Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Boxer Boogie 5K and 3K (Read 26 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

THE DETAILS

Held on October 26, 2014.  My 59th race of 2014 and my 2nd for the weekend, after having done the Purple 5K on Saturday, Oct 25th.  Race location was McAllister Park in San Antonio.  Events included 5K and 3K with dog, and 5K and 3K without dog.  Overall for the 5Ks, there were 432 finishers.  I ended up with a chip time of 33:17 for the 5K without dog.

BEFORE THE START

Since McAllister Park is only about a mile from my house, I got to sleep in a bit, as the race start time was 8:30 a.m.  Prior to the race start there was a pet costume contest

I then wandered around taking some random photos pre-start...

These yellow shirts these folks are wearing are the race shirts participants got

Me with running friends Tina and Neil...who are the Race Directors for my upcoming annual running club membership run next week.  Mucho thanks for doing that, being an RD involves a lot!

ON THE COURSE

The course was on paved trails in McAllister Park.  This park is my favorite park in San Antonio.  It is the city's largest park, with both paved and off-road trails, a multitude of restrooms and water fountains all around the park, lots of different terrain from flat to hilly.   There is also a trail that connects to the Lady Bird Johnson Park trails, so you can indeed do a run of a very long ways if you so desire.  Lots  of folks train at this park for upcoming races because of the many conveniences.  It is probably the most used park in the city.

That lady on the left is obviously an angel among us, face all suffused with heavenly light....plus she's floating....

AFTER MY FINISH

The timers from AthleteGuild busy watching all the incoming finishers..

MMMM, breakfast tacos served by these lovely ladies

A few more volunteers out there for us..

And some "Happy Finishers" et al...

Oh my....two more angels!

Next, tried to organize a Great Dane group shot....apparently Great Danes have a mind of their own...

And his Human was like.."What are you gonna do? SIGH..."    lol.  They were a good group of folks and the dogs were very entertaining, enjoyed meeting them all.

EPILOG

This was the 3rd annual race for this event and, like last year, very enjoyable.  I like that this race is on Sunday, gives it a lot less competition with other local races.  And, of course, the location for me is great too, only a mile from my neighborhood.  There was some kind of glitch post-race as to how the award categories were supposed to be posted, but I really was not concerned about that as I am hardly ever speedy enough to get an award.  However, I did feel for the folks who did qualify and waited around for quite a while until it got sorted out.   Other than that, very nice event, nice course - which I erroneously thought was long, but then realized it was not the timer folks it was me, I'd screwed up my chrono timing, duhhhh    -  nice post-race goodies, lots of fun dogs for me to interact with.   This one is definitely a keeper!  Mucho thanks to law enforcement, volunteers, sponsors, etc., all the folks who made this happen for we participants.

Next Up for Me:  Day of The Dead 5K nighttime run on Nov 1st and the San Antonio Roadrunner Membership Appreciation Run on Nov 2.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Did you get to run in the race with the dogs?  You are a Scottydawg, afterall.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Did you get to run in the race with the dogs?  You are a Scottydawg, afterall.

The folks with dogs started 10 minutes after us.  And the faster ones caught up to me and passed me...and I never saw them again until the finish, lol.

Cyberic

Nice pics again Scotty. How many races do you run per year again? Over 50 is it?

happylily

I loved the puppy pics! Almost makes me want to adopt a dog.  Congratulations on your 59th race, Scotty!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

GinnyinPA

That looks like a really fun event.  Who knew there were that many doggie costumes?  Did you have enough treats for all?

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Cuteness overload!  I wish my little dog could run.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Apparently Boxers are a popular breed in that area ill. Great pics Scotty and good job 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Those are some very creative humans!

I wanted a boxer so bad way back in the day....and then I got one. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice pics again Scotty. How many races do you run per year again? Over 50 is it?

Last year I did 75 races, but doubt I will make it to that many this year.  Probably only in the 60-something range this year.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Those are some very creative humans!

I wanted a boxer so bad way back in the day....and then I got one. 

My first dog when I was a kid was a boxer.  Loved that mutt, he took very good care of me, followed me everywhere.  Still have fond memories of him.

What was wrong with your boxer?  Most of them are really super dogs.  Or did you get the other type of boxer...the one who kept hitting you  with boxing gloves....