Beginners and Beyond

When Do you Retire your Race Shoes? (Read 78 times)

The only shoes I have that don't see much training work are Mizuno Ekiden flats.  They won't retire until there's something physically broken, i.e. a hole in the upper or totally worn down heels.

I do have an oldish pair of Saucony Mirages that don't get any time in training rotation now, but are reserved for possible race situations where I need an emerald green/chartreuse shoe. /Girl.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I go by tread wear and it's usually right about 400.

MothAudio

When you say retire, I took that to mean retire from competition. That's usually between 100-150 miles at which point they become daily trainers since I use the same shoe for both.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

tracilynn

The purplish ones are the cutest. Good choice!

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

For 2 or 3 races a year, I don't have dedicated racing shoes.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If you've never the Ravenna, just make sure you put more than a couple of runs on them before you jump into 26.2. It's not the shoe itself, but something different than you've been wearing.

I have a specific pair that I wear only for races, I don't train in them. I do put a few miles on them when first trying them out though.

Ravenna's were my very first shoe, before they stopped making the "1's" and started to 2's but the 2's never felt right so I am hoping the 5's feel much better and have nearly the same support as my GT 2000 2's. I'll probably put in a couple a easy runs, then a MLR and then a LR on them just to see how they do, maybe a total of 25 or 30 miles.... we'll see.

My current race shoes are the GT 2000's and I wore them around yesterday thinking that my current regular day shoes are feeling and looking like shit, but after an hour in them my ankles and shins began to hurt.....  not sure why that is.

tracilynn - they are, aren't they!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Begrudgingly I retire mine at about 500 miles, though I have managed to eke out close to 1,000 on some pairs. Even that is disappointing considering I use to get 2,000 out of a pair back in the 70s and 80s.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Begrudgingly I retire mine at about 500 miles, though I have managed to eke out close to 1,000 on some pairs. Even that is disappointing considering I use to get 2,000 out of a pair back in the 70s and 80s.

I think my main thing is I want a cute new pair for my very first marathon 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

B-Plus

I think my main thing is I want a cute new pair for my very first marathon 

I usually like to treat myself to a new racing outfit for a marathon as well. Then my old racing outfit gets relegated to daily use ... just like the shoes!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I usually like to treat myself to a new racing outfit for a marathon as well. Then my old racing outfit gets relegated to daily use ... just like the shoes!

Lol, I am a little more picky when it comes to a racing outfit, so far I feel I am going to stick to my usual capri's for the marathon or one of the other two pairs as they seem to fit okay when running. My usual capri's have been fitting perfectly for the last couple of years and I know I won't chafe with capri's on. Even though I would love to wear shorts during the marathon  oh well lol.

And I won't make the same mistake this year and wear my under armor long sleeves  as long as the temp is above 35-40 degrees I'll just deal with chill for the beginning and the first few miles.

PRs

outoftheblue

At 500 miles I retire my shoes from "racing", but still use them for shorter and recovery runs until that have around 800 or so miles on them.   Then they become my "beater" shoes to do chores/gardening in.  I like to get my money's worth!

Life is good.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I said 500 but I get more than that. Usually 650 or so. I go by the wear pattern. I know when they are pretty gone and need to be relegated to the yard shoes category

Marjorie

Half Crazy K 2.0

Finish Line had some colors of the Ravenna 5 on sale today for $69.99. I was ready to whip out my credit card and they don't carry a women's 10.5, the sales clerk tried to tell me they don't make one, the pair I already have at home proves otherwise. So if you wear any size but that, it looks like you can get some on-line (I was at their store in an outlet mall).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Finish Line had some colors of the Ravenna 5 on sale today for $69.99. I was ready to whip out my credit card and they don't carry a women's 10.5, the sales clerk tried to tell me they don't make one, the pair I already have at home proves otherwise. So if you wear any size but that, it looks like you can get some on-line (I was at their store in an outlet mall).

sorry about that. I wear a size 8.5 and I bought a pair on runningwarehouse.com for the $115.00 or something like that. It won't be available until September 15, but I am okay with that. It's a cute color.

PRs

StepbyStep-SH

My reply was 300, meaning I wouldn't usually run a marathon in shoes with over 300 miles on them, but I'll keep wearing them for shorter training runs for another 100 miles or so beyond that, until my legs start feeling beat up.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.