Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES: Seeking a longer track (Read 40 times)

Zelanie

Morning!  I had a lovely TM run last night.  Wait, what?  But it felt really good to finally get out and run after being in meetings all day.  6M done.  Today is 4-6, then tomorrow my first group track workout since coming back.  And they have a doozy planned!

LRB- You need a horse racing track!

Beth- Hope you have a great time!

MBC- Sounds like a "first world dog problem".  Mine love to swim, but hate getting their paws wet to go out to pee.

D- Good luck on the 800s!

Tom- Nice run!

Phil- Hope the cramp, or whatever it is, clears up.

Andrew- Almost guarantee that alcohol was involved! Glad they will be able to catch the person, getting hit while parked sucks!

Scotty- Hiya!

jjs- Sounds like my day yesterday, but all day instead of half.  Hope they are more tolerable than usual.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

3.5 mile "easy fartlek" in Key West by the beach. No rain today Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

12.4. Got to watch the spectacle of them breaking one of  the high tech recycle trucks. It was pretty entertaining.  I ran it 5 times doing laps in one of the sections.  One of the other recycle trucks that had been in another section came, then a supervisor. They did get it fixed but it was fun to watch.

Marjorie

Hip Redux

Crazy day at work this morning and off to my drs appt this afternoon.  I am armed with a history of my back issues starting in 2009, along with a two week, day-by-day account of what meds I'm taking and my pain levels.   I am taking geekiness to a whole new level with this spreadsheet, but I've not seen this doctor before and I want to make sure I have everything covered.  I'm sure he's going to think I am completely nuts.

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Been off the grid for a few days, staying at the inlaws (no internet) while moving our oldest into college.  I am officially the parent of a college freshman, man does that make me feel old!  It went smoothly tho, he's already adjusting well, he ditched us for dinner the first day we were there to eat with a girl from his orientation group. lol

Did some nice easy running in the mountains over the weekend, great weather, wish I wasn't tapering, would have been nice to do a long run.  Only six miles this morning, stupid taper.

Hope everyone has been doing well!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

FYP.

3.5 mile "easy fartlek" in Key West by the beach. No rain today YET Smile

Damaris

Ric-G

lrb - 1 mile ovalSmile

just - safe travels

mbkr - nice job

D - "cold" ...ha ha...nice 8

baboon - heal up

brrr - criminals...go figure

scotty - enjoy the "cool" weather

jjs - meetings...ugh

zel - nice TM run there

kristin - "easy" fartlek...take it

marjorie - fun stuff

oski - make him earn it

D2 - time flies...doesn't it

6 or 7 planned for later...found out I have to drive mucho miles tomorrow and thursday which will throw my week off...would rather run mucho miles, but that's life....have a good day everyone!

marathon pr - 3:16

B-Plus

Wow, it's really awesome to run in the morning, but not at the crack of dawn.

5 x 1k @ 3:44, 3:45, 3:44, 3:45, 3:44 w/ 400m recoveries

10.3 miles total

Now, I'm off to be a good son.

meaghansketch

LRB- Hope your trail run was great!

Beth- Enjoy your trip and good luck on the tri!

MBC- Happy Tuesday to you!  Hope you can catch up on sleep sometime.

Damaris- Nice run, enjoy your 800s tonight!

Tom- Nice run!

Baboon- Nice miles, hope you feel better soon!

Scotty- Thanks as usual!

jjs- Hope your day is good, even with all the meetings!

Zelanie- Nice TM run!  Good luck on the track workout tomorrow-- guess I'll hear about it then!

Kristin- sounds heavenly!  Sounds like you're enjoying your vacation!

Marjorie- Very nice miles!

Oski- Hope it works out with the doctor!

Dave- That race is coming up soon!  Enjoy the taper!

Ric-G- Bummer about all the driving, hope you don't have to rearrange your week too much.

B-Plus- Very nice 1K repeats!  Extremely consistent pace.

Me- Messing around with my schedule this week to accommodate my race Monday.  Trying to put forth a good PR effort without sacrificing too much training.  I'll cut out one of my two quality days this week, and instead of doing Tues intervals and a Thurs tempo run, I'll just do a Wednesday tempo run.  6.8 easy today.  I'll have to get up early tomorrow to get my run in (8-9 total) and make it to the fire department records building before work.  YAAAAAAAY BUREAUCRACY!

Jess runs for bacon

Sup! Just did three extremely slow miles on a new path. I decided yesterday to skip workouts so I could donate blood. It's been too long and I figured I should do it while marathon training allows. That meant I had to take it super duper easy, and I walked a lot. It was worth it though Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with all those meetings, jj!

Good luck with your miles today, Zelanie.  Glad you got a run in last night.  6M on the TM...you have a lot of patience.

Nice, Kristin, running on the beach, with the option to go for a dip in the ocean post-run, enjoyable way to cool off.

