Beginners and Beyond

The first WednDAILIES of the rest of your life (Read 48 times)

StepbyStep-SH

So sorry, D. I live in a state where second, third, even fourth offense DUIs sometimes walk with misdemeanor fine, and first offense is just a traffic ticket. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

Oh Damaris...how tragic... How can people leave like that? I'd rather die myself than consciously leave someone dying on the pavement without attempting to help them. And drunk driving is such a stupid, stupid crime... Very sad.

I finished work very late. The last parent was one hour past her regular pick-up time. She's done that often since I started my contract with her and I know that she finishes work at 2:30 pm (elementary teacher), but she arrives at my house at 5:30... I was so angry (but kept it all bottled up inside) that I grabbed the fudge that my sister made for me and ate an entire pound of it. This emotional eating really has got to stop. Fortunately, I did manage to push myself to run after. Ran 8 miles at moderate effort, including 10 rather slow strides, in just a few minutes over one hour. The strides were tough due to the fudge. I'm pathetic.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Oh Damaris...how tragic... How can people leave like that? I'd rather die myself than consciously leave someone dying on the pavement without attempting to help them. And drunk driving is such a stupid, stupid crime... Very sad.

I finished work very late. The last parent was one hour past her regular pick-up time. She's done that often since I started my contract with her and I know that she finishes work at 2:30 pm (elementary teacher), but she arrives at my house at 5:30... I was so angry (but kept it all bottled up inside) that I grabbed the fudge that my sister made for me and ate an entire pound of it. This emotional eating really has got to stop. Fortunately, I did manage to push myself to run after. Ran 8 miles at moderate effort, including 10 rather slow strides, in just a few minutes over one hour. The strides were tough due to the fudge. I'm pathetic.

She would be assigned a late fee here as we don't play that mess. Those fees are clearly stated, posted and enforced usually and get higher in increments of 15 minutes late, 30 minutes, 45 minutes etc.

If someone is an hour late they might as well bring their checkbook. lol

DavePNW

Goddammit, I just effed up my back, doing nothing. We'll see how it feels tomorrow morning -- either it'll be manageable, or I won't be able to move. Ugh.

Dave

LRB

Goddammit, I just effed up my back, doing nothing. We'll see how it feels tomorrow morning -- either it'll be manageable, or I won't be able to move. Ugh.

That's the worst, at least let me be trying to dead lift a Toyota or something. Hopefully it's nothing major!

Little Blue

I thought I was the only one capable of injuring myself while sitting still.  Must be an age thing.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I thought I was the only one capable of injuring myself while sitting still.  Must be an age thing.

I did something unknown to my back sophomore year in college while sitting & tying my shoe. Something popped loud enough for my roommate to hear it across the room and it was painful to sit for about a week.

Some of us are just lucky that way? Definitely not always an age thing.

Little Blue

My SIL recently injured her back while painting her toenails.  She had her foot propped up on an ottoman, and apparently the angle she was leaning at was too much.  It took her several days to figure out what she did!

outoftheblue

My back has been hurting on and off or the last few years.  Any little thing sets it off at this point.  The joys of getting older, I guess.

I was in the Bay Area today, so I got in 9 beautiful miles by the Pacific ocean.

Life is good.

StepbyStep-SH

That's the worst, at least let me be trying to dead lift a Toyota or something. Hopefully it's nothing major!

And I have a kink in my neck just short of muscle spasms because of, wait for it ... the stupid angle they make you look while doing a mammogram. As if the rest of the procedure weren't torture enough.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

DavePNW

I started having back problems in my early 20's. It would get set off by the most insignificant things, and could have me in severe pain for weeks at a time. It was also why I was told I should never run. But since I started running in my mid-40's, I've had minimal issues. Go figure.

Dave

Hip Redux

The back definitely reacts to a "straw that broke the camels back" scenario - generally we aren't so kind to our backs (posture, lots of sitting, etc etc) and so the constant stress finally gives out when we do something like pick up a pencil.  It's not really the act of picking up the pencil, it's the days and weeks prior of slouching at your desk, sort of thing.

I find running helps my back as well, but the biggest thing was moving to a standing desk.  Two years now, and no major flare ups.

Cyberic

Oski, is it a standing-sitting desk? What % or how many hours per day do you spend working standing up?

Hip Redux

Oski, is it a standing-sitting desk? What % or how many hours do you spend working standing up?

It is - I can sit or stand.   I stand for most of the day, except for the time I am in meetings (which, on some days, is a lot lol).   On a normal day, I am probably standing something like 4-5 hours, sitting 2-3 in meetings.

B-Plus

Take 6 Motrin.