Beginners and Beyond

Help Slate build a better running calculator (Read 62 times)

B-Plus

Check out the survey questions at the link within the article. I can't see how they're going to get any valid data with those questions.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/technology/2014/04/running_calculators_are_inaccurate_and_misleading_help_slate_build_a_better.html

Maybe there could be a calculator for "real" runners and another one for people who get off the couch for the annual local 10k.

Dear Slate:

This may be helpful

LRB

"While each of these calculators turns up a different value, all assume the same relationship between short and long races irrespective of age, training, and gender, Vickers says. Yet we know that most women and older runners do relatively better in longer races as compared to shorter ones. "

That is simply not true.  Not everyone excels at distance regardless of their age or gender.

Love the Half

Actually, it makes a lot of sense.  Imagine two people with a 25:00 5K PR.  We'll assume that both people set their PR's within the last month on a flat course with good weather conditions.  However, one person is a 25 year old male who runs 15 miles per week while the other is a 40 year old female who runs 50 miles per week.  McMillan would spit out the exact same predicted time for them in a marathon but we know that the 40 year old female in this case would crush the 25 year old male in a marathon because he doesn't have the mileage base needed to run it.

What this person is trying to do is to build a calculator based on a statistical model with numerous factors impacting the model including age, gender, mileage per week, and whether you do speed work.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

I understand that I am just not convinced that just because you are female or older you would do better at distance based solely on those two factors.

If for instance you currently specialize in the 800, it is not automatic that you will do better at the marathon because you aged.

Although to the articles credit they did say relatively speaking (I initially read right past that) so there is that.

happylily

I understand that I am just not convinced that just because you are female or older you would do better at distance based solely on those two factors.

If for instance you currently specialize in the 800, it is not automatic that you will do better at the marathon because you aged.

Although to the articles credit they did say relatively speaking (I initially read right past that) so there is that.

Exactly. Would the 40 year old woman do better at the marathon because she is female and older, or because she runs 50 miles a week, unlike the young guy who only runs 15? I can see gender and age being a factor in speed. Being a young male is ideal. But in distance, how can being old and/or a woman help you? You can say that women prefer training for distances, rather than speed. And that older people have more time to train. But that doesn't make them "better" at distances.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

And that older people have more time to train. But that doesn't make them "better" at distances.

It just makes them old. 

Dave

But that doesn't make them "better" at distances.

No, it makes them worse at shorter distances. Statistically if a 25yo male and a 40yo female can both run a 3 hour marathon, chances are the male is faster at 5k. That is, as we age, the difference in pace b/w distances gets closer (i.e. worse relatively at shorter stuff). So, it's not that age/gender makes one better at longer, but "worse" - again, relative to performance degradation - at shorter stuff.

Though also, women, statistically, crush men overall at really long distances (see wins, high placement, at ultras).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  happylily

It just makes them old. 

Yes. And some days they are older than they actually are. 

happylily

No, it makes them worse at shorter distances. Statistically if a 25yo male and a 40yo female can both run a 3 hour marathon, chances are the male is faster at 5k. That is, as we age, the difference in pace b/w distances gets closer (i.e. worse relatively at shorter stuff). So, it's not that age/gender makes one better at longer, but "worse" - again, relative to performance degradation - at shorter stuff.

Though also, women, statistically, crush men overall at really long distances (see wins, high placement, at ultras).

Yes, I agree 100% with the first part of your post.

For the second statement, I wonder though if it's not simply that some very good female runners (are we talking very young runners or more like late 30s, 40s?) tend to gravitate around ultras because they know they cannot shine anymore in shorter distances. A man who runs a sub-20 5k is hugely congratulated (I'm talking about any recreational runner here, on our forums), especially if he's older. He's a stud, etc, etc... But a woman runs a 21:00 5k and we pat her on the head and say good work little girl. So, damn it, we older females have to turn to ultras for our minute of glory.  (though not me, I would stink at both 5ks and ultras)  They can outperform the younger crowd because they have the time for proper training, the running experience (both mental and physical) and their bodies can still operate close to 100% when it comes to distance. But again, they are not necessarily "better" than anyone younger who would put in the same amount training. But maybe I'm wrong. You have the stats and I don't. I was just rambling. I'm at least good at that. 

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Tough and stringy carries you a long way for sure.

Was there a variable for that:

1 - marshmallow fluff

10 - sun dried bull penis

Love the Half

I don't know that he is making the assumption that women and older folks are better at longer distances.  Maybe they are and maybe they aren't.  What he appears to be attempting is to collect data from thousands of runners.  Using that statistical data, you could then make a better race prediction for someone.  So, rather than just inputting a time like you do with most running calculators, you would input a race time, age, gender, miles per week, whether you do speed work, etc.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

B-Plus

Hmmm ... I had a question/observation, but now that I've re-read the discussion I see that you guys have been discussing what I was thinking about.

What I can guess though is if LRB kept training for the 5k and I the marathon, I know he'd smoke me in the 5k regardless of what the current calculators predict for my 5k time.

I remember the old Jim2 formula took mileage into account, but we all know that's not relevant after about 20 mpw, since it is a FACT that we only need to run 3 days per week to run our best times.

LRB

What I can guess though is if LRB kept training for the 5k and I the marathon, I know he'd smoke me in the 5k regardless of what the current calculators predict for my 5k time.

While you would smoke me in the marathon regardless of what my predicted time was.