Nice that you were entertained on your run, Marjorie.

Oski, hope your appointment went well and your doc was duly impressed by your thoroughness.

No worries, Dave, he'll come back to you and his mom  when he needs all his laundry done.   Good luck with the taper!

Small world, Meaghan, I have a race on Monday too.  It's called the Whine Run 5-Miler and they aren't kidding!  The only flat place on the whole course is right by the start and finish area. Once you go over the chip mat, you make a little turn around this bend and then it is HILLS for just about the whole 5 miles, and these are not small hills either.  Right before the finish we have to climb this one last HUMONGOUSLY steep hill - short, but very steep - and then we make a right turn and get a gradual downhill, thank goodness, to the finish.   After the race our 'payoff' for doing that is one GREAT after-party at the local winery across the street.  Souvenir wine glass to keep, free wine or beer, lots of different types of food, other drinks, door prizes, music, etc.  Fun stuff.

I copied the elevation for this race from my MapMyRun list of courses I have.   The chart makes them actually look not so bad, but you'll see the actual hills when I post my race report for this one.  Believe me, this is a tough course.

""The Run has a total ascent of 216.54 ft and has a maximum elevation of 1,253.28 ft."

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

I was so looking forward to this run and things just did not go well.  I was met at the trail head with high winds and a green sky, so I thought better of it and went back to my car and five seconds later, the sky opened up!

I waited 50 minutes for the hard stuff to pass but there remained this big blob of steady rain over the entire state so my choices were either to bag the run, or head out in the rain.  Yeah.

By mile 2, I was completely drenched from feet to head and seriously contemplated turning around, but there was no other day or time to fit such an important run in in so I trudged on.

By mile 5.5, the rain finally stopped but I was struggling with the mental demons to not turn around as my shoes felt like frickin' sponges.  Couple that with the fact that my energy stores were seriously low and I just wanted it to be over.  But I thought I would be okay if I just made it to the halfway point (7.5), at least then I would have my first GU ever, and a boost of energy, so that is what I did.

I got to the turn around point, reached for some life sustaining carbs and the fuckin' GU was gone!  Somehow, it fell out of my pocket!  I was so dejected, and felt so out of it!

At that point there was nowhere to go but south, so reluctantly, I put my head down and just ran.  I mean, what else was there to do?

Around mile 9.5, I caught up with a lady who is running Columbus, who like me was glycogen depleted, only she was walking.  I told some stupid joke about me getting my ass handed to me and she decided to run with me.

Her name was Leslie, and as luck would have it we were running a similar pace, so together, we charged on.

We ran 1.5 miles together before she got to her car, but I still had 4 miles to go....and what is that on the ground?  MY GU!  THANK YOU JESUS!

I ended up finishing the intended workout but the entire thing was just hard, not what I was expecting.  There were some positives to take from it such as my gear, which despite being drenched for the entire two hours I ran, held up marvelously. There is nothing chafed and I have no blisters.

I do not think I could have run another 11 miles today, but thankfully, I did not have to.  I am a little down about the whole thing but happy I hung in there and toughed out a tough fuckin' run.

15 miles done, and so am I!

9:12 warmup

8:17 warmup

7:39

7:27

7:20

7:22

7:29

7:31

7:30

7:30

7:33

7:26

7:25

7:29

8:42 cool down

meaghansketch

So, I was just looking, this morning, at some past mileage.  I was seriously in denial regarding my preparation for my March marathon.  Looking back, I can't believe how little I was running, compared to what I wanted to be running, and compared to what I should have been running.

Leading up to March marathon:

(these are pretty approximate)

Nov 2012: ~120 miles

Dec 2012: ~90 miles

Jan: ~185 miles

Feb: ~150 miles

Leading up to Nov marathon (so far)

June :170 miles

July: 195 miles

August: 202 miles (so far)

I am hoping that September's going to be my highest mileage month so far.

Looking at this is really making me feel a lot better about my preparation for my upcoming marathon.  I really don't want a repeat of what happened in March (surprise, surprise-- a big fade over last 10K) and I'm hoping that the increased mileage will give me the endurance I need to go out at my goal pace and hold it through to the end.

delicate flower

Sounds brutal, LRB.  Way to tough it out.  We all have those days.  As bad as a run can go, I am always happy to be able to finish it.  For every bad run, there is an equally awesome run waiting to be had.

On a completely unrelated note, this Chobani coconut yogurt sure is good.

<3

meaghansketch

Scotty- Good luck with those hills this weekend!  I've got what's rumored to be a very fast and flat course for my race.

LRB- Good job toughing that one out.  Sometimes the purpose of a run is more to increase your mental toughness than anything else.  If you hit a tough place mentally during your marathon, you can look back on that run and tell yourself, did I do that one for nothing?  Did I do that awful run just to phone this thing in?  NO YOU DID NOT.