Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Are Having A Succorrhoea Saturday! (Read 32 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I've had Moose Drool.  It is awesome!  I had my parents pick some up last time they were out that way...lol  Small world.

Zel: 3500 In the HM. We drove the course yesterday and there are a lot of turns through the residential area. I hope it doesn't make for a slow race. There could be a lot of crowd support, so that would help. I just want to PR.

Awood: freakin' nice tempo run!! One beer I liked is called Moose Drool.

Lauren: I've had Racer 5. I'm not a big fan of IPA, but that was pretty good.

T-rod: nice pr!!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

She Can - The Daniels plan is so flexible.  He tells you your two quality runs, and what percentage of peak mileage to run.  You decide when to run them, and when to run your non-quality miles.  If you don't have 24 weeks, he tells you how to prioritize the weeks.  If you want to repeat a week, or extend a phase he tells you how to do that.  Want to throw in another race?  He tells you how to do that.  It's really less of a "plan", and more of a guide.  I really enjoy it because I've never run a marathon, and here's a guide that is flexible and yet still gives you guidance if you need to deviate.  The only downside is that if you don't read the rest of the book, the "plans" just aren't going to work.  I do love it though.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Lauren - I think you're right about the fitness thing.  I really need to find a race.  Next week is only supposed to be 70 percent of my peak mileage, but my only choice for a race is Sunday and it's an 11 o'clock 5K in friggin' July.  You know it's going to be HOT, and humid.  I probably wouldn't be a good judge of my overall fitness, but it could give me an idea of where my summer paces should be.

If anybody has an opinion on that race, let me know.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Why would any organization schedule an 11am 5K in July?!

Lauren - I think you're right about the fitness thing.  I really need to find a race.  Next week is only supposed to be 70 percent of my peak mileage, but my only choice for a race is Sunday and it's an 11 o'clock 5K in friggin' July.  You know it's going to be HOT, and humid.  I probably wouldn't be a good judge of my overall fitness, but it could give me an idea of where my summer paces should be.

If anybody has an opinion on that race, let me know.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

FYP.  If I ever run at 11am, I might cook like a lobster.

Why would any organization schedule an 11am 5K at any time of the year!

Damaris

Zelanie

No, no, no.  In Seattle, you could totally run at 11 AM most of the year. Wink

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That's because you have no sun.... Joking

No, no, no.  In Seattle, you could totally run at 11 AM most of the year. Wink

Damaris

Zelanie

Picky, picky.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hey, didn't you read a prior post this week about me requesting WA Bar admission?  Not sure it will pan out since, after all, I am admitted in three other jurisdictions and I am still stuck in hell.

Picky, picky.

Damaris

Zelanie

I did read that. Smile  That's why I used Seattle instead of Oregon, where I am, although here we had an 11 AM race just a month ago and I think it was like 75 and overcast at start time.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

They run the 5K at 11AM to kick off the parade that goes right behind it.  It's the start of the 4H fair, which is cool.  By running the race, you end up in the fairground without paying the admission price.  I ran it for that reason back in college, and realized that this race can be awesome or it can be a debacle.  The heat destroys some people.  One year they didn't check the train schedule, and everybody but the leaders had to wait for a train to pass.  It finishes on a dirt horse track, and you have to run almost a full lap.  That's fine, unless you get a heavy rain the night before or that morning.  You've got the smell of diesel, horse manure, and hot weather.  Most of the race is on nice black asphalt that reflects the heat right up at you.  The last time I ran it, I was a college wrestler in great shape and the heat was so bad that I took off my socks and ran in just my shoes and underwear.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Angry

It is usually already 87F at 5am here.

I did read that. Smile  That's why I used Seattle instead of Oregon, where I am, although here we had an 11 AM race just a month ago and I think it was like 75 and overcast at start time.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Scotty - glad you survived your hot race.  Hope Gail got home without problems.  I can't sleep without my husband either.  We haven't been separated at all in the past 14 years, and rarely in the 7 before that.

Baconista - Hope you had a good birthday and that your race went well.

Bin - nice getting in the 13 this morning.  I've come to appreciate clouds a lot more now that it's hotter.  They do help.

Jerry - I hope your hip feels better today.

Jack - I know what you mean about Montana weather.  When we were hiking the CDT, we got very familiar with the changeability.  One day we were trying to hitch to Lincoln to resupply.  In the half hour we waited, we experienced snow, sun, thunder, sun, hail, sun.  Colorado is about as bad.  And I agree, Moose Drool is good.  As I remember, all the beers they made were pretty good.  Good luck tomorrow.

Tomas - congratulations on the PR.

Z - hope you enjoyed your miles this afternoon.

Awood - sounds like a great run.  I'll have to see if I can get hold of Daniel's book.  Sounds like it's a lot more flexible than most.  I don't know about the race.  I think I'd wait to see how hot it will be.  More than 80, I'd skip, unless you do it for fun.

Docket - I hope your miles went well and that your DH's leg gets better soon.

Lauren - nice cool weather for your run.  Sounds like you're doing much better.  I like some IPA's but not all.  Better than wheat beers anyway.

Cherie - I didn't think southern AZ ever got humid.  At least it was cool for your miles today. I'm sorry you had to spend your anniversary apart.  Hopefully you can celebrate when he returns.

Mitch - I agree, it is always nice to see long lasting marriages, if they are good ones.  Growing up I only knew two happy long term marriages.  Most of the ones I saw close up were anything but.

Kristin - I'll read your RR after I finish here.

AFM:  today was supposed to be a rest day, but the weather was good and our hike was a short one, so when we stopped for ice cream, I decided to run the three miles home and make it my first 40+ mile week.  Since next week is supposed to be very hot and humid, I'll be doing most of my miles indoors, so today was my last chance for a really nice outdoor run.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It was raining since Mile 2 so the 93F went down to 74F and I had a great time running in the downpour.  The thunder and lightning during the last mile scared me to death, but I made it home safe and sound.

Damaris