Beginners and Beyond

The Sundailies are Here (Read 41 times)

outoftheblue

Congrats Zelanie!  You are officially a marathoner now!

Life is good.

Cyberic

Sincere congratulations Zel. One day I want to be like you.

Zelanie

RR to come later after I've had a chance to collect ideas and info.  For now, here is the quick post-mortem:

1. I think I trained too hard for my current level of fitness.  This mostly showed up as my inability to hit my paces during easy runs, as I stubbornly did all my quality runs at pace.  And, as a newbie, I didn't have the experience to know how the various paces should feel, since I had no point of reference.

2. I went out too fast for my current level of fitness and the conditions.  I only know a couple of other runners who were there, but both of them were also 15+ minutes off their goals.  Also, my Garmin wasn't that accurate with all of the buildings around.  There is one small chunk that the marathon lists me as running essentially HM pace between two mats.  My Garmin showed me on pace or even a tad slow through that same section.  So either the mat wasn't where they said it was, or I ran waaaay too fast through that section.  But I still can't believe I would have been running that fast through there, it doesn't make sense.

3.  (And this is the main one) Things were going well, I was feeling good and comfortable, and then out of nowhere my throat closed off and I couldn't breathe.  And that was like mile 11-12ish, so I had a long hard day of suck where I could not get full breath of air into my lungs.  It kind of felt like you do when you're about to cry, and your throat closes up and you can't breathe in very well.  It sounds a lot like this, and the anxiety thing makes a lot of sense.  I had a moment after the HMers split off where I got super nervous, and I wonder if that was enough to just set the whole thing off.  I've never experiences anything like that before.

Is it normal to be really hoarse after a marathon, or is that part of #3?  I could barely talk at all, my throat was still closed and it was really hard to talk for quite a while afterwards.  Now I am feeling a lot better, but am still hoarse.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

8 miles done.  I so did not want to run but I did them.

Damaris

happylily

Zel, the hoarse throat does not sound normal to me. And the not being able to breathe normally at miles 11-12 either... Damaris knows someone who has that. Her name is Robin, she's on RWOL. Maybe you could contact her. It's interesting what you say about hitting the right paces for speedwork, but not for easy runs. I was always told that there was no such thing as too slow when it came to easy pace. I'm constantly chastised for running too fast on easy days. Maybe it was something else? How did you pick your goal? I agree that you may have gone out a little too fast. For now, rest. You will have the opportunity to sort all this out as you write your RR. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

RR to come later after I've had a chance to collect ideas and info.  For now, here is the quick post-mortem:

1. I think I trained too hard for my current level of fitness.  This mostly showed up as my inability to hit my paces during easy runs, as I stubbornly did all my quality runs at pace.  And, as a newbie, I didn't have the experience to know how the various paces should feel, since I had no point of reference.

2. I went out too fast for my current level of fitness and the conditions.  I only know a couple of other runners who were there, but both of them were also 15+ minutes off their goals.  Also, my Garmin wasn't that accurate with all of the buildings around.  There is one small chunk that the marathon lists me as running essentially HM pace between two mats.  My Garmin showed me on pace or even a tad slow through that same section.  So either the mat wasn't where they said it was, or I ran waaaay too fast through that section.  But I still can't believe I would have been running that fast through there, it doesn't make sense.

3.  (And this is the main one) Things were going well, I was feeling good and comfortable, and then out of nowhere my throat closed off and I couldn't breathe.  And that was like mile 11-12ish, so I had a long hard day of suck where I could not get full breath of air into my lungs.  It kind of felt like you do when you're about to cry, and your throat closes up and you can't breathe in very well.  It sounds a lot like this, and the anxiety thing makes a lot of sense.  I had a moment after the HMers split off where I got super nervous, and I wonder if that was enough to just set the whole thing off.  I've never experiences anything like that before.

Is it normal to be really hoarse after a marathon, or is that part of #3?  I could barely talk at all, my throat was still closed and it was really hard to talk for quite a while afterwards.  Now I am feeling a lot better, but am still hoarse.

First marathons are hard, don't beat yourself up.

As to number 3, I feel like that most of the time, especially during races.  But, if you never had asthma, you should get it checked for the stuff you linked to, because there are several other disorders that mimic asthma but only happen to those that never have asthma as a kid.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I get hoarse after runs, sometimes. I think it's from breathing through my mouth when I cannot breathe well, so that could be it.  Also, if the race was windy.  I had no voice after my marathon PR because it was very windy.

Damaris

Congrats Zel!

Is it normal to be really hoarse after a marathon, or is that part of #3?

You're doing it wrong.  You should be eating and drinking nonstop after a marathon, not talking Wink

Also, nice job Lauren!

LRB

First marathons are hard, don't beat yourself up.

+1

Or at least don't beat yourself up too bad.  You ran 26.2 fuckin miles girl, who would have dreamed that a few years ago! 

outoftheblue

+1

Or at least don't beat yourself up too bad.  You ran 26.2 fuckin miles girl, who would have dreamed that a few years ago! 

Totally agree.  You can do the full post-mortem tomorrow, but for now celebrate your achievement of today.  It's no small thing to run a marathon and I really admire the way you preserved even when things didn't go as planned.

Life is good.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Zel, you don't think you're coming down with strep or something do you? The flu, or something respiratory? I am hoping and praying that I keep staying healthy.... at least until after my marathon.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Mmmmm...beer

104.3 miles for the week, new weekly PR, and all on a treadmill  (can't wait to get back to the real world at the end of the week and be able to run outside again, especially with the cool weather!).

Zel, hope your throat feels better soon!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

104.3 miles for the week, new weekly PR, and all on a treadmill  (can't wait to get back to the real world at the end of the week and be able to run outside again, especially with the cool weather!).

Zel, hope your throat feels better soon!

You, crazy!  Do you need me to post?  Let me know!

Damaris

Mmmmm...beer

You, crazy!  Do you need me to post?  Let me know!

If I wasn't crazy before this, four weeks of running on a treadmill twice a day in a box with no airflow while staring at the wall will definitely do the trick!  Thanks, I was able to post my miles this week, the internet out here seems to be cooperating this evening.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!