Beginners and Beyond

Orthopedic Surgeon vs orthotist vs LRS-my experience. (Read 175 times)

Shakedown Street

Ok, this might be 'rant-ish'

Two months ago I started having pain in my PT area on my left foot. I also had what I would consider minor ITB issues in that leg. I thought this was due to running on my wonderfully cambered roads. I was doing 35mpw +/-.

I made an appointment at an orthopedic surgeon, just to rule out SFx and the other nasties. I did not think I had this, but wanted someones opinion that was obviously more experienced in the subject. I have since visited this Dr 3x, he is a runner/tri-geek, and is pretty well respected locally in the running crowd and also comes as a rec from my GP.

After our first visit, he recommended some 'shock absorbing inserts' and said I could try OTC or visit a local orthotist who works at a different office. I opted for the orthotist, bc this individual has been doing this trade for about 20 years.

First visit I bring in a ton of shoes, and he makes trial inserts, they get carved on and adjusted a number of times. After I am happy, he makes molds, and gets the final inserts and we are good to go...I have not ran in the finals yet (trying today), but have put about 130 miles on the prelim inserts.

RANT-I have been to 3 different LRS. Every store I have been in says I am a 'mild-overpronator' or 'overpronator'. Shoes have been recommended to me based on this. I have 86ed these shoes after a couple of runs because they are simply not right.

Both my orthopedic surgeon and orthotist tell me I suppinate, or underpronate. Both have told me I strike on the outside of my foot and that is 'not good' and can lead to ITB, SFx and a host of other issues. Both tell me I should be in a neutral shoe with a ton of cushion and a pliable medial area/arch. Good, because these are the shoes that feel good to me.

So, just a heads up. I know a lot of folks have great experiences at their LRS. And a lot of LRS have staff with tons of experience. That was not my case, and a visit to an Orthopedic Surgeon/orthotist is still much cheaper than buying shoes and tossing them because they were recommended by someone whose experience is "I run a lot and like it".

Anyways....here is to figuring shit out and not being injured!

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Little Blue

Well I'm sure that all sucked at the time, but at least you found your answer!

My SIL (Lanie811) went through months and months and shoe after shoe, and still had shin splints and leg pain.   Gait analysis, orthotics, insoles, nothing worked.  Finally, a different guy at a different LRS took her out of stability and put her in neutral shoes, and *poof*, all better.

It sure seems like everyone they analyze needs stability shoes.  Is there more markup on those?

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I also think that overpronation is overdiagnosed (both self-diagnosis and LRS).  I was in stability shoes after my first visit to the LRS and had foot pain and just didn't "feel" right, I felt like I was being really forced onto the outsides of my feet.  I went again and consulted with the store owner, who's a great guy, great runner, truly has a passion for running.  I explained what I was feeling like and brought two old pair of shoes--pre-stability shoes and the stability shoes and he put me in neutral shoes and I have had absolutely no issues since.  I know they say supinating is rare, but in all of my race photos I am on the outsides of my feet--during all cycles of my foot being on the ground.  My wear pattern is classic supinator and shows no wear as an overpronator would.

Go with what feels right and go with your gut.  A lot of people say don't rely on wear pattern, but really, it's your body's way of talking back to you about what's going on down there.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Love the Half

I think there is a misperception among many in the LRS community that pronation is a "bad" thing.  In reality, pronation is simply your body's way of absorbing shock.  In other words, you are supposed to pronate.  Moreover, everything in life falls onto a rough bell curve so the likelihood is that 2/3 of the population pronates normally, 1/6 overpronates and 1/6 underpronates.  Yet, I'm willing to bet that well over half of all people who go into a LRS get put into stability shoes when the reality is that 5 out of 6 people ought to be in neutral shoes.  

From the "for what it's worth" department, landing on the outside of your foot isn't "bad" either.  I can show you pictures of plenty of world class runners who clearly land on the outside of their foot.  

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Shakedown Street

I also think that overpronation is overdiagnosed (both self-diagnosis and LRS).  I was in stability shoes after my first visit to the LRS and had foot pain and just didn't "feel" right, I felt like I was being really forced onto the outsides of my feet.  I went again and consulted with the store owner, who's a great guy, great runner, truly has a passion for running.  I explained what I was feeling like and brought two old pair of shoes--pre-stability shoes and the stability shoes and he put me in neutral shoes and I have had absolutely no issues since.  I know they say supinating is rare, but in all of my race photos I am on the outsides of my feet--during all cycles of my foot being on the ground.  My wear pattern is classic supinator and shows no wear as an overpronator would.

Go with what feels right and go with your gut.  A lot of people say don't rely on wear pattern, but really, it's your body's way of talking back to you about what's going on down there.

I am curious-since now I am officially an underpronater. Did you try to change/adjust your strike or do you just embrace the outside?

For me, it's on my left foot. Maybe a slightly shorter leg, or stiffness in the ankle from past injury,

Do I just go with the underpronation on the left foot, or do I mentally take note, and try to change it.

FWIW...my ortho said that I should have insoles to absorb shock because landing in that area can lead to sfx over time. My inserts that were made by the orthotist are not identical. The left one 'corrects' more for that by putting a lot of material on the outside of my left foot to 'remind' my foot to strike correctly-this is something I am on the fence about....is the added material going to adjust my strike or will it just batter the area even more?

Great comments folks...I appreciate your insight and experience. And I do agree LTH, there are some seriously fast high milage people with wanky foot strikes...me, I am just wanky.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)