race.  Also, I have friends who wear their medals to work during the week after the race.  I have one friend who wore her medal for an entire week and even wore it to a concert the following weekend.

When I did the Jerusalem half, the woman in the row ahead of me on the plane home was wearing both the race shirt and the medal.  This was, I believe, four or five days later.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

OK that seems a bit excessive. Did she wear the bib too?

Dave

That pretty much defines "excessive".

bluerun

Super B****

Well, she was wearing a hoodie and had the bottom half zipped, so... for all I know she might have been!!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Dreamn

Doesn't look like it Smile.  She called it her #medaltour on FB.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Wear it home from the race, hang it up with the other couple of bling-medals and call it a day. The only way I'd wear it the next day is if there were an event that required it. I've never heard of such an event.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

RSX

This year I went to a dinner 3 nights after Boston. My friends asked me to bring the medal which I did, but never wore. They took pictures of themselves with it which turned out to be pretty cool.

B-Plus

I dropped my AG medal last weekend because I was in such a hurry to get it off. Kind of like that dude who bought the 1st iphone 6.

Cyberic

I vote they charge 5$ less for those events and don't give away participation medals. The event t-shirt can be useful, at least